over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PM Big Dogs, help with quads.

UsmcOldSchoolMuscle

Registered
I have been making solid gains since being healthy but my quads are not balanced to my upper body. I am considering more volume, e.g training quads twice per week, and so forth.
In the recent past (pre-pandemic) I was strictly performing H.I.T which my quads didn't seem to respond well with.

If you were to share your experience, your regiment, advice, sources, videos, social-media links, references for me to research, in fact any length of post will be greatly appreciated.

This is my typical routine for Hams and Quads:

1-
Laying or seated Hamstring Curls
Sets: 3 warm-ups 4 working sets
last set to failure. (Plan to work up to additional rest/pause reps)

2-
Leg Extensions
2-3 warm up sets 4 working sets.

3-
Traditional or Front Squats
3 warm up sets 3 working sets
rep range goal is to push past 12 reps

4-
Leg Press
3 warm up sets 4 working sets
Final set past failure via additional rest/pause reps.

5-
Stiff Leg off rack (dead)lift
2 warm ups 3-4 working sets

Disclosure:
For those that are aware of my history of injury, I am working with a spinal specialty physician, a physical therapist, undertaking weekly yoga, and in mid July begin another round of chiropractic therapy.

The absolute best hamstring movement for me has been glute ham raises, or razor curls which I learned from Laura Phelps sweat. YouTube them. Amazing movement. High rep leg press has added more mass to my quads than anything else, and I’m a pretty good oly style squatter. And shit tons of sissy squat quad stretches ala dc have really helped open up my quads and allow for growth

The absolute best hamstring movement for me has been glute ham raises, or razor curls which I learned from Laura Phelps sweat. YouTube them. Amazing movement. High rep leg press has added more mass to my quads than anything else, and I’m a pretty good oly style squatter. And shit tons of sissy squat quad stretches ala dc have really helped open up my quads and allow for growth
I've read posts of your in the past referencing Hamstring movements learned from Laura Phelps Sweat, which I have saved in my phone somewhere. I shall certainly research them now that you've reiterated the information.

In case your privy on such information, what is the most economical yet steardy option for sissy squats?

I can say with 99% certainty more volume isn't the answer. If what you've been doing isn't working, doing more of it won't magically fix that.

I have one of the better sets of quads on PM but they weren't a genetic gift - I have long legs and had to work hard to get them where they are now.

Squats:
I think squats should be a component of a quard workout, but you have to find the right kind of squats for your legs. I did barbell squats for years and they did nothing for my quads. If you have long legs I think they're a particularly poor exercise.

Hack squat are what put the majority of size on my quads. The Hack squat sleds are ok, but I think the plate loaded Free Motion Hack is best (https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0...ion-Fitness-Equipment-Squat-Machine-SZ14-.jpg). This is the machine that blew my quads up.

I like ~10 reps on squats, occasionally going to 8 on my heaviest sets. I never go below that and rarely above 10.

Leg Press:
Again, you have to find the right machine for your structure. I like the Flex Fitness leg press and the Hammer Strength linear leg press best. I like 10-15 reps with a very controlled negative. I also like unilateral leg press to get an even better stretch and squeeze since I can focus on one leg at a time.

Leg Extension:
I don't think there's anything special to this, most machine are about the same. Get a good seat position so you can get full extension and stretch. I like 10-15 reps.

Adduction:
The adduction machine is the missing piece in many quad routines - you'll never put on maximal size without it. I like 10-15 reps here with as deep of a stretch as possible. I set the leg pads so they're as far back as possible and step into the machine from the back so I'm starting in the stretched position. But I'm very flexible and I know some will have a hard time with that.

Execution:
You really have to squeeze your quads as hard as possible to get the most out of them. I alock out on everything. I don't understand the 'never lock out' mindset that's preached - if I don't lock out (on any body part, not just quads), I don't get close to a full squeeze. If this means taking your weights back to 0 so you can really execute properly then do it - the muscle doesn't know how much weight it moves, only how hard you make it work.

My quads routine:
  • Hip abduction x 3
  • Hip adduction x 3
  • Leg extension x 4 (first 2 unilateral, last 2 both)
  • Hack squats x 2-3 (after as many warm up sets as I need)
  • Leg press x 4
If you really want to bring up your quads I suggest giving them their own day (same with hamstrings). I've made the most improvements on my legs on a PPL split with separate quads and hams days.

I've read posts of your in the past referencing Hamstring movements learned from Laura Phelps Sweat, which I have saved in my phone somewhere. I shall certainly research them now that you've reiterated the information.

In case your privy on such information, what is the most economical yet steardy option for sissy squats?
I don’t actually usually do sissy squats, just hang onto the post of a leg press and get into a super deep sissy squat and hold as long as you can. At least 60 seconds at a time. I do this between sets of leg presses and it blows my quads up. They make pretty cheap

Also.....with your spinal issues you need to figure out some way to belt squat. Way easier on the back than traditional squatting, and actually provides some low back traction. You can but a belt squat belt and do it on a cable or a number of ways. You’ll thank me

Here’s a sissy squat performed with bands on a squat rack. Might be a useful exercise for you incorporate. I can’t do barbell squats because of my back.

Not a big dog, more like a medium dog, my quads grew from heavy leg presses for 10-12 reps, another set of 15+, then another set of 20+, all to failure.
Hamstrings I do high rep RP of various leg curls. Sometimes SLD's.

My current leg days
A
Pendulum squat 5-9reps, 10-12
Single leg press 2x15-20
Seated leg curl 5-9,10-12
Adductor 5-9,10-12
Standing calf raise 4xrp set

B
Hack squat 5-9,10-12
Leg ext 2x15-20
Reverse hyper 2x15-20
Abductor 5-9,10-12
Seated calves

Also.....with your spinal issues you need to figure out some way to belt squat. Way easier on the back than traditional squatting, and actually provides some low back traction. You can but a belt squat belt and do it on a cable or a number of ways. You’ll thank me
There isn't a single good gym where I am at. The Bay Area is devoid of any real Gyms. I can try some sort of method using the cable machines.

All of the above is well intentioned, but NONE of the advice is tackling the real issue directly.
It’s not a routine, a rep scheme, a specific exercise...

Point blank- You will achieve the most expedient and efficient quad growth the closer you ass gets to your heels at the bottom of whatever squat or leg press variation you choose.

Many people are hip hinging their way through squats, and only doing partial reps. If your hamstrings aren’t coming close to meeting your calves, and your knees don’t pass your toes, you’re either hip hinging too much, or only doing partials.

Find exercises where you can achieve this ROM, control the eccentric (3-4 sec negatives), kill all momentum.

I can say with 99% certainty more volume isn't the answer. If what you've been doing isn't working, doing more of it won't magically fix that.

I have one of the better sets of quads on PM but they weren't a genetic gift - I have long legs and had to work hard to get them where they are now.

Squats:
I think squats should be a component of a quard workout, but you have to find the right kind of squats for your legs. I did barbell squats for years and they did nothing for my quads. If you have long legs I think they're a particularly poor exercise.

Hack squat are what put the majority of size on my quads. The Hack squat sleds are ok, but I think the plate loaded Free Motion Hack is best (https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0...ion-Fitness-Equipment-Squat-Machine-SZ14-.jpg). This is the machine that blew my quads up.

I like ~10 reps on squats, occasionally going to 8 on my heaviest sets. I never go below that and rarely above 10.

Leg Press:
Again, you have to find the right machine for your structure. I like the Flex Fitness leg press and the Hammer Strength linear leg press best. I like 10-15 reps with a very controlled negative. I also like unilateral leg press to get an even better stretch and squeeze since I can focus on one leg at a time.

Leg Extension:
I don't think there's anything special to this, most machine are about the same. Get a good seat position so you can get full extension and stretch. I like 10-15 reps.

Adduction:
The adduction machine is the missing piece in many quad routines - you'll never put on maximal size without it. I like 10-15 reps here with as deep of a stretch as possible. I set the leg pads so they're as far back as possible and step into the machine from the back so I'm starting in the stretched position. But I'm very flexible and I know some will have a hard time with that.

Execution:
You really have to squeeze your quads as hard as possible to get the most out of them. I alock out on everything. I don't understand the 'never lock out' mindset that's preached - if I don't lock out (on any body part, not just quads), I don't get close to a full squeeze. If this means taking your weights back to 0 so you can really execute properly then do it - the muscle doesn't know how much weight it moves, only how hard you make it work.

My quads routine:
  • Hip abduction x 3
  • Hip adduction x 3
  • Leg extension x 4 (first 2 unilateral, last 2 both)
  • Hack squats x 2-3 (after as many warm up sets as I need)
  • Leg press x 4
If you really want to bring up your quads I suggest giving them their own day (same with hamstrings). I've made the most improvements on my legs on a PPL split with separate quads and hams days.
I thank you kindly for the detailed post.

My current leg days
A
Pendulum squat 5-9reps, 10-12
Single leg press 2x15-20
Seated leg curl 5-9,10-12
Adductor 5-9,10-12
Standing calf raise 4xrp set

B
Hack squat 5-9,10-12
Leg ext 2x15-20
Reverse hyper 2x15-20
Abductor 5-9,10-12
Seated calves
I wish that I had access to a pendulum squat machine. My gym doesn't even have a hack squat.
Gotta switch to a gym that does. Nevertheless every gym near me has nothing but bullshit Lifestyle Fitness equipment, and a few hammer strength machines. I like the old school leg Extension machine seen in the picture you posted.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131