over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why should I still do deadlifts?

I think part of this is about enjoyment. I truly enjoy them but at 38 years old I do them twice a month...max. As someone else noted above I do them with weight I'm confident with as well. I personally like to do deficit deads as a variation most of the time. You will feel much more lower body but honestly I feel it throughout my entire back more as well. I'm shorter and regular or rack deads feels like an extremely focused lower back movement (which is fine) but with deficits I use far less weights and feels more productive.

I'll use chains or bands or whatever as well at times to make it more interesting and "fun".

If you do not enjoy it to some degree, or you even find it miserable, I'd avoid it and move on. I've started to do good mornings more often with 15-20 rep sets (another exercise you have to be careful with) and man I've grown to love them.

I do 'em because I like 'em. I like training Powerlifting or Powerbuilding style, with my gym days built around Bench, SQ, DL, OHP.
Dont like 'em? Dont do 'em. I skip plenty of exercises I dont like doing.

I stopped deadlifting a few years back, as a bodybuilder and not a competitive powerlifter, theres no point. I enjoy RDL or Straight leg DL for the hamstrings, typically with dumbells to allow for a more dynamic movement pattern than a barbell allows for. But thats just for good hamstring development. Deadlift is a fine move but its hernia city imo, and theres nothing a deadlift does BEST over other exercise choices.

I think it’s a personality thing.

are you driven by results and looking the best? Are are you driven by going to war with yourself and the gym?

I love deadlifts. Do i expect better back hypertrophy From it? No…other than maybe traps.

I do it because it’s primal, and a feat of strength. The place I have to go in my mind to touch and go 405x10….or the grit needed to do a 5x10 boring but big workout.

builds character lol.

but for hypertrophy, go with RDLs, rack pulls or block pulls.

and yes, if you cut out deadlifts, your system can handle more volume other places. Deadlifts just steal your soul

I don’t compete, I’m not a strength athlete or any athlete at all anymore. They don’t do anything for my hams/glutes, lunges for me hit those 10x harder. So is it for my lower back? Does my lower back need such a pounding exercise? Is it for natural every day strength?

I’ve been really lucky that 37 years on this earth I’ve never had a real injury due to working out. But a couple years ago I was doing my heavy deads, nothing crazy 6 full strong effort reps, and I felt that “tweak”….I’m sure I don’t need to explain that you guys. I stopped deads for a while and went back to it when I felt confident enough using less weight and variations, extreme wide grip is my go to with the low weight and it hits my lower back well.

But still every time I do them, like just today, I feel like I’m just tempting fate worried if that is the day where it bites me.

Can anyone tell me why I should still be doing deadlifts? There has to be something I’m missing as to why this is an essential exercise….
For bodybuilding purposes, it is overrated and certainly not essential. It is also going to wear out your spine faster than if you didn't do them (same as with squats) which may seriously hamper your training in the future, or worse.

I stopped deadlifting a few years back, as a bodybuilder and not a competitive powerlifter, theres no point. I enjoy RDL or Straight leg DL for the hamstrings, typically with dumbells to allow for a more dynamic movement pattern than a barbell allows for. But thats just for good hamstring development. Deadlift is a fine move but its hernia city imo, and theres nothing a deadlift does BEST over other exercise choices.
Hernia city indeed.

Hernia city indeed.
It's what blew out my umbilical hernia patch I had.

I eventually stopped doing regular deadlifts, but did stiff leg deads instead and never had big further issues. Requires lighter weight and strict form is a must. I eventually worked up to around 405 lbs on those as well. Built up my hamstrings, could visually see it.

Keep in mind the load that is being placed on your discs in the lumbar region of your spine. Over time, they can wear out and herniate or bulge, neither of which you want. This WILL absolutely affect your leg training, which as a bodybuilder is crucial.

Earlier i recommended Snatch Grip Deadlifts. One of the benefits to this exercise IMO, is that you will not use nearly the same load as you would with a conventional Deadlift. If you really want to make this a vanity exercise in addition to being incredibly "economically efficient" (aka bang for your buck), add in an explosive shrug at the top of the movement.

I cannot say enough good things about this movement. If my lower back wasn't damaged i'd still be doing them. Make sure you elevate the heels and use wrist straps if you try them.

For bodybuilding purposes, Romanian deadlifts are great. Forces you to control the eccentric. Go only as low as you need for sufficient hamstring stretch under load. You generally want to hit the hamstrings with a knee flexion and hip extension exercise (Romanian deadlift).

I do them but absolutely refuse to go over 3 reps on conventional deadlifts.

i do banded rack pulls from upper knee and all that shit…but it’s for building power…not size..I’ve gone years without them and noticed no loss in size…but when I bring them back I gain a shit lid of fictional strength

I do them but absolutely refuse to go over 3 reps on conventional deadlifts.

i do banded rack pulls from upper knee and all that shit…but it’s for building power…not size..I’ve gone years without them and noticed no loss in size…but when I bring them back I gain a shit lid of fictional strength
^^^yes ..i too have noticed that the greater the fiction ..the more impressive the strength seems to be 🤣

(..matter of fact ..with some guys, fiction & strength are inseparable 😂)

Heavy rack deads, still leg, t bar row, seal row, barbell row and meadows row for thickness. I do pull off the floor but never in reps under 8-10. I like 10 set of 10 or something similar. I use volume to reach muscle fatigue and hopefully hypertrophy. I really don’t like heavy deads from the floor. Will go as low as 5 reps on t-bar and rack pulls. Like everyone has stated no lift is essential.

I liked doing heavy pulls. I feel it helped with thickness all through the back. And would cycle them during the year. But once i got into my 50's it seemed like a smart thing to quit doing them. Didn't aggravate my bulged or herniated discs to much, but i figured the time would come when it would have a real negative effect.

Get rid of it and be done.
Like everyone here has already mentioned, you dont need any specific exercise.
You can find other exercises to target your erectors and other exercises to hit the hammies.
I gave up squatting AND deadlifting 2 years and havent looked back. Injuries were getting in the way and i just found BETTER WAYS to work the muscle group. If anything, it was NEW growth because i was really hitting movement patterns i hadnt hit before.

I don’t do barbell any thing or do any deadlift variation. I do hypers and reverse hypers. My back is still growing. I do shrugs so my traps grow. I don’t think they provide anything special for growth or hypertrophy. Unless you need them for a sports specific purpose then they’re not necessary. In fact if I could go back I would’ve never done them.

Always loved them but for many years I’ve been a huge rack pull fan. From below the knee to just above, I think it serves a bodybuilding purpose better. Nothing gives the thickness like heavy pulls for me. You just look fucking yoked all the time and I feel it’s a safer exercise then pulling off the floor now that I’m older.

"I stopped deadlifting and replaced it with other exercises, I did not notice a delay in my development."

This is a lot of fun, as with drugs, building tissue is more difficult than maintaining it. If you've been lifting for years and building tissue, if you keep training and hitting your muscles with other exercises, you're not going to see muscle losing.

It is as if you substitute your meat for eggs, as long as you have protein, you will not see noticeable changes in your appearance.

Keep in mind the load that is being placed on your discs in the lumbar region of your spine. Over time, they can wear out and herniate or bulge, neither of which you want. This WILL absolutely affect your leg training, which as a bodybuilder is crucial.

Earlier i recommended Snatch Grip Deadlifts. One of the benefits to this exercise IMO, is that you will not use nearly the same load as you would with a conventional Deadlift. If you really want to make this a vanity exercise in addition to being incredibly "economically efficient" (aka bang for your buck), add in an explosive shrug at the top of the movement.

I cannot say enough good things about this movement. If my lower back wasn't damaged i'd still be doing them. Make sure you elevate the heels and use wrist straps if you try them.
According to my ortho surgeon and other ortho surgeons I've talked to you can even change the 'can' wear out part with 'will' wear out eventually.

And you like you said, then ALL of your training will be compromised if you are lucky enough to be able to actually still train by then. That's not even taking into account the quality of your life that will spiral down by being in pain 24-7.

It's not a popular, hardcore opinion but I say avoid at all costs (heavy deadlifts) and find other ways to build your (lower) back.

Get rid of it and be done.
Like everyone here has already mentioned, you dont need any specific exercise.
You can find other exercises to target your erectors and other exercises to hit the hammies.
I gave up squatting AND deadlifting 2 years and havent looked back. Injuries were getting in the way and i just found BETTER WAYS to work the muscle group. If anything, it was NEW growth because i was really hitting movement patterns i hadnt hit before.
Exactly 👍

Wise decision which will surely lenghten your BB-career.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws