over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low fat or low carb?

Lildawg

Registered
Newbies
I'm looking for the best diet to lose fat, but maintain as much muscle as possible. I'm doing my best to learn through research, but I believe this route will provide a quicker and better answer(s). Thank you in advance!

I don't feel like limiting either nutrient is ideal health wise. I do think both have benefits for staying lean. I carb cycle, high protein every day, the rest of my intake is carbs on training days and fat on off days.

Which do you feel best on and perform the best on (in the gym and in life)? Which do you enjoy and can stick with and progress on? That's the one to do.
I'm bigger and stronger on low fat, but much leaner on low carb.

Fats aren't really that helpful with regard to protein synthesis and breakdown.

Carbohydrates are pretty powerful with regard to preventing protein breakdown.

Dietary carbohydrates are extremely unlikely to get stored as body fat.

Dietary fat is fairly likely to be stored as body fat.

Plus fruits and veggies are the best thing you can eat. Low carb means restricting some of those.

Plus fruits and veggies are the best thing you can eat. Low carb means restricting some of those.
Agree with this. I would be careful though to limit fat too low say less than 30 g per day.

I always tell my clients, Muscles are made out of protein, carbs are fuel, and your fat is made out of fat LOL! I know this very simplistic but a good general guideline. Finding the right combination for each individual is the hard part.

Why would you restrict fruits and veggies. When im keto I eat a shit loaf of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, peppers (various colors), blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Fats aren't really that helpful with regard to protein synthesis and breakdown.

Carbohydrates are pretty powerful with regard to preventing protein breakdown.

Dietary carbohydrates are extremely unlikely to get stored as body fat.

Dietary fat is fairly likely to be stored as body fat.
WTF??? LOL 😆

Pick a fuel source and the argument is mute

Why would you restrict fruits and veggies. When im keto I eat a shit loaf of broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, peppers (various colors), blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. What the fuck are you even talking about?
calm down

I said keto restricts "some" of those

For example carrots, corn, watermelon, pineapple, etc

WTF??? LOL 😆

Pick a fuel source and the argument is mute
A protein only meal is going to stimulate protein synthesis about the same as a meal with both protein and carbs or protein and fats

A meal with protein and fats won't do as much to reduce protein breakdown but a meal with protein and carbs will do a lot to reduce protein breakdown

Dietary carbohydrates rarely every go through the long process of filling glycogen, not being needed for fuel, being converted to fats, not being needed for fuel, then getting stored as fat

Dietary fats are very easily and frequently stored as body fat

I'm looking for the best diet to lose fat, but maintain as much muscle as possible. I'm doing my best to learn through research, but I believe this route will provide a quicker and better answer(s). Thank you in advance!
Unless you are a monster already, then adequate protein + resistance training + even moderately supraphysiological levels of androgens will result in maximal fat loss with no real muscle loss. Throw in some low calorie fibrous vegetables and micronutrient supplements. This diet is referred to as a protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF). Compliance with these diets isn't great because you will be miserable, but they produce results.

To continue my comment, all carbs fall somewhere on the glycemic index. The glycemic index rates how much sugar any carb turns into. For instance, you'd have to eat a GIANT platter of veggies to equal 1/2 cup of pasta.
Some veggies are higher on the scale than others. (Carrots much higher than lettuce) Very simple to look up. Want to lose fat, choose more low glycemic veggies/carbs, than high. NO STARCHY CARBS.
Keep protein high, fat moderate. Again, basic fundamentals. Protein=muscle, carbs=fuel, fat=fat. Although with a lower carb diet your body begins to use fat as fuel. Think Atkins.
Everyone is different. Takes many diets to dial in what works for you.
Kiss method: "Keep it simple stupid!!"

Thank you all for the excellent information! I'm just a 46 yo man just trying to stay young and fit!

Every"body" is different and you'll have to see what works best for you to achieve what your looking for. For me personally, for my last prep, my coach couldn't believe how my body was a furnace. He kept feeding me and feeding me and I would keep dropping weight and getting leaner. He's a well known local training as well as an IFBB pro and would just shake his head at what he would feed me and I'd still lean out. He kept adding higher amounts of carbs and protein with every meal and cutting my fats very low. In fact, he said I had the easiest prep as he never put me into a caloric deficit including peak week. If I didn't keep my carbs up, I was looking very flat. It's just what worked for me. In fact, eating a couple of donuts and M&M's the night before show and morning of would make me crazy vascular for hours and even into the next few days. I guess I craved the sugar :cool:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws