YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who has actually brought up their calves!?

25 reps fail, take a breath and then get as many reps as possible, repeat until you get 100. It’s not 4x25. You try to get 100 as quick as possible.
Not everyday. I’d do that maybe twice a week.

Gotcha. That makes sense. You use the same weight the whole way through, correct?

Just like any other muscle if someone has very long tendons and bad insertions mass is going to be a problem. I built a fair amount with years of bicycling and using my calve all the way around. But standing calf raises and toe presses on the leg press were my go to moves. Heavy higher reps is great. But all ranges of sets work just like any other muscle. Over 30+ years i found the seated calf to be fairly worthless for me. Especially the way most people do them. Bouncing up and down in the bottom inch or so of motion does little good. Try to get up on the big toe as much as possible on all movements as opposed to rolling the foot to the outside just to get ego gratifying lifts. Form is more important then bouncing.

Multiple sessions (frequency)
Different tempos and stretching

Flex at the top for 2 seconds, long stretch, donkey calf raises, standing, etc.
When going back to once a week, wasnt the same. So i keep calves in 2-3 times in my training splis

I have pretty monster calves but don't really train them directly with calf raises or similar. I put their growth down to very heavy loaded carries and lots of triple extension work (heavy cleans, kB Swings etc).

Oh and sprinting seems to fuck em up nicely too 😂

Ive managed to make everything "bigger" over time. Is it impressive though? Completely different things. Im getting too old to give a shit at this point. I keep doing this because Id be miserable if I didnt and progressively bigger weights and time under tension increase muscular diameter so it will happen if you keep going.

Can you bring up shitty calfs, shoulders, and arms? I did. They were shitty after all so the only way to go is up if youre trying. In terms of work, it wasnt easy and im still not impressed but they are improved without question.

Ime, you make a muscle bigger and it still looks like yours...but bigger. Sounds dumb af to say it but a lot of guys think theyre going to have the shape of tom platz quads with enough work. It definitely doesnt work that way. I never thought I was going to look like anyone in particular but the plot twist is it turns out it was me and not Tom Platz (or anyone else) the whole time. I know. Crazy.

The heavier you are the bigger they'll be. At least that's my experience. The biggest mine were I was hitting them twice a week with a good stretch and contraction. And on the weekends I would hike with a lot of steep elevation. No less than 3.5 hours huffing it to the top. I was 225lbs and had a 25lb pack on.

I've brought up my calves significantly over the years by increasing volume.

I lift every muscle 2x per week, but I use to do calves 4-5x per week. Nowadays I just need to do them 2x, since they have caught up with everything else.

The heavier you are the bigger they'll be. At least that's my experience. The biggest mine were I was hitting them twice a week with a good stretch and contraction. And on the weekends I would hike with a lot of steep elevation. No less than 3.5 hours huffing it to the top. I was 225lbs and had a 25lb pack on.
Agreed. The secret is getting your overall body weight up.

Big Ramy would disagree lol

It seems like taller people along with black guys such as myself are cursed with high calf inserts. My calves still aren’t the greatest but I’ve most certainly made progress over the course of three years. I just started training them 3x a week on a non leg day🤷🏽‍♂️

Attachments

• 4329F562-F1EA-44BC-8D53-086531F51DF9.png
    4329F562-F1EA-44BC-8D53-086531F51DF9.png
    457.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2D12616D-CC68-49D1-A1AF-00A25DA6C877.jpeg
    2D12616D-CC68-49D1-A1AF-00A25DA6C877.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 48
Who on the board has actually brought up their calves and what was your method?

Genetically, I have mediocre calves. Not small or overly large, nor terrible or great. However, I do want to put in an effort to see if I can turn them into something solid. I'm definitely curious to see what has worked for the guys on here who transformed their calves!
Don’t have any before fotos but some recent ones are posted here somewhere.

Best practice for me if flat footed. Zero stretch. I do these on a Smith Machine or leg press.

2 - 3 times a week, maybe both exercises, mostly just one or I might superset them.

High reps, 30 -50. Go up as high as possible. And when you think you have gone high enough, go higher and hold for a count of 3. Slowly lower until your heels are on the ground then rock back on them raising the front of your feet and fold.

Toe presses on leg press machine. I put my toes together and my heals out forming a triangle. Then touch your knees together and start pressing on your toes.

I added size to mine by training them twice a week. Always different rep/set/weight schemes.
Same here. Bottom line is treating them like their important. I hit them hard as fuck twice per week with workouts those days having calves as the primary target muscle.

I can’t remember who said it but the best advice I’ve heard is your calves will be as big as your pain tolerance.

why couldnt dennis wolf do it? ian valkieree?
then there is mike matarazzo and heck me... i didnt train my calves cuz they were biggr than my biceps...

why couldnt dennis wolf do it? ian valkieree?
then there is mike matarazzo and heck me... i didnt train my calves cuz they were biggr than my biceps...
Dennis Wolf didn’t have small calves, they looked small because he was huge.
These guys calves grew over time they just didn’t grow as fast or as much as the rest of their muscles.

Put these calves on your average gym rat

Attachments

• 2B48B421-D8B5-4833-AAC3-3806ED149A2A.jpeg
    2B48B421-D8B5-4833-AAC3-3806ED149A2A.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 31
One day!

I think a big part of the struggle is getting good contractions, for the guys with weak calves. I struggle with ankle mobility and my small ass feet, I find it hard to get the most out of sets without my feet cramping and just making for poor stimulus.

I agree with the benefit of exercises without spinal load. Not just to save the cns for frequency purposes but for better loading. If anybody has had access to that cybex machine In which you are sitting at a downward 45 degree angle and you use the foot bar to simply press forward. Like a leg press calf Raise but obviously the weight is loaded the opposite way. That machine is amazing.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws