over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The #1 Reason Why Bodybuilding Isn't Popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieltx

Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
Screenshot-20220625-201107-Instagram.jpg

Initially I was shocked when I read the caption, but I quickly remembered 99.999999% of guys competing have no business sense or know-how for growing anything besides their muscles.

The Rock didn't become a star by keeping his mouth shut and respecting others. Neither did Steve Austin, John Cena, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, etc.

No bodybuilders cross over to mainstream because of this mentality. Everyone says shows need to give more prize more and get bigger sponsors, but you can't do that without growing the sport's popularity and creating true superstars. You don't do that by keeping your mouth shut.

It's so frustrating to see this, and even more frustrating to see the fans and competitors support it. As long as you want this to be a boring, respectful, stay-in-your-lane sport, don't complain about prize money, sponsorships, mainstream coverage, getting on ESPN, etc.

A lot of guys fail to realize their financial success in bodybuilding depends on how hyped the fans get etc. That was one of the reasons why Shawn Ray was so terrible at commentating shows. He would criticize guys rather than emphasize how awesome they looked. You would never see NFL commentators focusing on how crappy the game is, how substandard the athletes are, etc. You need to get people to be excited about what they are watching.

I wonder how many people are actually taking bets on which of these Olympia pros dies next

Screenshot-20220625-201107-Instagram.jpg

Initially I was shocked when I read the caption, but I quickly remembered 99.999999% of guys competing have no business sense or know-how for growing anything besides their muscles.

The Rock didn't become a star by keeping his mouth shut and respecting others. Neither did Steve Austin, John Cena, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, etc.

No bodybuilders cross over to mainstream because of this mentality. Everyone says shows need to give more prize more and get bigger sponsors, but you can't do that without growing the sport's popularity and creating true superstars. You don't do that by keeping your mouth shut.

It's so frustrating to see this, and even more frustrating to see the fans and competitors support it. As long as you want this to be a boring, respectful, stay-in-your-lane sport, don't complain about prize money, sponsorships, mainstream coverage, getting on ESPN, etc.

I think for me, that type of behavior, hyped up trash talking, would drive me away from the sport. Some friendly jabs back and forth is fine but not all out war type nonsense. When I became interested in bodybuilding in the early to mid 80's, I was drawn to it because of the physiques and nothing more. Showing personality on ones social media page is fine but some overblown, macho, shit talking, BS fest would drive me away. Just my opinion.

This back and forth with Lee Haney and Mike Christian is fun...

Bodybuilding will never have mainstream appeal because bodybuilding shows are very entertaining from a gen-pop spectators perspective. It's not a traditional sport in that the physical element takes place behind closed doors - the competitive element is 10 blokes poncing about in a thong - there's no tension, no excitement, no chance of a scrappy underdog stealing a win with a last minute score.

It will never be popular because nobody wants to look like that and that's ok. You should do it because you love doing it. Lots of better ways to make money. I've lifted for over twenty years and I would t want to look like that. I prefer the look of the 70s and 80s bodybuilders. I still respect what they do and like to see how freaky they can get. But I'll also understand the work that goes into it and the the rare genes it takes to build that kind of size. Your average person thinks you just take steroids and grow muscle at will. Lol

I think everyone is forgetting that at one time it was mainstream. Mid to late 1980's the fitness craze was unreal and people were into it. In the early '90s shows were broadcast on ESPN. Supplements were advertised on TV and even FLEX magazine had a show that had pros training.

I have to agree with Bio; I don't want or need some WWE bullshit. I'd prefer if the shows were straight-up boring. Come out and do the eight compulsories, some comparisons and that's it.

I think everyone is forgetting that at one time it was mainstream. Mid to late 1980's the fitness craze was unreal and people were into it. In the early '90s shows were broadcast on ESPN. Supplements were advertised on TV and even FLEX magazine had a show that had pros training.

I have to agree with Bio; I don't want or need some WWE bullshit. I'd prefer if the shows were straight-up boring. Come out and do the eight compulsories, some comparisons and that's it.
Yes, the true bodybuilding fans will always be there no matter what's presented.

I'm talking about growing the sport. We hear complaints about prize money, live streams, no standardization of presentation (lighting, stage), testing for athletes, healthcare, etc. The way you improve these is by actively growing the sport as a whole to bring in more revenue. One aspect of that is creating star personalities that draw the casual and non-fans - that's how you really grow.

The UFC fighter who wins his fight, gets his interview and is asked 'Who do you want to face next?' and replies 'I'll face anyone UFC tells me to.' is woefully average and spends his career in mid-card mediocrity at best. The Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar, etc., says who they want, what they're going to do, and how they're going to do it - which draws in casual and non-fans, ups the profile of the promotion to secure greater media contracts, gives the sport mainstream relevancy, etc.

Unlike the 80s, 90s, and 00s, it's 2022 and fewer and fewer people want to look like these two monkeys anymore. It may come back in style but for today, men, women young and old want to be fully functional.and athletically muscular - not getting winded from a flight of steps with no balls, a limp dick, and varicosities covering their entire legs.

20220626_032321.jpg

Unlike the 80s, 90s, and 00s, it's 2022 and fewer and fewer people want to look like these two monkeys anymore. It may come back in style but for today, men, women young and old want to be fully functional.and athletically muscular - not getting winded from a flight of steps with no balls, a limp dick, and varicosities covering their entire legs.

View attachment 159686
Exactly - beside few people nobody would like to look like that. If judges would still reward physiques like Zane I
think bodybuilding would be much more popular today among masses.

View attachment 159686
WOW! Crazy how professionalmuscle has changed over the years.😪

I agree. But everyone you just mentioned had public appeal. If bodybuilding needs publicity, it will need more RCs, Yates, Wheelers, Levrones, Zanes, etc - beauty & human form. And what happened to these days?.....

View attachment 159690
It's called classic division, Chris Bumstead is the king 🤴
Screenshot_20220626-044211_Google.jpg

WOW! Crazy how professionalmuscle has changed over the years.😪
Don't read so much into it. I still am full-on muscle. And I like all the divisions. But I like muscle. But the topic of this thread is reasons why bodybuilding isn't as popular. Try to stay on topic.

I usually agree with you Daniel but this time I can't 😝

BB'ING isn't popular because it never has been and because it never will be unless it goes back to natural status or a more natural status at the least.

Ask people on the street what they think of say a Nick Walker (or any one pro) and 99% of people is going to say "disgusting". At least 99 percent.

So people are never going to watch something like that, it's as simple as that.

Now don't ask me why something like wrestling IS popular in the US, I don't understand it neither 😂

Not sure on this one.
I go to the gym and I see more young guys then I ever have before juiced up.
So I don’t think it’s the “drugs”

I think the majority here could never make to the level either of those guys have.
Not from lack of effort either.
So instead of trash talking them I will respect the hard work!

As far as “shows” it’s never been popular here where I am. But the competition inside the gym is certainly there.

Not sure how it could be changed to be a bit more “manly” I guess that is called strongman, powerlifting, and the Olympics.

Go to local show here to see who wins the state title….. it’s mostly the guys family and friends. Hired in pros draw a few but not many.

I usually agree with you Daniel but this time I can't 😝

BB'ING isn't popular because it never has been and because it never will be unless it goes back to natural status or a more natural status at the least.

Ask people on the street what they think of say a Nick Walker (or any one pro) and 99% of people is going to say "disgusting". At least 99 percent.

So people are never going to watch something like that, it's as simple as that.

Now don't ask me why something like wrestling IS popular in the US, I don't understand it neither 😂
I do not agree - maybe people do not want to look like that, but when they come to mr.o they want to see a freak show - something that seems not human and unattainable if it were not so, most tickets would be sold in the categories in shorts and classic and not on bodybuilding

such an analogy - when you go to the zoo to see pigeons or a lion...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner