over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Blood donation

Dave Perez

Registered
For those of you that are experienced how do you feel the next day?...is your training affected?...

I train the same day after donating with no problems. Don't tell them you use needles, if you do use needles, even if its Dr. prescribed trt. This could get you banned from donating without a script.

I always donated after training as it was on the way home. And never hindered my training the next day. If i was worried about my hematocrit being to low i would start taking iron for a week after donating. The forms i have only ask if i use needles that are not Dr. prescribed. I was banned from one place for a few years telling them my x-wife had spent time in Senegal in the peace corp 10 years earlier. Before they got better tests etc for HIV. Now i use common sense and only answer what will really affect the blood being given.

Thanks....my recent blood work showed my hemoglobin at 18.9...i have been that high for years and it is time to get that number down into the normal range...my doctor prescribed phlebotomies at 500 cc every 2 weeks...that is a pint...sounds a bit radical...plus it costs $50 for every phlebotomy...

Thanks....my recent blood work showed my hemoglobin at 18.9...i have been that high for years and it is time to get that number down into the normal range...my doctor prescribed phlebotomies at 500 cc every 2 weeks...that is a pint...sounds a bit radical...plus it costs $50 for every phlebotomy...

Didn't you say you're 62 in another thread? Definitely not radical to get 18.9 down.

Take it from me, it is a huge waste of time and you risk iron deficiency if you keep donating blood. Once a year is good but if the purpose is to decrease hemoglobin, it's a huge waste since it comes right back up as long as you are still on TRT or whatever you used that made it that high.

For those of you that are experienced how do you feel the next day?...is your training affected?...

No effect.

But I do use it as an opportunity to take the following week off from weight training. FYI, I donate blood on Monday.

Take it from me, it is a huge waste of time and you risk iron deficiency if you keep donating blood. Once a year is good but if the purpose is to decrease hemoglobin, it's a huge waste since it comes right back up as long as you are still on TRT or whatever you used that made it that high.

I do it for a variety of reasons, one being it is a way to give back to my community because of the continuous need for whole blood.

Bi-weekly donations can lead to its own issues. I was doing bi-weekly donations to lower my values, but got educated by a member here (Stewie) of the issues it can create. He uses language that I spend an extra 20 min looking up to figure out what he means in layman’s terms. I’ll see if I can find his response and post it here for your reference.

Cage

I agree. Same with me.

Update...I just did a donation...my hemoglobin was 17.1...i have been off for 3 months and I went down from 18.9 ...I found out I am an O+ so I can do double red cell donations...

Ca
Bi-weekly donations can lead to its own issues. I was doing bi-weekly donations to lower my values, but got educated by a member here (Stewie) of the issues it can create. He uses language that I spend an extra 20 min looking up to figure out what he means in layman’s terms. I’ll see if I can find his response and post it here for your reference.

Cage
Can you please explain or point me in the right direction? I'm having trouble finding what you're talking about.

Some people have an issue where RBC just keeps going up and they have to do phlebotomies, however, this is the exception, not the rule.

For most people with a hematocrit under 55, donating blood will just lead to issues and is totally unnecessary. RBC will actually rebound and you will get higher levels than before.

Consider going off or cruising at actual physiological test levels for just a few months out of the year to totally normalize your crit.

If you don't do cardio, you may suffer from low blood volume relative to your RBC, which drives up hematocrit significantly, cardio can fix this if that's the case.

Ca

Can you please explain or point me in the right direction? I'm having trouble finding what you're talking about.
Here’s a copy and paste from a member here at PM named Stewie.

Unless you have hemochromocytosis (iron overload), dumping blood quicker than your body can assimilate sufficient amounts of iron, this in turn can set the stage for iron deficiency. Either with or without anemia. We lose a decent amount of trace minerals such as iron and zinc when we phlebotomize, being that a majority of these trace minerals are in circulation. There's tissue bound to a lesser degree.

Hypothetically speaking. If by chance your zinc status is greater than your iron status, if there's not enough iron to be sufficiently synthesized into reticulocytes (immature red blood cells) and there's abundant zinc in circulation, this can lead to ZPP (zinc protoporphyrin). This subsequently leads to faulty hemoglobin molecules (deoxyhemoglobin and carboxyhemoglobin-reduced tissue oxygenation) as the incorporation of zinc in red blood cells cannot bind to oxygen, nor transfer it appropriately. The longer you're iron deficient, the more this will stimulate erythropoietin, further producing erythropoiesis (red blood cells) by-way of hypoxia inducible factors, therefore continue to see erythrocytosis (elevated red blood cells) in the presence of iron deficiency. This becomes a vicious cycle.

I don't to distract this thread away from its original topic. Which happens more often than not, unfortunately.

If you'd like to open a new thread on the detriments of over-phlebotomizing. I'm sure we could attract some attention to that, although it's been discussed several times many times in the past.

I just donated today. My Hemo was 17.9. I usually don't train after I donate. I just like to play it safe. My blood pressure was 176/93. They were pretty concerned about that. I'm hoping giving blood will help it go down also. I think I need to donate more. They like my blood anyways. I'm O-

The longer you're iron deficient, the more this will stimulate erythropoietin, further producing erythropoiesis (red blood cells) by-way of hypoxia inducible factors, therefore continue to see erythrocytosis (elevated red blood cells) in the presence of iron deficiency. This becomes a vicious cycle.
Thanks Cage! I will try to dig a little more on this topic but this is interesting very to me. Looks like Kal touched on this above as well.
Basically, a phlebotomy is a short term fix whether you're trying to lower crit or RBC and will likely cause a rebound that is equal to or greater than where you at originally which makes another phlebotomy necessary ad infinitum...
Hopefully got that somewhat right.

I just donated today. My Hemo was 17.9. I usually don't train after I donate. I just like to play it safe. My blood pressure was 176/93. They were pretty concerned about that. I'm hoping giving blood will help it go down also. I think I need to donate more. They like my blood anyways. I'm O-
Holy hypertension krman!...my BP for years has been about 100/70 even when on...

You have to sort that blood pressure, lifestyle changes will probably be needed.

Just got back from my second donation...hemo was 15.6...bp was 100/60...pulse was 60...I am 62...I've been off AAS since September...moral of my story is to get off for a while and donate!...

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear