over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

1980's Cartoons

It's great that you had that personal connection. When you say that you recorded the English version of the Mazinger theme with him, what was your role? Back-up vocals?

This goes back a little before the 80's to the late 70's, but I have very fond memories of the Shogun Warriors line of toys/comics. I remember having the 24" Great Mazinga with missiles that shot off his fist, and Godzilla, also with the shooting fist and flame breath.

We were huge Godzilla fans anyway, watching all the Japanese monster movies on the Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoons, here on Boston's TV Channel 56.
Wow, I had that toy too and it was one of my favorites. I had forgotten about it! I had a big Godzilla figure too that was about the same size. Back around the time when I had the original Stretch Arm Strong. Another cool toy I had was Micronauts.

img_6T7w7nffuqqZuBI.jpg

Micronauts had the Rocket Tubes set. It was really cool. There was a powerful fan that pushed air through the tubes and it transported the micronauts through it in shuttles. It worked like the tubes at the bank do. Office buildings used to have those, for sending documents fast from one floor to another.

Wow, I had that toy too and it was one of my favorites. I had forgotten about it! I had a big Godzilla figure too that was about the same size. Back around the time when I had the original Stretch Arm Strong. Another cool toy I had was Micronauts.

img_6T7w7nffuqqZuBI.jpg

Micronauts had the Rocket Tubes set. It was really cool. There was a powerful fan that pushed air through the tubes and it transported the micronauts through it in shuttles. It worked like the tubes at the bank do. Office buildings used to have those, for sending documents fast from one floor to another.

I fondly remember having the old Stretch Armstrong, and beating the crap out of him trying to get the stretchy goo out of him! That was a toy meant for abuse, kind of like the old Rock-em Sock-em Robots.

I had a few Micronaut toys, but the ones I am really sick about are my old collection of Star Wars action figures. I was 9 when Star Wars first came out, and I used to save my paper route money to collect all the action figures. They were my pride and joy, until I became a teenager and I forgot about them, as we all tend to do.

They sat up in my mother's attic for years until my brother came and took them when he moved down to Texas. I only found out when I had children, and I wanted to pass them down to them. I went looking for them, couldn't find them, and my brother admitted taking them. I don't remember him buying a single one of them, but at this point it's not worth stirring up family trouble getting them back.

Micronauts were "micro-man" originally here in Japan. My wife's younger brother was a big fan. I had a bunch myself, including the larger mechanized robot.

My grandmother used to take me to the Weymouth navy base to buy me a star wars figure every couple weeks.

Of course I don't have anything left, but I did stockpile my favorites when the prequels came out. I re-bought the original Falcon, X-wing, AT-AT, and TIE fighters, etc...still in my mom's house today.

Micronauts were "micro-man" originally here in Japan. My wife's younger brother was a big fan. I had a bunch myself, including the larger mechanized robot.

My grandmother used to take me to the Weymouth navy base to buy me a star wars figure every couple weeks.

Of course I don't have anything left, but I did stockpile my favorites when the prequels came out. I re-bought the original Falcon, X-wing, AT-AT, and TIE fighters, etc...still in my mom's house today.

I did manage to pass down my original 1979 Kenner Millenium Falcon to my stepson, and some of the original die-cast spaceships...X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Star Destroyer. They are sitting up in his room right now, collecting dust again now that he's sixteen years old. But he did enjoy playing with them when he was younger.

None of them are in a sealed box, or collectible condition or anything, so they wouldn't be worth a lot of money. I played with my toys. But the sentimental and nostalgic value they have to me is priceless.

I fondly remember having the old Stretch Armstrong, and beating the crap out of him trying to get the stretchy goo out of him! That was a toy meant for abuse, kind of like the old Rock-em Sock-em Robots.

I had a few Micronaut toys, but the ones I am really sick about are my old collection of Star Wars action figures. I was 9 when Star Wars first came out, and I used to save my paper route money to collect all the action figures. They were my pride and joy, until I became a teenager and I forgot about them, as we all tend to do.

They sat up in my mother's attic for years until my brother came and took them when he moved down to Texas. I only found out when I had children, and I wanted to pass them down to them. I went looking for them, couldn't find them, and my brother admitted taking them. I don't remember him buying a single one of them, but at this point it's not worth stirring up family trouble getting them back.
I still have 95% of my collection. About 15 years ago I sold a few, but I have most. They are all of the original vintage! Got a few of the rare pieces too, like the remote control sandcrawler. I've got just about everything. I am a big fan of the original trilogy. I was born in 1970. Looks like we are about the same age.

I murdered my Stretch Arm Strong with a maul!

I still have 95% of my collection. About 15 years ago I sold a few, but I have most. They are all of the original vintage! Got a few of the rare pieces too, like the remote control sandcrawler. I've got just about everything. I am a big fan of the original trilogy. I was born in 1970. Looks like we are about the same age.

I murdered my Stretch Arm Strong with a maul!

I think everybody killed poor Stretch Armstrong in one way or another. That was pretty much the nature of the toy; he was meant to be beat up. As I get older, and my injuries and inflammation mount, some days I can identify with that. ;-)

I was born in 1968, and I am a HUGE fan of the original trilogy. The newer movies have their good and bad aspects, but Star Wars is true religion to me. Some of the stuff was just silly and meant to sell toys, the Ewoks and all that. Having the ROTJ action set on Teddy Bear Planet was just too convenient for merchandising purposes. At that point, even as a teenager, I could see they were just blatantly arranging the story to sell toys at that point.

And yet, the core of the story, the heroic arc of Luke Skywalker, and the descent into darkness and eventual redemption of Darth Vader, remain strong and still thrill me to this day. Lucas really created something special with that, a heroic saga that rivals all the ancient mythology of the Greeks, the Romans, the Norse, etc.

There are reasons why those characters have become and remain icons in our modern culture, while characters from even higher-grossing movies like Avatar were a flash in the pan and are forgotten. Avatar may have made a billion dollars, but if I say the name Jake Sully, very few people are going to remember who that is, and very few people are buying or collecting Avatar toys today.

But everybody knows who Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are. And Star Wars has remained popular among little kids and grown-up kids alike.

It gives me hope and renews my faith that people can still appreciate a great story, even all these years later.

I think everybody killed poor Stretch Armstrong in one way or another. That was pretty much the nature of the toy; he was meant to be beat up. As I get older, and my injuries and inflammation mount, some days I can identify with that. ;-)

I was born in 1968, and I am a HUGE fan of the original trilogy. The newer movies have their good and bad aspects, but Star Wars is true religion to me. Some of the stuff was just silly and meant to sell toys, the Ewoks and all that. Having the ROTJ action set on Teddy Bear Planet was just too convenient for merchandising purposes. At that point, even as a teenager, I could see they were just blatantly arranging the story to sell toys at that point.

And yet, the core of the story, the heroic arc of Luke Skywalker, and the descent into darkness and eventual redemption of Darth Vader, remain strong and still thrill me to this day. Lucas really created something special with that, a heroic saga that rivals all the ancient mythology of the Greeks, the Romans, the Norse, etc.

There are reasons why those characters have become and remain icons in our modern culture, while characters from even higher-grossing movies like Avatar were a flash in the pan and are forgotten. Avatar may have made a billion dollars, but if I say the name Jake Sully, very few people are going to remember who that is, and very few people are buying or collecting Avatar toys today.

But everybody knows who Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are. And Star Wars has remained popular among little kids and grown-up kids alike.

It gives me hope and renews my faith that people can still appreciate a great story, even all these years later.
Actually....Avatar made 2.814 billion worldwide, and is Hollywood's all time money making champ. James Cameron has 4 more Avatar movies done, and is deciding when to release them. Had covid not happened, the first of four would have most likely been released already.

Actually....Avatar made 2.814 billion worldwide, and is Hollywood's all time money making champ. James Cameron has 4 more Avatar movies done, and is deciding when to release them. Had covid not happened, the first of four would have most likely been released already.

Thank you for helping to prove my point.

Avatar made billions of dollars at the box office...in 2009...and today, nobody cares. Everybody went to see it at the theater, and then it disappeared from popular culture and most people promptly forgot about it.

Nobody is going around quoting lines from Avatar in popular speech. Nobody is going around wearing Avatar t-shirts. I have never seen a kid playing with Avatar toys. I have never seen an Avatar movie marathon weekend on a cable channel.

I can walk into practically any toy store on the planet and find a section devoted to Star Wars toys. In the year 2021, will I find any Avatar toys there?

There is a section of Disney World devoted to Avatar, but that pales in comparison to their involvement with Star Wars.

The Avatar sequels release date have been pushed back several times, long before COVID happened, and practically nobody even took notice or cared. Cameron is a great director and entitled to his pet projects, but I don't see any massive groundswell of support or anticipation from Avatar fans, demanding that the movies be released. Honestly, do you?

Don't get me wrong, personally I loved Avatar. It was a good movie, great special effects, and very entertaining. I might watch it again when I scroll past it looking for something to watch on the cable TV guide.

But as far as its impact on popular culture goes, Avatar dwindles to insignificance compared to Star Wars.

Thank you for helping to prove my point.

Avatar made billions of dollars at the box office...in 2009...and today, nobody cares. Everybody went to see it at the theater, and then it disappeared from popular culture and most people promptly forgot about it.

Nobody is going around quoting lines from Avatar in popular speech. Nobody is going around wearing Avatar t-shirts. I have never seen a kid playing with Avatar toys. I have never seen an Avatar movie marathon weekend on a cable channel.

I can walk into practically any toy store on the planet and find a section devoted to Star Wars toys. In the year 2021, will I find any Avatar toys there?

There is a section of Disney World devoted to Avatar, but that pales in comparison to their involvement with Star Wars.

The Avatar sequels release date have been pushed back several times, long before COVID happened, and practically nobody even took notice or cared. Cameron is a great director and entitled to his pet projects, but I don't see any massive groundswell of support or anticipation from Avatar fans, demanding that the movies be released. Honestly, do you?

Don't get me wrong, personally I loved Avatar. It was a good movie, great special effects, and very entertaining. I might watch it again when I scroll past it looking for something to watch on the cable TV guide.

But as far as its impact on popular culture goes, Avatar dwindles to insignificance compared to Star Wars.
Agreed! IMO Star Wars was the Gone With the Wind of our time, but that was only one movie and not a series of movies. I think the closest comparison to Star Wars would be Star Trek. There is another great one.

Has there been a movie/series of movies come out new since Star Wars that have had as large an impact on popular culture? Any genre. Closest I can think of would maybe be Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Neither of those are as big IMO. There is bound to be something, I just can't think of one.

Has there been a movie/series of movies come out new since Star Wars that have had as large an impact on popular culture? Any genre. Closest I can think of would maybe be Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Neither of those are as big IMO. There is bound to be something, I just can't think of one.

You raise good points with The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Both have huge followings, but I don't think either compares to Star Wars.

I loved The Lord of the Rings movies, but that's because I loved the books when I was a kid, starting when my 4th grade teacher loaned me her paperback copy of The Hobbit. I spent countless hours at the library, reading the books and looking at the maps. The movies were fantastic, and introduced a whole new generation of fans to the stories. Tolkien certainly created his own heroic mythology that rivals anything from the ancient world. But while the movies and books have a huge following, again I don't see kids playing with toy orcs, dwarves, and elves today.

Harry Potter might be closer, at least to the younger generation. My stepsons loved the movies, and my nieces are enjoying reading the books. They were phenomenally popular with the kids. But I don't think the appeal of Harry Potter extends so well to the older generations. At least for me personally, the Harry Potter stuff always seemed a bit silly, perhaps because I was raised on the more serious mythology of The Lord of the Rings.

Superhero movies are huge as well, and I know kids who are devoted to either the Marvel or DC Universes. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, the Avengers movies all have a tremendous following, and that existed before Star Wars and has continued to the present day.

You raise good points with The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Both have huge followings, but I don't think either compares to Star Wars.

I loved The Lord of the Rings movies, but that's because I loved the books when I was a kid, starting when my 4th grade teacher loaned me her paperback copy of The Hobbit. I spent countless hours at the library, reading the books and looking at the maps. The movies were fantastic, and introduced a whole new generation of fans to the stories. Tolkien certainly created his own heroic mythology that rivals anything from the ancient world. But while the movies and books have a huge following, again I don't see kids playing with toy orcs, dwarves, and elves today.

Harry Potter might be closer, at least to the younger generation. My stepsons loved the movies, and my nieces are enjoying reading the books. They were phenomenally popular with the kids. But I don't think the appeal of Harry Potter extends so well to the older generations. At least for me personally, the Harry Potter stuff always seemed a bit silly, perhaps because I was raised on the more serious mythology of The Lord of the Rings.

Superhero movies are huge as well, and I know kids who are devoted to either the Marvel or DC Universes. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, the Avengers movies all have a tremendous following, and that existed before Star Wars and has continued to the present day.
Yes, I forgot about super heroes! Everyone knows who Batman and Superman are. Another is James Bond, but that also came out before Star Wars.

Star Wars is unique in that its appeal spans up to 3 generations now I bet. Since Disney took it over, the torch will be carried for a long time. I'm not a fan of the Disney films. Watched the first in the theater and then swore id not watch another. Am glad though that Star Wars lives on.

Was just thinking that my parents, myself, and my kids all like Star Wars to some degree. They all know the main characters and enjoy it. That is three generations right there. If I had kids when I was younger, I was 32 with my first, then I could possibly have grandchildren that like Star Wars. There could be some families that have 4 generations of Star Wars fans!

All of my toys are sitting in their boxes stacked away gathering dust. Not sure what will become of them, but I know that I dont want to part with them. My wife is on my ass a lot to sell them!

Was just thinking that my parents, myself, and my kids all like Star Wars to some degree. They all know the main characters and enjoy it. That is three generations right there. If I had kids when I was younger, I was 32 with my first, then I could possibly have grandchildren that like Star Wars. There could be some families that have 4 generations of Star Wars fans!

All of my toys are sitting in their boxes stacked away gathering dust. Not sure what will become of them, but I know that I dont want to part with them. My wife is on my ass a lot to sell them!
Star Wars is timeless. I don’t think there will ever be another franchise to match it or even come close. Even the way it’s released is almost like a trilogy for every generation since it came out and no matter how bad a movie or series is people will always watch it.

I hear you on the wife wanting you to sell your old toys. Most wives will never understand.

But the kids will understand, and their kids might understand, and that's the important thing.

My wife will watch Star Wars with me, but I know she would rather be watching her Twilight/Dirty Dancing/Pretty Woman/50 Shades romance movies. Yet she did like it when I passed down my vintage 1979 Kenner Millenium Falcon to her son (my stepson.) And she wants to get rid of my old stuff boxed up in the basement, but there's also plenty of her old stuff down there as well...old romance novels, skinny clothes she will never fit into again, etc. So marriage is always a balancing act.

I hear you on the wife wanting you to sell your old toys. Most wives will never understand.

But the kids will understand, and their kids might understand, and that's the important thing.

My wife will watch Star Wars with me, but I know she would rather be watching her Twilight/Dirty Dancing/Pretty Woman/50 Shades romance movies. Yet she did like it when I passed down my vintage 1979 Kenner Millenium Falcon to her son (my stepson.) And she wants to get rid of my old stuff boxed up in the basement, but there's also plenty of her old stuff down there as well...old romance novels, skinny clothes she will never fit into again, etc. So marriage is always a balancing act.
I’m lucky my wife and I are both nerds. In fact our first date we watched Starwars and then our second date we watched Batman vs Superman.

IT’S BACK ON NETFLIX!!!!!! July 23 2021

Masters of the Universe - Revelation Part 1

This is a tricky one.

My GF and coworkers are all under 30. They are huge harry potter fans. I showed my gf Lord of the Rings and she loves it. She noticed that Harry Potter clearly borrowed its aesthetics from LOTR at least partially.

I didn't even watch the Harry Potter movies until we started dating. I cant say I am a huge fan but the first 4 are actually very good and I can see why this is their Star wars.

Now, for us, Star wars makes sense. The canonical order of the movies is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.......but they were released 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9....makes perfect sense right? LOL But imagine you were born in the mid 90s. None of this would make sense. You would have been born when the Studio re-release's of the star wars movies happened. That's the rerelease of your original movies (which you cant even find anymore...all you can get are the enhanced editions). I laugh so hard because my gf oved jar jar binks...because she was like 9 or something. That's something that's hard to keep in perspective. To her, Star Wars was pod racing. That's all shit I really really really dont like. Jar jar binks, pod racing, killing off darth maul in quick non interesting way, just garbage to me. But it wasn't made for me. The last star wars movie made by George Lucas at that point was Return of the Jedi which was made in large part to sell toys. That's what George Lucas wanted for episode 1. He needed toy merchandise material. He needed ewoks and new xwings. So you got jar jar and pod racing. Parents went out and bought this stuff for their kids because they were raised on the franchise so it's funny hearing those people act so surprised when late 20 something year olds have fond memories of jar jar binks and pod racing.

Fast forward and now everyone has seen the Mandalorian and after the shit show that were episodes 7, 8, and 9...the serial tv shows are the future. Jon Favreau is star wars now. If you like star wars, cozy up to disney plus because that's where you will be getting it.

The amount of bitching about the Last Jedi from "A liFE loNG fan OF STar WARs BUT noT ANYm0REE!!!!" essentially sealed the fate of the franchise. Episode 9 was a direct response to the backlash of episode 8 and that's how we got horses running on an imperial star destroyer (not a spoiler....its in one of the trailers). Im not saying I personally enjoyed the new ones all that much. I remember seeing episode 7 and thinking its literally a point for point remake of episode 4 just...bigger. I wasnt the only one. Its essentially the same movie. So disney went back and made the last Jedi. History was sealed for star wars on the big screen for the foreseeable future when episode 8 was released.

I accept the fact that star wars is multiple tv shows now. Theres going to be dozens so there should be at least one or two you can get into. If you havent looked just go see how many tv shows they are making. Theres at least 8 more. I think the idea is that there will be something for everyone because they cant please everyone in a single movie because of what "star wars is supposed to be" to any given person.

I am personally a fan of the marvel stuff and look forward to the Rock showing up as Black Adam but also not looking forward to the amount of bitching when Thor bails and he becomes a "she". The bitching will be legendary. But guess what? That shit happens in the comics. There will still be someone bitching about it because thor was always the son of odin as far as they remember from the 70s. Nevermind that thor in the infinity gauntlet comics wasnt actually thor at all, it was some different dude, and at one point thor was beta ray bill who was an alien of some sort if memory serves.

Point is enjoy what you enjoy. If people can take religion a la carte and take what they want and toss what they dont agree with or just pretend it doesnt exist, believe it or not, you can do that with books and movies.

"Point is enjoy what you enjoy. If people can take religion a la carte and take what they want and toss what they dont agree with or just pretend it doesnt exist, believe it or not, you can do that with books and movies."

That comment wasnt aimed at you. It's just a general observation regarding all things entertainment.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws