YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training days per week for 40+ year old. This article made me think about it.

I have to highly disagree with you on this one. Iv been training over 30 years and made my best gains after age 40. I completely changed how I train. I started training more frequently and with higher volume. I’m not talking strength gains. I basically trained heavy all my life. Injuries forced the changes. With due diligence and a more scientific approach Gains can be made at any age regardless of how long Youv been training.
Same here!! I'm stronger and bigger than ever! Nothing too crazy of course! I workout 2 or 3 times a week vs. 5-6 times

I have to highly disagree with you on this one. Iv been training over 30 years and made my best gains after age 40. I completely changed how I train. I started training more frequently and with higher volume. I’m not talking strength gains. I basically trained heavy all my life. Injuries forced the changes. With due diligence and a more scientific approach Gains can be made at any age regardless of how long Youv been training.
I have to agree with you, my best gains came after 40 yo (started in BB at age 15) once I started working out every muscle group twice per week.

I made gains in my 40s, especially in my back, up until my 50s. I'm 52 this November.
My legs have told me to bugger off, but that's OK, I hate buying new pants every other month.

I train 3x a week, A/B split, incorporating some DC principles, with an occasional phase of lighter weight and more pumping in rotation.
3x a week is enough. Am I still gaining significantly? No, I don't think so really, but I am "improving".
I like 3x a week for frequency, recovery, and the maintenance of a normal life.

This is at 48 when I decided to compete again

IMG_20210701_205334_331.jpg :

I made gains in my 40s, especially in my back, up until my 50s. I'm 52 this November.
My legs have told me to bugger off, but that's OK, I hate buying new pants every other month.

I train 3x a week, A/B split, incorporating some DC principles, with an occasional phase of lighter weight and more pumping in rotation.
3x a week is enough. Am I still gaining significantly? No, I don't think so really, but I am "improving".

View attachment 138561:

Hawkmoon just shut down you can’t build in your 40 and 50’S with that lat spread damn bro!!!

View attachment 138561:
holy smokes. that is inspiring. do you have a pic at 52? we are the same age. i think i peaked around 48 and have been busting my ass just to keep what i have. it is disheartening to work this hard and not make "gains."

holy smokes. that is inspiring. do you have a pic at 52? we are the same age. i think i peaked around 48 and have been busting my ass just to keep what i have. it is disheartening to work this hard and not make "gains."
Thanks man. This is last Friday.
IMG_20210702_204020_890.jpg

Hawkmoon just shut down you can’t build in your 40 and 50’S with that lat spread damn bro!!!

I fell in love with back training in my 40s. Also when I set my sights on competing again I really got to work and put that much extra oomph into it.

Thanks man. This is last Friday.
View attachment 138562

Dang man. And this is training 3x per week on a modified DC split correct? If you could train 4-5-6 days per week, would you? Throw out any work/family obligations. If you had a sole focus in life to compete again in 6 months, what would your split look like?

40 is not old. Look at Robby Robinson ,he trains 7 days, and some times 2 times per day. I will be with Robby at his workout seminar on July 31 at Leo Costa`s Gym. Fantastic news regarding Robby`s Sickle Cell, Robby has no more symptoms of Sickle Cell, he is now a Alpha thalassemia silent carrier, Alpha carriers generally have no signs or symptoms of the disorder. The lack of alpha globin protein is so minor that the body's hemoglobin works normally.

View attachment 138561:

Hawkmoon . . . just amazing at 52, amazing at any age o_O. Call you Batman with those wings.

O do not really care what your 'rotation' (body parts) is but do you take a day off between workout?

My experience . . .

I started TRT (a high TRT but no PED''s before) at 50 and it made a huge positive
difference in appearance and strength strength almost over night. Held it until I
started getting some yellow flags via blood tests. Backed of on dosage and lost a
small amount of size and strength. No biggie, a small concession.

New doc lowered my dosage even more and I noticed a difference to my disaffection
but it is what it is. I don't need to look good mowing the lawn anymore but I still
look half way decent in shorts and no shirt, for may age that is (67). Will post
up a few when I get up the nerve . . . but don't hold your breadth ;)

Bottom line is if rebuilding previously existing muscle at 50 you are good to go.
Doing the same at 60, you will get back some but not all. May be disappointed but
no amount of 'new' PED's is going to make much of a difference except Russian
roulette with your health. You get to pick.

And don't be afraid of intensity, it is your friend. Just don't do anything that causes
real pain. Look for alternative exercises. These is no special one for this or that.

Another bottom line . . . don't be looking for any miracles, a fountain of youth.
You will improve. How much depends on your expectations which I hope are not
set too high.

Dang man. And this is training 3x per week on a modified DC split correct? If you could train 4-5-6 days per week, would you? Throw out any work/family obligations. If you had a sole focus in life to compete again in 6 months, what would your split look like?
Yes. This was AB as follows:
A: Back, Chest, Shoulders
B: Arms, Legs
90m sessions, MWF

I can tell you this much: in prep for my second show in 2018, I did 5x a week with T&T dedicated to arms.
I didn't look any better and was significantly more run down.

3x a week allows me to hammer myself and recover well. IMO I make my best progress this way, especially as I like to train beyond failure regularly.

Hawkmoon . . . just amazing at 52, amazing at any age o_O. Call you Batman with those wings.

O do not really care what your 'rotation' (body parts) is but do you take a day off between workout?

My experience . . .

I started TRT (a high TRT but no PED''s before) at 50 and it made a huge positive
difference in appearance and strength strength almost over night. Held it until I
started getting some yellow flags via blood tests. Backed of on dosage and lost a
small amount of size and strength. No biggie, a small concession.

New doc lowered my dosage even more and I noticed a difference to my disaffection
but it is what it is. I don't need to look good mowing the lawn anymore but I still
look half way decent in shorts and no shirt, for may age that is (67). Will post
up a few when I get up the nerve . . . but don't hold your breadth ;)

Bottom line is if rebuilding previously existing muscle at 50 you are good to go.
Doing the same at 60, you will get back some but not all. May be disappointed but
no amount of 'new' PED's is going to make much of a difference except Russian
roulette with your health. You get to pick.

And don't be afraid of intensity, it is your friend. Just don't do anything that causes
real pain. Look for alternative exercises. These is no special one for this or that.

Another bottom line . . . don't be looking for any miracles, a fountain of youth.
You will improve. How much depends on your expectations which I hope are not
set too high.
Ron, you defo have the right approach for longevity and life balance that suits your needs. Many never figure that out.
I only train MWF. I need the days off to recover and like having a weekend :)

Im 48 now. I train full body 3 days a week now giving 48 hours in between workouts. I picked up the 48 hours rest from Big As article years ago. I chose that mainly because I tore my left pec tendon over a year ago. Less chance of injury at my age and fuller recovery. My weight varies through the year 300lbs in the winter 280 in summer.

very much enjoying all the responses. thx fellas.

correct me if i'm wrong... i rmbr emeric mentioned to train a muscle(esp legs) more frequently to prevent muscle fm deterioration?

The most logical explanation is that for most of your training life, your training was suboptimal, to say the least.

I fell in love with back training in my 40s. Also when I set my sights on competing again I really got to work and put that much extra oomph into it.

How looks your back day?

How looks your back day?

Right now it's:

Hammer Low rows 4-5 sets. Last set 1,2x rest-pause. 5.5 to 6 plates
Rack Chins 3x15; 60-90s stretch hanging

Right now it's:

Hammer Low rows 4-5 sets. Last set 1,2x rest-pause. 5.5 to 6 plates
Rack Chins 3x15; 60-90s stretch hanging

Ohh, simple and basic, there are not millions of exercises, sets, angles....

Do you stretch after each set or only at the end of training?

Rack chins seems to be an underrated exercise, what made you think about using it?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws