over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

omeprazole affects fat loss ???

shaker89

Registered
Newbies
i've been prescribed omeprazole 40 mg daily for chronic GERD with erosive esophagitis and hiuatus hernia for 6 months now ....the condition got better after 2 months on the ppi but when i tried to discontinue it, i got horrible rebound and worsening of the esophagus again ...went back on and gained some fat during the time i'm on the omeprazole.
now i'm on trt trying to cut some fat but noticed it's a lot slower and harder than what's normal for me or than the rate i used to lose fat at.

so i was wondering is it me getting older or is the medication hindering my progress ?

did any one cut successfully while on high dose of ppi ?

I don't know about the fat loss inhibiting effects but I know that I swapped to "Protonic" (Pantoprazole) and had much better results with controling my stomach acid.
Since my surgery I've since gone to "Dexilant" (dexlansoprazole) and it's working better than anything else and hasn't inhibited my digestion any like other PPI have.
Only problem is the cost , with insurance I still pay $75 a month and my GI had to confirm it was the only med that worked to the insurance.

I think the only thing that would cause slowed fat loss from a PPI would be that it's slowing down digestive process and that in some way if effecting it

I don't think the omeprazole is hindering fat loss/affecting body composition. What is likely is delayed gastric emptying. There's some mechanistic evidence of effects on gut microbiota in rodents but it's a bit of a stretch that 6 months of clinical doses meaningfully affects human gut microbiota.

I don't know about the fat loss inhibiting effects but I know that I swapped to "Protonic" (Pantoprazole) and had much better results with controling my stomach acid.
Since my surgery I've since gone to "Dexilant" (dexlansoprazole) and it's working better than anything else and hasn't inhibited my digestion any like other PPI have.
Only problem is the cost , with insurance I still pay $75 a month and my GI had to confirm it was the only med that worked to the insurance.

I think the only thing that would cause slowed fat loss from a PPI would be that it's slowing down digestive process and that in some way if effecting it
i found out that pantoprazole and lansoprazole are weeker mg to mg that omeprazole ...i'll give pantoprazole a try and see if that heavy feeling goes away

I don't think the omeprazole is hindering fat loss/affecting body composition. What is likely is delayed gastric emptying. There's some mechanistic evidence of effects on gut microbiota in rodents but it's a bit of a stretch that 6 months of clinical doses meaningfully affects human gut microbiota.
i too found some studies that points out to weight gain and microbiota change but no real mechanism or explanation ...i hope it's all in my head

I have been on and off PPIs for long time and coming off them is always difficult. what I have done in the past is gone to a compounding pharmacy and asked the to make lansoprazole in 5mg capsules and used this dosage to taper down a lot slower. its a game changer.

Iv been on omeprazole for well over 10 years now! And i was a big lad as in fat. I did loose a ton of weight and never thought the ppi was causing it to be any slower, however it was my first time loosing weight so I wouldn't know if it was slow. I do agree with Type-IIx, I do tend to take them only when its really bad and maintain a bland diet lol

i've been prescribed omeprazole 40 mg daily for chronic GERD with erosive esophagitis and hiuatus hernia for 6 months now ....the condition got better after 2 months on the ppi but when i tried to discontinue it, i got horrible rebound and worsening of the esophagus again ...went back on and gained some fat during the time i'm on the omeprazole.
now i'm on trt trying to cut some fat but noticed it's a lot slower and harder than what's normal for me or than the rate i used to lose fat at.

so i was wondering is it me getting older or is the medication hindering my progress ?

did any one cut successfully while on high dose of ppi ?
I had a similar experience. The first 8-10 months on ppi my appetite was way higher, but then as I spent more time on it my appetite was notably lower on PPI and it made cutting easier and bulking much harder. I would notice right away my appetite would increase if I skipped or missed a dose. I was only taking 20mg 3x/wk, not 40mg/day. I switched from ppi to zantac b/c zantac is still available in my country for only about $3 for 30 tablets. Zantac I have to dose twice per day but appetite just remains normal.

Over the counter omeprazole is only 20mg. Be an easy way to cut the dose down. I get pretty bad acid reflux sometimes, enough that pepcid complete only last maybe 6 hrs instead of the 12 it's supposed to. 20mg omeprazole knock it dead in its tracks.

I have been on and off PPIs for long time and coming off them is always difficult. what I have done in the past is gone to a compounding pharmacy and asked the to make lansoprazole in 5mg capsules and used this dosage to taper down a lot slower. its a game changer.
how long did it take you to taper down ? ....over days to weeks or we're talking months here ?

I had a similar experience. The first 8-10 months on ppi my appetite was way higher, but then as I spent more time on it my appetite was notably lower on PPI and it made cutting easier and bulking much harder. I would notice right away my appetite would increase if I skipped or missed a dose. I was only taking 20mg 3x/wk, not 40mg/day. I switched from ppi to zantac b/c zantac is still available in my country for only about $3 for 30 tablets. Zantac I have to dose twice per day but appetite just remains normal.
so after that initial 10 months you found cutting fat easy .....or at least normal ?
i'm afraid it's more than just the appetite, slowing down the metabolism or something along those lines ?
i tried to use famotidine which is supposed to be superior to zantac but had to overdose on it to even help a little with the rebound.

Hm, highly doubt it , but then I think of how apple cider vinegar increases acidity while reducing symptoms of acid reflux for some, but also has an insulin sensitizing effect. It's also marketed for fat loss, so who knows? Proton pump inhibitors reduce overall acidity. Never worked for me personally in regards to acid reflux , though. Omeprazole has been shown to increase prolactin which could possibly hurt fat loss https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20726208/

how long did it take you to taper down ? ....over days to weeks or we're talking months here ?
Over the course of a few months if you’ve been on a ppi for a long time. I was taking a full dose of lansoprazole 15mg. So I dropped to 10mg for a month, then 5mg for a month. Then finally off completely. I still got minor rebound symptoms but it was very manageable.

I am prescribed omeprazole for the last 18 years. I feel it has an effect in my weight loss ever since I started.
can you elaborate more pleas ....do you find it difficult to lose weight ? or can't you lose weight at all ?

Hm, highly doubt it , but then I think of how apple cider vinegar increases acidity while reducing symptoms of acid reflux for some, but also has an insulin sensitizing effect. It's also marketed for fat loss, so who knows? Proton pump inhibitors reduce overall acidity. Never worked for me personally in regards to acid reflux , though. Omeprazole has been shown to increase prolactin which could possibly hurt fat loss https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20726208/
never thought about hormonal imbalance ...but that could be the reason why some people on long term ppi get gynecomastia.

Over the course of a few months if you’ve been on a ppi for a long time. I was taking a full dose of lansoprazole 15mg. So I dropped to 10mg for a month, then 5mg for a month. Then finally off completely. I still got minor rebound symptoms but it was very manageable.
thnx bro ....appreciated
i'll lower it by 5 mg over the next couple months and see what happens

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear