over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low reps vs high reps during cut

SlickNYC

Registered
So many different opinions on this but just wanna hear what some of you guys think. I’ve been doing a 4 day split for years and it’s been pretty effective but I really need to change things up. Thinking of doing a push/pull/legs routine and woukd love some input. If my goal is to maintain muscle while cutting - what rep range and amount of sets woukd you guys recommend as well as rest between sets? I was thinking 2-3 sets of each excercise with 4-6 reps on compound movements and 10 reps on the isolation movement. For example
3 sets reverse grip bench x 6 reps
3 sets flat bench 6 reps
3 sets overhead press 6 reps
3 sets incline flys 8-10 reps
3 sets front lateral raises 8-10 reps
3 sets cable crossovers 10 reps
3 sets side laterals 8-10 teps
3 set tricep dip 8-10 reps
3 sets tricep extension 10 reps.

do rear delts pull day?

You maintain muscle by training it the same way you built it; that's different for everyone. You have to continue challenging it to give the body a reason to retain it, particularly in a caloric deficit.

If you have an effective routine don't change it just for the sake of change. You don't have to switch programs or exercises every X weeks or whatever; when you find the stuff that works for your body you just keep hammering it via progressive overload.

I do rear delts on a pull day with back width / traps / biceps.

I agree with Danieltx. Keep doing what you're doing. Natural lifters usually have to drop their volume via fewer sets, but enhanced lifters may continue to "progress" with their overload.

You won't hang onto the muscle if you reduce loads significantly, especially when calorie restricted unless your body thinks it MUST keep it.

My last few preps I trained as hard and as heavy as possible.

You maintain muscle by training it the same way you built it; that's different for everyone. You have to continue challenging it to give the body a reason to retain it, particularly in a caloric deficit.

If you have an effective routine don't change it just for the sake of change. You don't have to switch programs or exercises every X weeks or whatever; when you find the stuff that works for your body you just keep hammering it via progressive overload.

Can’t agree more with this for years I kept doing the next best thing once I found what works for me I continue to use it when dieting down or just trying to build some size and strength

Good point. I’ve basically been doing the same split and pretty much the same exercises for 15 years with slight tweaks here and there. I simply like the routine And always had good results so I felt no need to switch it up. Maybe I can just switch out more Exercises but Maybe you guys are right about not trying to fix what’s not broken.

You won't hang onto the muscle if you reduce loads significantly, especially when calorie restricted unless your body thinks it MUST keep it.

My last few preps I trained as hard and as heavy as possible.
Haven’t trained “heavy“ in 10 years But have gone moderate with the weights and various different approaches with my cuts. Looked the best I’ve ever looked in 2014. Might have to go a bit heavier to achieve that look again but damn it’s hard at 50yo lol

Dante just addressed this

If you train hard and to failure you will maintain muscle. I'm interpreting the higher reps as a safety precaution.
I train moderate weights at 6-10 rep range. When I was under 40 I’d do 5 or fewer reps with heavy weights. Yes- my body is banged up and have a weak lower back due to multiple herniated disks. Don’t want to end up with sciatica again

I'd agree with what the others' have said. I'd reduce my volume before reducing intensity on the main lifts. If you want to do high reps , I'd add them to the isolations. Or(Taking the program you posted)

One example of another method is on bench
Bench 2 sets of 6 reps maintaining your usual poundage , 1 set of 15-20

I don’t understand why people have sets and reps..just keep moving the fucking bar and adding weight until the bar stops!

stop counting reps and sets! Go until you are fucking done!

that cookie cutter 3 sets of whatever bullshit needs to stop..the magazine industry died but that shit just keeps on going

I don’t understand why people have sets and reps..just keep moving the fucking bar and adding weight until the bar stops!

that cookie cutter 3 sets of whatever bullshit needs to stop..the magazine industry died but that shit just keeps on going
This is true lol. Failure is the most effective.

I just told someone what I did today and they said "too much" . Why? lol Just train hard

70's bodybuilding style. Volume, variation and intensity

The "scientific approach" really ruined bodybuilding imo

I train moderate weights at 6-10 rep range. When I was under 40 I’d do 5 or fewer reps with heavy weights. Yes- my body is banged up and have a weak lower back due to multiple herniated disks. Don’t want to end up with sciatica again
As Dante will tell you when you get older you still train heavy, but your failure point is higher. I never fail below 10-12 now, and go as high as 20 with rest pause.
This suits us older guys well (I'm 52 this year).

As Dante will tell you when you get older you still train heavy, but your failure point is higher. I never fail below 10-12 now, and go as high as 20 with rest pause.
This suits us older guys well (I'm 52 this year).
I’m slowing transitioning there I’ll have one heavy set (my first ) of 8 reps then everything else is 10-12 failure I was having a ton of issues with my joints and tendons this past year. I feel much better like this than constantly staying at the 6-8 rep range

I agree with everyone who says that you eventually find what works best for you and then keep doing just that despite off-season vs in-season dieting. However, if changing a workout gives new excitement to be in the gym than it can be worth it. Sometimes doing the same thing for so long you just need a break from the monotony while a change in routine can spark new growth.

The only difference between off-season and cutting training would be that you may have more unilateral movements and longer rest time between sets, especially if you are natural.

I always start my routines with a basic exercise in 6-8 reps, this exercise will serve as a guide to know if you are maintaining strength.

It is possible that in the last weeks you decide to loosen it a bit if you feel weakness, risk of injury, etc ... but this is only for those who seek the contest condition.

This is true lol. Failure is the most effective.

I just told someone what I did today and they said "too much" . Why? lol Just train hard

70's bodybuilding style. Volume, variation and intensity
I just feel like people truly limit themselves..I personally have never been done at 3 sets..and if you aren’t done, then what’s the point of moving on to the next exercise just to check a box!

you don’t have to go to complete failure...just smash that shit and lose all track of reps and set numbers

I'd agree with what the others' have said. I'd reduce my volume before reducing intensity on the main lifts. If you want to do high reps , I'd add them to the isolations. Or(Taking the program you posted)

One example of another method is on bench
Bench 2 sets of 6 reps maintaining your usual poundage , 1 set of 15-20
I’m thinking about doing this. Might just try to go with heavier weight and cut down the reps and volume. Same split but more intensity. I also agree with the number of sets and reps being just an arbitrary number. I’ve been conditioned to think my body needs X Amount of sets and X amount of reps in order to yield results. I almost always do 3-4 sets for this reason. I mean- it’s worked thus far but maybe trying something else might work even better. I am comfortable with my split and I like it so I think I’ll simply adjust the intensity, volume, and rep range. Like a warmup set and then 2 heavy sets with the last one till failure @ 2-4 reps. Then rep out with my finishing isolation movements.

I just feel like people truly limit themselves..I personally have never been done at 3 sets..and if you aren’t done, then what’s the point of moving on to the next exercise just to check a box!

you don’t have to go to complete failure...just smash that shit and lose all track of reps and set numbers
I agree with this and that’s also my thought process but at the same time if I do let’s say 4 sets of bench press with fairly high intensity - I can feel my chest starting to fatigue by end of that but it’s not hard to get through the rest of my workout- it’s just that I feel like I’m using up too much of my strength on the first excercise if that makes any sense. I think I will try just doing 2 sets of each compound with high intensity and heavy weigh with Lower reps then finishing excercises with the higher reps.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131