over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why should I still do deadlifts?

FrancisK

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I don’t compete, I’m not a strength athlete or any athlete at all anymore. They don’t do anything for my hams/glutes, lunges for me hit those 10x harder. So is it for my lower back? Does my lower back need such a pounding exercise? Is it for natural every day strength?

I’ve been really lucky that 37 years on this earth I’ve never had a real injury due to working out. But a couple years ago I was doing my heavy deads, nothing crazy 6 full strong effort reps, and I felt that “tweak”….I’m sure I don’t need to explain that you guys. I stopped deads for a while and went back to it when I felt confident enough using less weight and variations, extreme wide grip is my go to with the low weight and it hits my lower back well.

But still every time I do them, like just today, I feel like I’m just tempting fate worried if that is the day where it bites me.

Can anyone tell me why I should still be doing deadlifts? There has to be something I’m missing as to why this is an essential exercise….

i did my back twice doing heavy deads, never done them since.

No exercise is essential

Have you noticed anything negative since stopping them?

There are NO essential exercises when it comes to bodybuilding and muscular hypertrophy. Period. Everyone needs to internalize that.

I think floor deadlifts are generally a poor choice for muscular hypertrophy. They bring a lot of fatigue given how much of the body is involved. I do see applications for bringing up hamstrings like how Nick Walker and Hunter Labrada are using them right now and that's something I want to explore when I feel my back development is more complete. But it's not really a good way to build the back for most guys.

For building the back, I think rack deadlifts are the way to go. Set the bar just above your knees and you should almost totally eliminate lower body involvement. Nothing has built the thickness and density of my back like rack deadlifts on a Smith machine (I just can't get the same contraction with a barbell). I do 3-4 working sets and like 8-12 reps.

Nobody should be telling you why to do or not do certain exercises - your exercise selection should be based on your physique and / or performance goals. If you just want to look good at the beach, I see no need to do any form of deadlifts. If you're a serious bodybuilder trying to maximize muscle mass, I think you should be doing rack deadlifts.

On the tempting fate and injury part - you shouldn't be doing exercises or using weights you're not confident with. If you go into it worried then you're setting yourself up for failure. Lifting at the highest level is more mental than physical.

I started doing them at the end of my back workouts so and focusing more on volume. But lately have been doing more rack pulls than dead’s at the end of my back days. Dude I am kinda with you on dead’s see my problem before was going to heavy and always trying to go heavier sacrificing form for weight and same problem hurt myself. Now I only do them at the end of back day so like
Say 315 for 12 3x feels great and back has definitely improved.

because if you dont your not permitted to yell out yeah buddy at anytime for any reason in workouts going forward.

banded rack pulls for the win, much much lower risk of injury and a serious trap builder.

Okay going back to heavy deads then….

Really what am I losing my dropping the movement, lower back development and that’s it?

i dropped deadlifts from the floor years ago, not worth the injury risk anymore. just change the yeah buddy to yeah bubby, you'll be fine

Oh, to piggyback off of my last post, I like deads a lot because I feel it's a functional movement. Strength that readily carries over into everyday life. For where I'm at in this game(barely starting to get old) that functional strength is huge. Only reason I still to squats too. I don't do German volume per say..... but I commit to 100 reps and just do however many sets it takes. This is also lightweight. Great pump though.

Rack pulls as has been mentioned. You dont have to do anything but if you want back thickness, heavy rack pulls are perfect.

I've gotten a shit ton of overall (including lower) back development and thickness from doing standing t-bar rows with triangle grip. Forces the body to stay at an angle that keeps the lower back in a stressed yet static position. I have not done any form of deadlift in twenty years and my back is only second to my legs in thickness and development. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

LOTTA great suggestions in here..

personally i think it's a great compound movement for just general health strength
..i mean how much more basic does it get than pulling something heavy off the ground?

^^^that said; some of the DL i'v seen in the gym would have any ortho-surgeon lickin' his chops

If your asking this question then you don’t need to do them
^^^i totally get this comment
BUT IME; most guys pulling real heavy did not start doing DLs in their 30's or 40's
..they'v done them consistently for some time & have developed all the supporting muscles & ligaments etc
..not to say that it can't be done later, or anytime in life ..BUT most i'v known have been doing DLs pretty regularly thru out their lifting career
& they have good form down ..it feels good to them ..it's fun, even when it's challenging ..they look forward to DL day

I think it's a great movement. You don't need to go heavy. What about German volume training? Do 10 sets of 10 with 135..... weekly, once a month, whatever serves your purpose.
^^^i agree with this comment too

..you don't need to go heavy ..pull 135 or 225 for 3x5
..IMO it'll keep you young? ..mobile? ..functional? ..less crunchy?
..i mean it's such a primitive motion

►if you have "back issues" ..or are looking for specific development that DL don't seem to provide
..then by all means ..use some of the great modified suggestions above (danieltx, opietaylor, mm22)

in other words;
..don't do DLs just for the sake of doing them, peer-pressure, or to keep your "man-card" lol

..don't NOT do them bc they'r just uncomfortable, or bc you'r weak in that exercise

^^^have better reasons for whatever you decide

Okay going back to heavy deads then….

Really what am I losing my dropping the movement, lower back development and that’s it?
They will thicken up your traps too. Try Snatch Grip Deadlifts and elevate your heels. They will make your quads and the middle of your back sore as shit if you do them properly. Underrated exercise and beneficial for bodybuilders. Don't take my word for it. Charles Poliquin was very big into SGDL.

Fantastic advices by the above brothers in this thread!
For me nothing work my entire body in such an incredibly effective way than heavy barbell free weight deads. It helps to keep my CNS fully fired up and makes all of the other lifts flow smoothly because the deals activate and hit that CNS in such an incredibly direct way for that full body explosiveness that even squats can't rival (for me IMHO) and gives that full whole body density and thickness. I also love how it makes my abs and entire core region incredibly sore the next day (because I flex at top) and lower the weight with controlled smoothness.
But that being said..it's not for everyone and if you have back issues or it doesn't feel good then the standard T-bar rows can be a worthy substitute. Nothing is worth it for a back injury and it's best to listen to your instincts and not go even near anything that your body is warning you to stay away from for whatever reasons. Instinct is powerful. You want to last in this game and you only get one body. Lifting should be fun and not intimidating for you...otherwise whats the point of lifting it?

Reasons to do deadlift (or rack pull):

- I like exercise and I enjoy the general stimulation and activation of the CNS, endorphins, etc ...

- Helps me to be stronger, either for my personal records as a powerlifter or for a transfer to other hypertrophy exercises.

- Helps me build muscle mass.

Reasons to not do deadlift:

- I have pain and I get injuries. (This is actually a weak excuse, just improve your technique and reduce the weight you use.)

- I hate exercise because it doesn't feel right or it's too painful or too demanding. (This is a legitimate reason, but no one wants to admit that they are lazy.)

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear