over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Definitive Health Thread

Don't forget to add to this thread as needed!

For cardiac risk:

Apo B is possibly the single most important heart disease risk blood test you can get. Lower is better
Lp(a) is also a mandatory blood test for every human to get. It is largely genetic so you want to check it at least once. Lower is better.
Nt Pro BNP is also very good to make sure you don't have any early stages of heart failure. Lower is better

Many others are also good but Apo B is probably the king if you had to only choose one.

All these standard lipid panels we get are far less consequential than these.

Sorry if its mentioned but whats the best form of curcumin? Seems like its always changing
There's some debate about that. Personally I just stick with the standardized curcumin, supplemented with 30mg bioperine. I think most people underestimate how much bioperine you need to use to get the maximum benefit.

Interesting.
Does this pick up all cancer?

I’m not sure about how detailed it is, I’m sure it’s not as detailed as say a full body MRI scan, but how often can we get those done? Lol

I know it tests for certain “antibodies” (not sure if that’s the right terminology) that the body produces when certain cancers/tumors are detected in certain areas..

I know the test specified lungs, pancreas, colon and a few others…

Definitely worth getting it done every so often. I think it was maybe like $250 or something..

Lowering HCT

Active things you could try:

• Get more cardio and aerobic exercise
• Stay hydrated always
• Stay away from alcohol and caffeine (both are dehydrating)
• Phlebotomy (under a doctor's supervision)

Supplements/drugs that may help:

• High EPA/DHA Omega 3 oil daily
• Grapefruit as a fruit or supplement Naringin
Note: although effective in studies, grapefruit and extracts may cause problems with many medications due to interference with the CYP3A4 enzyme which help break down and slow absorption of many medications and may lead to dangerously higher blood concentration, or C(max), or a longer duration of activity of many drugs, possibly leading to overdose or other problems
• Aspirin (e.g., 81mg)
• Eliquis*, Warfarin* or equiv. (DVT prevention)

* see side effect profile

Feel free to correct or add to this and I'll put it in.

Last edited:
Bump...

Want to talk about

Lowering HCT

Active things you could try:

• Get more cardio and aerobic exercise
• Stay hydrated always
• Stay away from alcohol and caffeine (both are dehydrating)
• Phlebotomy (under a doctor's supervision)

Supplements/drugs that may help:

• High EPA/DHA Omega 3 oil daily
• Grapefruit as a fruit or supplement Naringin
Note: I hesitated to add this one bc while although effective in studies, it may cause problems with many medications due to it interfering with the CYP3A4 enzyme which helps break down and slow absorption of many medications from statins to benzos and may cause a much higher blood concentration, or C(max), or a longer duration of activity (AUC) possibly leading to overdose or other problems.
• Aspirin low dose
• Eliquis, Warfarin or equiv. (prevention of DVT)

Feel free to correct or add to this and I'll put it in.
2 things just for thought. As for caffeine it is a dietetic, but for most people if they are drinking coffee they will be taking in more H2O then the drug is releasing from my reading and experience.
And Warfarin can lead to calcification of the arteries due to lack of Vit K. So that should be addressed.

2 things just for thought. As for caffeine it is a dietetic, but for most people if they are drinking coffee they will be taking in more H2O then the drug is releasing from my reading and experience.
And Warfarin can lead to calcification of the arteries due to lack of Vit K. So that should be addressed.
No water loss at all is a good idea for someone with high HCT. Warfarin or Eliquis or equiv may be considered in severe cases. The risk of DVT and thromboembolism is far more deadly than any endothelial problems arising from medication. Obviously aspirin would be preferred. Altered the entry though. Thank you for suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
LEF's prices always seemed reasonable to me. They have a few. I used to get their tests when they ran their yearly sale and would use them when needed. Now my insurance covers most things but i keep them in reserve just in case. Never can have to many sources.

LEF's prices always seemed reasonable to me. They have a few. I used to get their tests when they ran their yearly sale and would use them when needed. Now my insurance covers most things but i keep them in reserve just in case. Never can have to many sources.
I like that panel !

Blood pressure is 130/80. If it doesn't improve, is blood pressure medicine best?

No one talks about AAS causing focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.

It should be a serious variable for AAS users to be aware of, especially those who don't combat hypertension religiously.

No one talks about AAS causing focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.

It should be a serious variable for AAS users to be aware of, especially those who don't combat hypertension religiously.
Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) is a rare disease that affects the filters in your kidneys. When these filters are scarred, they are unable to filter your blood, which can lead to kidney damage and failure. Treatment for FSGS focuses on treating the symptoms and preventing any additional scarring

Stolen from a website

Had to Google no idea what this was

Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) is a rare disease that affects the filters in your kidneys. When these filters are scarred, they are unable to filter your blood, which can lead to kidney damage and failure. Treatment for FSGS focuses on treating the symptoms and preventing any additional scarring

Stolen from a website

Had to Google no idea what this was
Use Google Scholar. For example:

Development of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis after anabolic steroid abuse​

"...Because of the expected rise in serum creatinine as a result of increased muscle mass in bodybuilders, this complication is likely underrecognized."

Anabolic steroid abuse can lead to focal segmental glomerulosclerosis
"...etiology of FsGs in such patients is likely to be multifactorial, involving overwork of the kidneys due to elevated Bmi and resulting glomerular hyperfiltration, the adverse effects of a high-protein diet and of other supplements, the effects of systemic and exercise-induced hypertension, and potential direct effects of anabolic steroids on glomerular cells."

AAS changes important variables like increased fibrosis within kidneys. AAS causes hypertension, which furthers more nephrotic changes.

You can't repair kidneys once they're damaged. Way too little attention goes to the kidneys in discussions. People mostly focus only on liver and the heart modulation.

My father died at 49 of a massive coronary heart attack. His father died at 49 of a heart attack. I never believed I would suffer the same fate because my lifestyle choices are much different (no smoking, little drinking, good diet, etc). One of my sisters wasn’t so sure and she was counting down the years until my certain death at 49.

I have had a history of high cholesterol and of course on and off again AAS usage.

Since I’ve been living on borrowed time for the last 7 years, I finally decided to get a calcium score and had the scan this last Saturday. I have been dreading the result. Surely with that history I have to be plugged up pretty good and will need significant life changes.

Got the result from my doc today. Calcium score: 0 (zero)!!

Looks like the grim reaper will just have to wait a bit longer.

My father died at 49 of a massive coronary heart attack. His father died at 49 of a heart attack. I never believed I would suffer the same fate because my lifestyle choices are much different (no smoking, little drinking, good diet, etc). One of my sisters wasn’t so sure and she was counting down the years until my certain death at 49.

I have had a history of high cholesterol and of course on and off again AAS usage.

Since I’ve been living on borrowed time for the last 7 years, I finally decided to get a calcium score and had the scan this last Saturday. I have been dreading the result. Surely with that history I have to be plugged up pretty good and will need significant life changes.

Got the result from my doc today. Calcium score: 0 (zero)!!

Looks like the grim reaper will just
That’s great You might also want to look into The carotid intima-media thickness test (CIMT) it is cheap and non invasive and will see if you have any soft plaque. Neither is 100% but I would always want to be the guy with zero score than not

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member