YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Steve Reeves 1954 Mr. Universe... filmed in the movie Athena... the GOAT of his time?

Wow, dude had a crazy perfect physique.
does everyone agree he was nattie?
the weight lifting part pretty cheesy, but his posing was spot on!
I believe he was natty but I am not absolutely certain. I have fotos of him at a very early age and he looked amazing. (I am on the road traveling so I don’t have access to them.) I also know a man, don’t know if he is still alive, who trained with Steve, I believe in Oakland, CA. Said he would literally see his development improve overnight. FYI, Steve attributed his calf development to riding his bicycle up the hills on paper route. Sure.

But I would have to talk to Randy Roach (Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors, Volume I) about that to get more intel. I also believe Grimick (sp) but am not absolutely certain, tried Dianbol? for a few weeks, he said it did nothing for him if my memory serves.

Bill Pearl was natty early on but got on the wagon letter in his career. Just look at the before and after fotos and I believe he also admitted as much. I never asked him when I talked to him on the phone in Oregon.

I would think that those physiques would be quite attainable naturally with 2 years of training for many if not most. With the knowledge, equipment etc we have now.

I would think that those physiques would be quite attainable naturally with 2 years of training for many if not most. With the knowledge, equipment etc we have , many if not most at my gym don´t have a physique like Steve Reeves in the movie above, myself included, if two years was enough time to get to that level of development, most of the male gym going population would have it and that is not the case.
Attainable yes, nut not by many / most, if two years was enough to get the physique Reeves is sporting in the movie above, we would all have it, and that is simply not the case for the common natural male gym member. Check his stats:

41aa58c3d6978b5822c207100a9e76cd.jpg

With the below look he´d be crushing it today, in 1947 (75 years ago) he must have been an extraterrestrial.

steve-reeves-foto-culturismo.jpg

It would be interesting to look at whoe he was around all through his life and when testosterone came on the scene around him. In some pictures he looks puffy. Is there a biography out there on his?

Attainable yes, nut not by many / most, if two years was enough to get the physique Reeves is sporting in the movie above, we would all have it, and that is simply not the case for the common natural male gym member. Check his stats:

With the below look he´d be crushing it today, in 1947 (75 years ago) he must have been an extraterrestrial.

I can see truth with that. But i was not talking about your average male gym rat. As they will not train and push themselves consistently. Never skip a meal and rest the way they should. I find it is the rare individual that does that. When i have asked people over the last few decades what their meal and daily breakdown is they have no clue and just say they eat a lot. And say they train hard , but it doesn't look like it to me. I have trained natural vegetarian women who have put on over 20 pounds of muscle in 2 years. Steve was over 6' tall and only weighed about 215 at his best. Not exactly huge. That pic shows his waist and thighs to be the same size. But the thighs appear to be smaller then the claim.

I don’t think those stats are correct. Kinda reminds of pro wrestling stats.

Not buying the 29 inch thighs. Everything else, fine. Arnold was slightly taller than Steve and had bigger quads the him, yet even Arnold said his quads were 28.5 at their biggest. I've seen plenty of 6'1 tall guys with 29-30 inch legs...and this is not it.

Not buying the 29 inch thighs. Everything else, fine. Arnold was slightly taller than Steve and had bigger quads the him, yet even Arnold said his quads were 28.5 at their biggest. I've seen plenty of 6'1 tall guys with 29-30 inch legs...and this is not it.
Maybe on Test P on a bulk. I think it was around then :cool:

It would be interesting to look at whoe he was around all through his life and when testosterone came on the scene around him. In some pictures he looks puffy. Is there a biography out there on his?
No bio to my knowledge. Mucho info on Steve, just Google him but most is absolute bullshit. And most, if not all the folks that were around him back then are either dead or have lost what little memory they had of him.

Here I was wrong. The man I know, Ben, who trained with Steve did not do so in Oakland, CA but at Muscle Beach and Vic Tanny’s gym LA. Ben said he had a piercing you know where . . . he must have been ahead of his time. Who knew? Ben had some great stories from that era. When I used to stay with Arthur he would come up and visit and Arthur and him would swap lies 😉 He had a place on a waterway in Southern FL with a boat at his dock in his backyard when I visited him. And heaps of Nautilus equipment rusting in his carport 🙁.

Arthur was around back then. Vic Tammy said he has never seen anybody grow as fast as Arthur did. Joe Gold, ‘Bullet Head’ Arthur called him, don’t know what he called Arthur but it probably was not complimentary, was there back then when he wasn’t out to sea (merchant marine). He and Arthur never got along. Arthur would come in off the street, in his street clothes wearing cowboy boots, and cold, no warm-up, knock off 10 strict bar bell curls with 135.

Ben went with Arthur once to this woman’s house in LA (I don’t recall her name but she was ‘famous’ in some circles) that kept all sorts of exotic poisonous snakes. Ben liked to tell the story how Arthur would reach into a cobra’s cage and pull one out with his bare hands. Crazy times.

Getting back to Steve. He visited the Nautilus plant in FL when it was in full swing as did a lot of famous bodybuilders. Word has it from multiple sources I have talked to about his visit, and for what it’s wit the, they were stunned . . . he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Guess when you are that good looking, and he was, and had his physique, maybe you didn’t need much else. Nice guy though.

Think dbol but I don’t think he partaked. Many who did back then (USA) did not give it enough time to work its magic.

No bio to my knowledge. Mucho info on Steve, just Google him but most is absolute bullshit. And most, if not all the folks that were around him back then are either dead or have lost what little memory they had of him.

Here I was wrong. The man I know, Ben, who trained with Steve did not do so in Oakland, CA but at Muscle Beach and Vic Tanny’s gym LA. Ben said he had a piercing you know where . . . he must have been ahead of his time. Who knew? Ben had some great stories from that era. When I used to stay with Arthur he would come up and visit and Arthur and him would swap lies 😉 He had a place on a waterway in Southern FL with a boat at his dock in his backyard when I visited him. And heaps of Nautilus equipment rusting in his carport 🙁.

Arthur was around back then. Vic Tammy said he has never seen anybody grow as fast as Arthur did. Joe Gold, ‘Bullet Head’ Arthur called him, don’t know what he called Arthur but it probably was not complimentary, was there back then when he wasn’t out to sea (merchant marine). He and Arthur never got along. Arthur would come in off the street, in his street clothes wearing cowboy boots, and cold, no warm-up, knock off 10 strict bar bell curls with 135.

Ben went with Arthur once to this woman’s house in LA (I don’t recall her name but she was ‘famous’ in some circles) that kept all sorts of exotic poisonous snakes. Ben liked to tell the story how Arthur would reach into a cobra’s cage and pull one out with his bare hands. Crazy times.

Getting back to Steve. He visited the Nautilus plant in FL when it was in full swing as did a lot of famous bodybuilders. Word has it from multiple sources I have talked to about his visit, and for what it’s wit the, they were stunned . . . he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Guess when you are that good looking, and he was, and had his physique, maybe you didn’t need much else. Nice guy though.
I knew one guy from NYC that was a hand to hand acrobat. They were big back then and were basically in the physical scene back then along with guys like Reeves. This guy was a sort of NYC dick so what he ever said about anyone was negative. All he said was Reeves wasn't that strong and he use to get real thin when not working out. Not a lot but that's all I can recall. I did hear that he would gain fast and hold it for a long time while working out minimally.

I knew one guy from NYC that was a hand to hand acrobat. They were big back then and were basically in the physical scene back then along with guys like Reeves. This guy was a sort of NYC dick so what he ever said about anyone was negative. All he said was Reeves wasn't that strong and he use to get real thin when not working out. Not a lot but that's all I can recall. I did hear that he would gain fast and hold it for a long time while working out minimally.
Heard / read the same thing. Forgot about that. Thanks for the recall.

I'd put Clancy Ross above Steve Reeves.

did I read correctly that Ben said that Steve Reeves had a Prince Albert?

I'd put Clancy Ross above Steve Reeves.
Clancy in my opinion, while bigger and ‘bulkier’, did not have the universally appealing physique and face that Steve had. Steve had a body that every man wanted to have and every woman wanted to go to bed with. He was the motivating factor (Hercules) for a generation of young kids to start working out with weights. I don’t know of a single person who had that had that kind of influence, not even Arnold who is a very close second.

Sad that Clancy died in abject poverty. Somebody, I don’t remember who, attempted to interview him at a rest home before he died but his memory, by his own admission, was a bit mushy. He was born in the same town as Steve and I believe the two worked out together a time or two in Oakland.

Clancy in my opinion, while bigger and ‘bulkier’, did not have the universally appealing physique and face that Steve had. Steve had a body that every man wanted to have and every woman wanted to go to bed with. He was the motivating factor (Hercules) for a generation of young kids to start working out with weights. I don’t know of a single person who had that had that kind of influence, not even Arnold who is a very close second.

Sad that Clancy died in abject poverty. Somebody, I don’t remember who, attempted to interview him at a rest home before he died but his memory, by his own admission, was a bit mushy. He was born in the same town as Steve and I believe the two worked out together a time or two in Oakland.

I just like Clancy's physique more. Personal opinion.
I met Clancy in the 80's when he worked at Joe Corsi's store. I just remember that chest and rib cage sticking out a mile!

Ron did you know Clancy or ever take photos of him?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear