Ketogenic diet?

b-boy

IFBB Pro / Quadruple Featured Member/ Verified Cus
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
My favorite way of eating, most of the year I stay on a ketogenic diet, I do go through periods of eating carbohydrates but the majority of the year I'm keto. So why keto? First off there is NOTHING magical about ketogenic diet or ANY diet for that matter, it's all about what is sustainable for you and what you prefer to eat.
Myself I love fatty foods, I function very very well on ketones, my strength goes up in the gym, my training intensity and stamina goes up.....yes I said stamina! Very odd but when im running off fat as fuel I become very efficient at story glycogen and my energy goes through the roof so my stamina in the gym and cardio goes up significantly. I honestly don't too many bodybuilders that thrive in ketosis but I sure as hell do, I know Brad Rowe loves keto and like me stays ketogenic the majority of the year.
Can you build muscle on a ketogenic diet? Well I sure the fuck can, but its always more of a recomp type gaines, I lose bodyfat and gain muscle, I just don't get that blown up doll look like carbs and slin, I still get great fullness from all the sodium in my diet and good pumps but not that over the top blown up look, but honestly that is only two carb up day away any time I want it.
Did I say I love fat? ...LOL I fucking love whole eggs and cheese, fatty cuts of meat like grilled chicken thighs, I love avacados, bacon, 80/20 ground beef, grilled Salmon. I can honestly eat like this for the rest of my life and that fact makes it the most successful diet FOR ME.

DINNER LAST NIGHT
80/20 hamburger with a green bell pepper bun, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, two strips of bacon and half avacado topped with G. Hughes sugar free hickory BBQ sauce. 20210505_220957.jpg

What typically is your pre workout meal? Protein and fat, or just a lean protein source?

How long did it take for you to become fat-adapted as far energy expenditure goes? I've tried keto for short stints (up to 12 months), and while I've always lost body fat I could never maintain strength or size. I believe it was the fat-adapted endurance athlete and nutrition expert Ben Greenfield who said that it can take up to 18 months for some to become truly fat-adapted. Perhaps I didn't give it a long enough run to become efficient at using fat in place of carbs as energy. I also struggled with insomnia during my keto runs, and later saw the Bulletproof Diet guy, Dave Asprey, suggest eating a sweet potato or single serving of white rice before bed. This worked for me, and led me to wonder what keto does to upset sleep cycles (up-regulate adrenalin and/or cortisol?).

I loved the mental clarity on keto! My hunger pangs were always under control and I loved the food!

I greatly envy you being able to eat like this while looking like you do. More power to you!

Every meal is protein and fat. A lot of times I train fasted first thing in the morning though. Trained legs last night at around 6pm and preworkout meal was 70 grams of TN's isolate ultra-cfm (salted caramel) mixed in 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk and 40 grams of natural peanutbutter with a small piece of keto chocolate bar (cocoa, coconut oil, stevia)

How long did it take for you to become fat-adapted as far energy expenditure goes? I've tried keto for short stints (up to 12 months), and while I've always lost body fat I could never maintain strength or size. I believe it was the fat-adapted endurance athlete and nutrition expert Ben Greenfield who said that it can take up to 18 months for some to become truly fat-adapted. Perhaps I didn't give it a long enough run to become efficient at using fat in place of carbs as energy. I also struggled with insomnia during my keto runs, and later saw the Bulletproof Diet guy, Dave Asprey, suggest eating a sweet potato or single serving of white rice before bed. This worked for me, and led me to wonder what keto does to upset sleep cycles (up-regulate adrenalin and/or cortisol?).

I loved the mental clarity on keto! My hunger pangs were always under control and I loved the food!

I greatly envy you being able to eat like this while looking like you do. More power to you!
Good questions!
I felt it took me about 2 months to become fat adapted, maybe because I had tried keto here and there before. The cool thing about becoming fat adapted is that it makes transitioning back into keto after going off a freaking breeze, my goal was to always become metabolically efficient where I can switch fuel sources very easily and I'm at that point which makes me comfortable no matter what diet I run, I switch very easily and quickly.

The sleep thing...LOL yes at first it happened to me also, I would wake several times per night, oddly it's like that also prepping for a show when you really start getting lean (striated glutes), maybe it from the ramp in metabolism and increased fat burning and like you said cortisol. Dieting and rapid fat loss is a catabolic situation and maybe it's a survival technique telling you to get up and search for food?

A large piece of meat or fish, some vegetables and a cool homemade sauce with a lot of fats - what could be better? It's a pity, but it turned out that my digestive system cannot work on this.

When you're in keto phases, do you do carb meals on any sort of regular cadence or just stick with protein and fats the whole time?

Keto or CKD is how I plan to eat after I'm doing being huge. Yeah it's fun to eat a bunch of tasty carb, but my digestion is much better with just protein and fats and I just feel better overall.

I remember MP doing a video on diets and he said keto was his favorite for staying on long term but his bloodwork was not good on keto. I have personally never done a true keto looks amazing maybe I’ll try it one day.

When you're in keto phases, do you do carb meals on any sort of regular cadence or just stick with protein and fats the whole time?

Keto or CKD is how I plan to eat after I'm doing being huge. Yeah it's fun to eat a bunch of tasty carb, but my digestion is much better with just protein and fats and I just feel better overall.
I will go long periods of time without carbs, if fat loss stalls then I will do a skipload for 1 day then back into ketosis as fast as possible, this has always worked for me. Also if for any reason my strength or performance takes a dip then I will also add a 1 day skipload.

Made some peanutbutter mousse last night, turned out delicious!
Whipped some heavy whipping cream up in the ninja blender added some creamy natural peanutbutter (kroger brand) and some liquid splenda, refrigerated over night and damn its good as hell today, nice little dessert snack.

20210506_104619.jpg

Breakfast this morning (10:00 am)
80/20 cheddar cheeseburger cooked in the air fryer, 2 slices of bacon, half an avacado, cream cheese, G Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce

The bun was made in the waffle maker and its 1 egg mixes with cheddar cheese cooked 3 min. Turned out delicious 😋

I also love keto and agree with pretty much everything you've said about it. My girl and I were on it for a full year and just took a 5 month break before starting it again last week (she was diagnosed with cancer 5 months ago and we kind of went off the rails with our diet).
I have more energy, less bloat, improved blood work (except for LDL, it went up). It also took me a couple of months to become fat adapted.
My triglycerides improved, HDL improved, Blood Pressure improved but LDL went up. My girl's LDL improved.

Even though my pre keto diet was pretty clean I didn't realize how bloated and shitty I had felt until going keto.

I lost a little more weight than I wanted to in the year I was on it. This time I'll add calories and/or cheat days/carbs to avoid that.
I didn't gain any muscle but at 51 years old that's not my goal anymore either.

b-boy I'll have to try your egg and cheddar bun. We've experimented with many different bread recipes. Some are good and some were not.

i like carbs every other day eating similar to how you do on the non carb days. i feel better this way. carbs might be 200 on the carb day. every once in a while a really good meal pulling out all the stop with an appetizer, desert, etc. i dont like the term cheat meal because i'm not cheating on anything and i'm not eating garbage. to me leptin is a very important factor in dieting.

B boy you do 70% fat or higher protein?

Why do keto diet?
Not a single top guy does keto right?
i think of ronnie, jay.... jay ate 1000gm carbs some days
so keto seems totally unessacry and not conducive to bbing imo bc glycogen and etc are important factors
would u step up on stage w zero carbs? doubt it. so why diet that way?
super curious....
-F

Why do keto diet?
so keto seems totally unessacry and not conducive to bbing imo bc glycogen and etc are important factors
super curious....
-F
B-boy looks like a beast to me! And can you imagine what he’d look like if he carb-loaded the week before a show? It seems to me that he’d be lean from the keto and full from the shock of a sudden infusion of glycogen. In the end, the question as far as bodybuilding goes, in my mind, is whether one can train intensely while on keto. I haven’t had success on this front personally, but it doesn’t appear to be a problem for b-boy!

Six weeks to get "fat adapted". At 12 months you were as adapted as you will get. Greenfield is pulling shit out his ass.

As for sleep, it's related to the reduction in carbs that help drive tryptophan across the BB barrier which drives melatonin production. For people who have sleep issues with low carb a suggestion is to have a large meal prior to bed. The larger the meal, the greater the insulin response which equals more tryp crossing the BB barrier.

Why do keto diet?
super curious....
-F
The more posts I read from you, the more I realize you just don't get it.

The more posts I read from you, the more I realize you just don't get it.
lol
i get FAR more than u can imagine. right now sounds like u dont get it or maybe u could explain why a keto diet?
you answer the question then.
why keto diet?
i been trained by milos sracev and phil hernon amongst others. i worked for milos for couple years met and spoke w every top olympic candidate from 2002-2004 they all had to come thru milos gym for photo shoot.
so i really would like to know why keto?
i can explain benefits of carbs in diet for bbing purposes. but not lack of them.
so always been curious why a bber would wanna do keto diet?
i tried it and hated it. did carbs w every meal and felt great and got peeled.

i also know bboy trained under phil hernons guidance for a bit and never did keto
so i am curious why he is choosing a keto diet now
thats hard to imagine for u? lil dense eh?
-F

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity