over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Minimum protein for growth

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What is everyone opinion on how LITTLE protein you can get away with and still be able to grow??

For years I've always been in the group that higher protein is best with 1.5g per pound of body weight was a minimum (unless really fat) but now days I'm having major issues with being able to eat enough protein and I'm having to try to figure out what I can get away with.

If you used quality nutrition dense carbs and healthy fats to make up the rest of the calories to put you in a surplus , how much protein is really needed to grow??

I know alot of guys here are advocates of way less protein and much higher carbs. What ratio do you use and what's your philosophy behind this??

if on ped's then much less than rumored, so around .5/lb decent quality complete proteins. has been done as well as 1.5/Lb with all else the same.

Just a guess, 1 g per lb .

I would never do under 1 gram per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, that's me personally.

These are the times people are scared in front of everything. Less protein because kidneys, less training because overtraining, less gear because it's not healthy - but the effects are also worse and worse...

In my opinion, personally, if you are on gear, for optimal growth of 1.5 g / lbs of pure body weight (i.e. stage weight) it is an absolute minimum if we want to maximize the effects

On gear if you want build lean mass you need calories AND optimal protein. I find 1g/lb lean body weight is not enough.
Between 1,3 and 1,8 is optimal for me.

These are the times people are scared in front of everything. Less protein because kidneys, less training because overtraining, less gear because it's not healthy - but the effects are also worse and worse...

In my opinion, personally, if you are on gear, for optimal growth of 1.5 g / lbs of pure body weight (i.e. stage weight) it is an absolute minimum if we want to maximize the effects
I agree. 1.5 at least is what i shoot for, but I do gain faster and have a nicer look if I eat closer to 2 grams

High protein is always an advantage for multiple reasons, unless you are doing a carb or fat lot to compete and want to have less food to process to avoid possible dilation.

I always eat a minimum of 2 grams per kilo of weight, if I am cutting I will go up to 3 grams. Protein is never enough for me, I would eat more if it weren't a pain in the ass having to cook so much, and also because from a limit it doesn't make sense to eat more, at least personally because I not use gear.

In Jordan Peters training principles book he says at least 1g per lb. I’d say the less carbs the more protein.
That being said I usually get 300grams per day plus another 100 with EAAs

so yall think the MINIMUM u should eat comes out to over 250 pounds of protein in grams a year.
sure.
to gain 10-12 pounds of muscle mass....right.
thats not a total waste of money at all.
every single study done showing impressive muscle mass gains was done on .6g per pound of bodyweight. maybe .8g.
1.5? 2g? fucking stupid calories are key. muscle is 70 percent water by weight. 10 pounds on the scale is really 3 pounds of tissue.
but yall do yall.

Another factor is where is this protein coming from?..Are we talking total protein including oats,rice, and other non direct sources.I believe the quality of the protein is a very important factor when discussing this topic.

Regards, Ethan

Another factor is where is this protein coming from?..Are we talking total protein including oats,rice, and other non direct sources.I believe the quality of the protein is a very important factor when discussing this topic.

Regards, Ethan
I only count protein from meat, egg, dairy

so yall think the MINIMUM u should eat comes out to over 250 pounds of protein in grams a year.
sure.
every single study done showing impressive muscle mass gains was done on .6g per pound of bodyweight. maybe .8g.
1.5? 2g? fucking stupid calories are key. muscle is 70 percent water by weight. 10 pounds on the scale is really 3 pounds of tissue.
but yall do yall.
I’ve crunched the numbers before like you have done and it seems retarded how MUCH protein is required. But myself and many others feel a drop in strength/performance when we drop protein down to .5-.75g/lb like you’re suggesting is optimal. Even with equal calories, I just feel weaker and more tired and less intense in my training on lower protein.

Shrug

sure.
but yall do yall.

You could grow on very little protein (higher carbs and fats) so sure the minimum amount is low (0.6g per lb for example) but for optimal results you should use more. People in studies are very rarely bodybuilders who want to gain as much muscle as possible. Now sure if someone doesn't want high protein (whatever reason) use more carbs and fats as they are protein sparing. However I see no reason why 99% of people don't use more protein (1.5g/lb for example) if they are serious about gaining muscle and looking their best. Calories are key but there is a big difference in body composition over the long term when someone is under eating protein. No one needs to be over doing things but you are seriously wasting a big opportunity if you are serious about gaining muscle and eating less than 1g protein for every pound of lbm.

sure.
but yall do yall.
Well I notice a huge difference in recovery and strength the higher my protein is with calories being the same. I don’t need a study, which doesn’t apply to guys trying to put on as much muscle as possible who are enhanced, to tell me what I know to be true that works in the real world. Studies exist in a vacuum and are done on average people.

Regards, Ethan
It depends if you eat bread alone or peanut butter alone it’s not a complete protein source, but if you mix them you have do.

I never take into account the protein of cereals, rice, etc ...

About 6 years ago I had terrible IBS. Any decent amount of protein would cause me to flare up. I did a lot of research on EAAs. I would use it intra workout. But also the studies I read indicated that 10gr 30 min before a meal would increase protein synthesis more than just the meal or the EAA individually. I could only do 3 meals at 30gr of protein a day. For about 6 month. With 20gr EAA intra, and 10gr pre-meals I was still making progress on 300mg of test a week. Very similar to 250-300gr of protein a day. I still use them this way and only eat 200gr of protein. As more would flare me up.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws