over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements Linked With Heart Rhythm Disorder

Bloxz

Registered

Omega-3 supplements are associated with an increased likelihood of developing atrial fibrillation in people with high blood lipids. That’s the finding of a study published today in European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, a journal of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).[1]

“Currently, fish oil supplements are indicated for patients with elevated plasma triglycerides to reduce cardiovascular risk,”[2] said study author Dr. Salvatore Carbone of Virginia Commonwealth University, US. “Due to the high prevalence of elevated triglycerides in the population, they can be commonly prescribed. Of note, low dose omega-3 fatty acids are available over the counter, without the need for a prescription.”

Some clinical trials have suggested that omega-3 fatty acids may be associated with an increased risk for atrial fibrillation, the most common heart rhythm disorder. People with the disorder have a five times greater likelihood of having a stroke.[3]
These studies tested different formulations of omega-3 fatty acids at different doses. The authors therefore performed a comprehensive meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials to answer the question of whether fish oils were consistently related to a raised risk for atrial fibrillation.

The analysis included five randomized controlled trials investigating the effects of omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on cardiovascular outcomes. Participants had elevated triglycerides and were either at high risk for cardiovascular disease or had established cardiovascular disease. A total of 50,277 patients received fish oils or placebo and were followed up for between 2 and 7.4 years. The dose of fish oils varied from 0.84 g to 4 g per day.

The researchers found that omega-3 fatty acid supplementation was associated with a significantly increased risk for atrial fibrillation compared to placebo with an incidence rate ratio of 1.37 (95% confidence interval 1.22-1.54; p<0.001).

Dr. Carbone said: “Our study suggests that fish oil supplements are associated with a significantly greater risk of atrial fibrillation in patients at elevated cardiovascular risk. Although one clinical trial indicated beneficial cardiovascular effects of supplementation,[4] the risk for atrial fibrillation should be considered when such agents are prescribed or purchased over the counter, especially in individuals susceptible to developing the heart rhythm disorder.”

There are people who take tons of fish oil for really no good reason, it's a bad habit. It can mess with blood sugar, as well

Valliere said he takes five tablespoons a day. Given his diet, I don't think him or Patrick know that that's 600 calories and 70 g of fat. That would hardly fit into his high carb, low fat macros. For some reason a lot of people think fish oil has no calories. That's it's just a supplement like Zinc.

This was Lyle's response to the study....or him quoting the study's limitations....

This study has some limitations such as the lack of systematic haemorrhagic risk of the patients, the lack of a systematic search for AF events in the individual studies, and the fact that some of the studies did not include AF as a prespecified outcome, potentially resulting in under-reporting of AF-related events. We conducted a study-level meta-analysis, with individual aspects of the participants not being accounted for. Moreover, although placebo arms were often different among the trials, we did not find heterogeneity in the results. Finally, we only included a sensitivity analysis on the VITAL rhythm results presented at the American Heart Association 2020, as the fully data have not been disclosed yet.

In conclusion, our study suggests that O3FA supplementation is associated with an increased risk of AF in patients with elevated plasma triglyceride and at elevated CV risk. This proposes that the risk of AF should be considered when prescribing O3FA supplementation in this population.

In the random effect model, O3FA supplementation was associated with an increased risk of incident AF as compared with placebo [IRR 1.37, 95% CI (1.22–1.54), P < 0.001] (Figure 1). There were no significant statistical heterogeneity between studies and no publication bias, even if the funnel plot suggested some asymmetry. As a sensitivity analysis, we included the VITAL rhythm trial. Results confirmed a higher risk of AF in the group receiving O3FA supplementation as compared with placebo [IRR 1.29, 95% CI (1.13–1.48), P = 0.0002] (Supplementary material online, Figure S1).

This was Lyle's response to the study....or him quoting the study's limitations....

This study has some limitations such as the lack of systematic haemorrhagic risk of the patients, the lack of a systematic search for AF events in the individual studies, and the fact that some of the studies did not include AF as a prespecified outcome, potentially resulting in under-reporting of AF-related events. We conducted a study-level meta-analysis, with individual aspects of the participants not being accounted for. Moreover, although placebo arms were often different among the trials, we did not find heterogeneity in the results. Finally, we only included a sensitivity analysis on the VITAL rhythm results presented at the American Heart Association 2020, as the fully data have not been disclosed yet.

In conclusion, our study suggests that O3FA supplementation is associated with an increased risk of AF in patients with elevated plasma triglyceride and at elevated CV risk. This proposes that the risk of AF should be considered when prescribing O3FA supplementation in this population.

In the random effect model, O3FA supplementation was associated with an increased risk of incident AF as compared with placebo [IRR 1.37, 95% CI (1.22–1.54), P < 0.001] (Figure 1). There were no significant statistical heterogeneity between studies and no publication bias, even if the funnel plot suggested some asymmetry. As a sensitivity analysis, we included the VITAL rhythm trial. Results confirmed a higher risk of AF in the group receiving O3FA supplementation as compared with placebo [IRR 1.29, 95% CI (1.13–1.48), P = 0.0002] (Supplementary material online, Figure S1).
Does Lyle have articles on the board?

Does Lyle have articles on the board?

No brother, it's his FB discussion forum mainly to discuss new studies that come out, but he gives links to his writings from his bodyrecomposition page, as well as his interviews. People post up questions about various health related topics though....well, as long as they are research-based and oriented.

The late Charles Poliquin used to advise megadosing fish oil. Like 30-50 gr per day.

He died of a heart attack. Not implying the fish oil was to blame but something is definitely fishy there.
Im intrigued. My LDL was high and my triglycerides were too so I replaced two meals with salmon and veggies. Also take 2g epa/DHT at night. . I’m only 6 weeks in but both my ldl and triglycerides have dropped. And my joints feel a little better.

Definitely want to look into this more though...

Im intrigued. My LDL was high and my triglycerides were too so I replaced two meals with salmon and veggies. Also take 2g epa/DHT at night. . I’m only 6 weeks in but both my ldl and triglycerides have dropped. And my joints feel a little better.

Definitely want to look into this more though...
I definitely wouldn't follow Poliquin's megadosing protocol bro. Not saying that's what killed him or that it even played any role whatsoever as I simply don't know all of the details regarding his death but taking in 30+ gr of fish oil each day can't be good.

I think what you're doing now is good and the results show for it. Don't fall into the mistake of thinking that more is going to bring even more improvements.

Next week there will be another fish oil study claiming the opposite.

I’m mega dozing fish oil right now as an experiment and my blood sugar isn’t raised anymore than fasted which was 82 this morning. Yes, I use my glucometer

I am now on 2g Superba Krill oil a day for 1 month, then going maintenance 1g a day. Your say?

This is insane. There are too many studies to count showing extremely beneficial effects from quality fish oil supplements in high doses. The medical establishment loves to discredit fish oil by pointing out shitty brands or too low of a dose, or the wrong balance of epa/dha.

Taking above a 3-4'ish grams of EPA/DHA has not really shown a lot of benefit in most research. Poliquin got a little whacky towards the end of his life in his nutrition recommendations. Lyle IIRC recommends somewhere between 1.8-3'ish grams of total EPA/DHA....which is where most of the research has reflected the most benefits. He has promoted that amount for a long time, based off research, and he has thus far pretty much nailed it....again going many years back and up 'til today.

For those of you who do take large doses, mega dosing or what have you, what do you see as the benefits? What's the reasoning behind it?

cognitive results. It's a test. It's not something I want to do longterm. My results what as the next person. I do feel like I see a marked improvement in stress management and sleep.

No brother, it's his FB discussion forum mainly to discuss new studies that come out, but he gives links to his writings from his bodyrecomposition page, as well as his interviews. People post up questions about various health related topics though....well, as long as they are research-based and oriented.
Thank you! I’ll try to find him on FB.

I think in general fish oil is one of many supplements people rely on too much for "gains" and "health"

Some take sups for health yet 0 or minimal cardio. As for fish oil, id prefer salmon and healthy fats from food. If I needed to supplement it, Carlsons liquid. I can't imagine the stuff on the shelf at CVS is high quality.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131