over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Injuries even at 15 reps minimum?

mitochondria

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
So about 7 years ago I had completely ruptured my pec major tendon. Made full fine recovery, eventually worked my way up to lifting decently heavy again but now have always kept the rep ranges at least 15 minimum. Before was aiming for at least 3 on my heaviest lifts then drop setting down. So I did get back on and strength came back up. About 2 months in and got a twitch in same side as ruptured tendon, but not a complete rupture as I was able to rerack the weight and just had pain and some slight strength loss. So saw doc and were getting mri since he is curios is one of the screws popped off the humerus. I did get slight bruising but nothing compared to the full rupture. He said hes never hear of anyone re-rupturing a tendon so dont know if any of you guys have ever heard or it? Hope im not the first, but I have a strong feeling it was just a muscle tear, but its my first tear to cause bruising so kind of unique. I have ripped the pec muscle before as well as hamstrings but no bruising. So now if feel like at least for bench once this fully heals i am going to keep my reps at like 25 if not 30 minimum. I dont know i guess my press is too strong for all my pec area muscle tendons etc so not trying to go under the knife again and def not for the same tendon. Any of you guys got injuries at weight you can hit at least 15 times?

Stop benching if it constantly aggravates it. Plenty of other ways to blast your forties without hurting yourself.

Unless, of course, you’re a powerlifter, in which case I’d pursue stem cell therapy.

High reps are generally safer than low reps.

But . . . bench pressing is probably the worst and perhaps the most
dangerous exercise for your chest and shoulders. As was said above,
plenty of other safer, more effective ways to develop the chest.

If you want to repeat your unfortunate injury, just keep bench pressing.

To all those who have concerns about bench press safety, how do you feel about machine presses? Like a seated chest press machine, where the handles moves at a fixed, slight arch (as opposed to on a straight line)

What are the other options? I’ve heard of people hurting themselves with dips and flies. Seems chest is just a vulnerable muscle...

What are the other options? I’ve heard of people hurting themselves with dips and flies. Seems chest is just a vulnerable muscle...
I think too much of an extreme range of motion plays a part in this. Excessive stretch at the bottom of both bench and dips. A couple years back I stopped touching my chest, although I only do decline, did wonders for my chest and delt health. I stop an inch or so before my chest. On dips I probably only go down until my upper arm is just below parallel to the floor.

I only use machines, dumbells, floor presses woth dumbells, and the smith for benching these days. Keep the elbows in
There’s about a billion variations of these too. I do banded dumbell presses, banded smith presses, reverse banded smith presses, banded machine presses, I use grip4rce grips on all these for more variation. Incline, flat, slight incline, etc...There’s no need to ever do flat bench if it bugs you. It’s really not a great pec movement anyways

I think too much of an extreme range of motion plays a part in this. Excessive stretch at the bottom of both bench and dips. A couple years back I stopped touching my chest, although I only do decline, did wonders for my chest and delt health. I stop an inch or so before my chest. On dips I probably only go down until my upper arm is just below parallel to the floor.
Do you keep elbows tucked? I just ordered a slingshot on @danieltx advice...should help me retrain the movement. My shoulders are a fucking mess, even DB pressing aggravating the tendons.

OP maybe look into a slingshot?

Do you keep elbows tucked? I just ordered a slingshot on @danieltx advice...should help me retrain the movement. My shoulders are a fucking mess, even DB pressing aggravating the tendons.

No, they're probably at about a 45 degree angle to my torso. Arm angle will most definitely be dictated by a persons structure. When I powerlifted I tucked, towards the end that was murder on my elbows. Decline is the only type of bench I can do without issue. Overhead pressing is a part of my very distant pass. But I have a bunch of $10 trophies my wife saw me win! LOL

If your shoulders are a mess being stuck in a fixed position probably isn’t a good idea either

slingshots are life. I love mine.
About when does the sling shot start to kick in, what position is the bar in relative to the top of your chest? Starting to wonder about using one myself.

Which one do you guys own?

try limiting range of motion by about 20% or so away from full 'stretch'/ bottom position on presses.

I bought in to John Meadow's advice a while back and stopped shy of coming down to the chest completely. I don't feel that "vulnerable" feel at the bottom when the pec is really stretched and am still able to get nasty contractions. It takes a little getting used to and will mess with your mind at first but months later it was a great move.

Like others have said, if this is flat bench then time to ditch it! Plenty of other exercises to do that will build the chest.

Which one do you guys own?
It's irrelevant what each of us own, you buy a Slingshot based on your pressing power. Each one lists what its best for - ex. for the Mad Dog you need to benching 405+ already. You also need look at the weight-size chart to find the right fit (L, XL, etc.).

About when does the sling shot start to kick in, what position is the bar in relative to the top of your chest? Starting to wonder about using one myself.
Probably when you're descending and the arms hit a 90 degree angle - past that the Slingshot starts stretching to give you the push out of the bottom.

I bought in to John Meadow's advice a while back and stopped shy of coming down to the chest completely. I don't feel that "vulnerable" feel at the bottom when the pec is really stretched and am still able to get nasty contractions. It takes a little getting used to and will mess with your mind at first but months later it was a great move.
I bench on a Smith and don't touch my chest with the bar when I'm pressing over 225lbs - I come down as far as I comfortably can that give me a good stretch, stopping probably 2" from my chest. If not touching the chest sacrifices 5% pec development but allows me to avoid chest / shoulder injuries, it's totally worth it.

It begins to engage right about when my elbows hit 90 degrees, with my upper arm parallel to my chest.

I have the full boar XL, love it. Might grab the maddog soon. They’re shoulder savers.

all good points made. there was that recent video of a guy pooping his pec on incline as well so incline can be just as vulnerable, i dont seem to see any vids of shoulder press accidents, sitting down at least, but have heard of them messing with shoulders. Perhaps just go high reps on those, otherwise flies for high reps, or you just arent goin to be doing any kinda of pushing exercises?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws