eGFR AFRICAN AMERICAN 137 Reference Range: > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2

OCCULT BLOOD TRACE
COLOR YELLOW
PROTEIN +1

other notable numbers
HEMATOCRIT 52.1 Reference Range: 38.5-50.0 %

-31 year old white male 5'9 245lbs
-moderate gear use (test/npp/anadrol)
-take lisinopril for blood pressure, but did not take it the night before the test or the day of
-been taking astralagus 3g per day for a couple weeks.
-high protein diet 400g+

the night before i took the test, i had 90g of whey protein isolate in a shake with no carbs for fats

curious about the presence of blood/protein in my urine even 3 days after a workout

thoughts?

last bloodwork had numbers about the same, but there was no protein in my urine. i had not worked out for a good while before that test because i was injured.

this was about 2 years ago

3 days is a short rest time, try 5 or even 10 days.

It's also not the best idea to have a ton of protein the day before your test.

3 days is a short rest time, try 5 or even 10 days.

It's also not the best idea to have a ton of protein the day before your test.
Very good points

had trouble getting my meals in the day before the test, so the protein shake seemed like a necessity

is 3 days really not enough time to get over exercise-induced proteinuria?

I've had protein off and on in urine for years. One doc told me drop all whey, Creatine, supplements, then come back and retest. She said this is what her CrossFit athletes do for her when their kidney values are off and when they retest numbers come back fine. I did as she said and it was fine for what it's worth. This particular doctor said that any supplements including protein shakes can cause kidney numbers to be off. Not gospel but one person's experience.

Creatinine looks great especially at your BMI, but ideally you don't want protein in urine. Why such high protein intake?

I've had protein off and on in urine for years. One doc told me drop all whey, Creatine, supplements, then come back and retest. She said this is what her CrossFit athletes do for her when their kidney values are off and when they retest numbers come back fine. I did as she said and it was fine for what it's worth. This particular doctor said that any supplements including protein shakes can cause kidney numbers to be off. Not gospel but one person's experience.

Creatinine looks great especially at your BMI, but ideally you don't want protein in urine. Why such high protein intake?

thanks for your post

yeah i reckon the 90g whey shake before bed could have swayed things a bit

as for why the high protein, ive always subscribed to higher protein intake..

400g at my bodyweight is not even 2g per pound though

just gonna bump this up one time and see if i can get any more input

The best play is to retest, take 4-5 days off before the next lab, hydrate, and drop the protein intake in the meantime.

You mentioned you are eating 400g of protein. Remember carbs are protein sparing so if you are eating carbs, you dont need as much protein as you think you do (probably). No one can tell you that you dont need this much protein obviously but you can almost certainly get away with less. If you test again and it comes back good, I would do it once more. If it comes back the second time as good, and you feel you need to, you can always increase it back to ~400g.

just gonna bump this up one time and see if i can get any more input

The best play is to retest, take 4-5 days off before the next lab, hydrate, and drop the protein intake in the meantime.

You mentioned you are eating 400g of protein. Remember carbs are protein sparing so if you are eating carbs, you dont need as much protein as you think you do (probably). No one can tell you that you dont need this much protein obviously but you can almost certainly get away with less. If you test again and it comes back good, I would do it once more. If it comes back the second time as good, and you feel you need to, you can always increase it back to ~400g.

thanks for the post.

yeah, i imagine that i dont need 400g or even 350g.. but i just like eating meat, eggs, etc.

id be happy to replace protein with carbs.. would save a good chunk of change.

paging Dr. Dante, Dr. Stewie, and Dr. Kaladryn

@Kaladryn @DOGGCRAPP @Stewie

Very good points

had trouble getting my meals in the day before the test, so the protein shake seemed like a necessity

is 3 days really not enough time to get over exercise-induced proteinuria?

For liver values it is necessary to rest longer, like 7-10 days, it also depends on its intensity and duration of each workout, and how many weeks in a row you have been training without taking breaks, probably many months, right?

Everyone should know this by now!

ANSWER: Myoglobin shows up on a dipstick as protein in the urine, this is completely normal, dipsticks are not accurate. You know a dipstick was used because of the "+1" anyone weight training is going to have some myoglobin in their urine.

If you want your hematocrit lower, do cardio, this will increase blood volume, it'll also get you off the BP meds.

Everyone should know this by now!

ANSWER: Myoglobin shows up on a dipstick as protein in the urine, this is completely normal, dipsticks are not accurate. You know a dipstick was used because of the "+1" anyone weight training is going to have some myoglobin in their urine.

If you want your hematocrit lower, do cardio, this will increase blood volume, it'll also get you off the BP meds.

It was a urinalysis

i imagine the same rule applies tho

Also, do you compete? What bodyfat? I'm no doctor but your BMI is very high that alone with high protein over 400 mg is going to strain your body. What is blood pressure, am fasted glucose?

Also, do you compete? What bodyfat? I'm no doctor but your BMI is very high that alone with high protein over 400 mg is going to strain your body. What is blood pressure, am fasted glucose?

no competing, just never ending quest to get bigger

don’t know bf, but abs are visible. I’m on the tail end of a gaining phase at the moment

just got my results back for a kidney panel with urinalysis

took 3 days off gym before test.

last workout was a hard leg workout.

UREA NITROGEN (BUN) 17 Reference Range: 7-25 mg/dL
CREATININE 0.81 Reference Range: 0.60-1.35 mg/dL
eGFR NON-AFR. AMERICAN 118 Reference Range: > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2
eGFR AFRICAN AMERICAN 137 Reference Range: > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2

OCCULT BLOOD TRACE
COLOR YELLOW
PROTEIN +1

other notable numbers
HEMATOCRIT 52.1 Reference Range: 38.5-50.0 %

-31 year old white male 5'9 245lbs
-moderate gear use (test/npp/anadrol)
-take lisinopril for blood pressure, but did not take it the night before the test or the day of
-been taking astralagus 3g per day for a couple weeks.
-high protein diet 400g+

the night before i took the test, i had 90g of whey protein isolate in a shake with no carbs for fats

curious about the presence of blood/protein in my urine even 3 days after a workout

thoughts?

Urine dipstick are not accurate, you should ask for protein excreted in urine ( i dont really know if its the correct name in english ) and you have a better guide.

Does anyone have a link or more information about why a urine dipstick is not accurate? This is the first time I have read this.

Does anyone have a link or more information about why a urine dipstick is not accurate? This is the first time I have read this.

If you google "urine dipstick test" there are quite a few studies and articles on the accuracy of them from predicting UTI's to their accuracy regarding protein in your urine etc.

The general thought is (and what I was taught in college) they absolutely have issues but are a good first line test that if something is off you would say "hmmm....maybe everything is fine, but let's check on that".

I would recommend everyone gets a basic urine dipstick (it's cheap and it is a good first line peak at what's happening), add microscopic examination, but also add urine microalbumin : creatinine ratio test if you want a good look at kidney function regarding urine in a one time test. It will detect tiny particles of protein a dipstick will not, it's highly accurate, and it uses a ratio so it takes into account hydration levels. It will add $50 to $100 to get that.

My two go to tests for kidneys are cystatin c and microalbumin:creatinine ratio spot urine test. If both of those are stable and normal you are likely in great shape re: kidney function.

Dipstick Analysis: The accuracy of bedside dipstick analysis for hematuria, proteinuria, or urinary tract infection is a subject of much interest and practicality to emergency physicians. Overall, the results of dipstick analysis of urine are not as accurate as thought by many clinicians, and have a number of false-positive and false-negative results. It should also be noted that the commonly used urine dipstick has a finite lifespan, should be kept in a closed container, and should not be constantly exposed to air. Testing with outdated and improperly stored materials can lead to erroneous results.

That is just a small snippet from an article but there has actually been quite a few studies or general observational and practical analysis of dipstick tests in ED's the last decade.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131