over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Does Testosterone Weaken tendons?

intensed

Registered
Whats your thoughts, does testosterone weaken tendons? Are you more likely to rupture a tendon because of testosterone injections.

I've never seen or heard of any evidence that it would weaken connective tissue.

I could see how you could get a lot stronger and allow you to train harder and heavier which could lead to tendon damage

Anabolics in general are suspected of weakening tendons via impaired elasticity and increasing calcification.

I've read that testosterone in doses above TRT levels tend to weaken tendons, which seems to align with other testosterone traits that turn negative from positive over a certain dosage (visceral fat for example).
This may be due to unmanaged estrogen, but the studies don't look at that - unfortunately.
My surgeon was steadfast on the position that AAS increases the chance of injury.

A few anabolics such as Anavar and EQ show improved collagen synthesis in a good way, in contrast to Winstrol which degrades tendon elasticity.
Nandrolone can prevent fatty deposits in healing connective tissue, but there isn't much positive evidence beyond that.

I dosed Anavar at 20mg a day for six months following my injury along with EQ for the last three months.
It is very hard to know how much it helped, but I had an amazingly fast recovery per my surgeon and PT.

After more than 20 years on test I would say no, I never got an injury and always lifted heavy 550 squats, deads and 450 for benches

Personally all my lifting injuries have been muscle strains or very minor tears. I have never torn any tendons or ligaments.

I think if testosterone weakened tendons or ligaments the old school lifters on here who are say in their 50s would be riddled with tears. I think long term use of anti inflammatory drugs is the real culprit here not testosterone.

Started competing in BBing then powerlifting. Test was always a base. Never had any major tendon injury until my late 40's, both instances were while on DHB. Never had access to it till then. My suspicion is it disproportionately increased muscle vs. tendon strength over a very short amount of time. Tendon strength and insertion into muscle take years to develop IMHO. You get really strong over a very short amount of time...be careful.

Mostly i feel that muscles can increase in strength faster then tendons and ligaments can grow to keep up. Which can lead to injury's.
👍

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Was going to post the exact same thing (with probably way more words).

Nothing more to add or subtract from your post.

And is probably true for all anabolics, no?

Yeah there are freak things that happen like Branch Warren slipping on ice and tearing his quad, but ego lifting due to the psychological impacts of AAS is what causes most tendon damage. I've never had a tendon injury and for years I've been benching 400-500, Hack squatting 600-700, leg pressing 1,000+, low rowing 6 plates, etc. They key has been no matter how good I feel I very rarely move up more than 5-10lbs. in weight over the last session.

👍

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Was going to post the exact same thing (with probably way more words).

Nothing more to add or subtract from your post.

And is probably true for all anabolics, no?
My experience is tendons are one of the slowest growing things for me other then my tolerance for some people. From the studies i have seen it does not seem that tendons every really grow equally to muscles.

My experience is tendons are one of the slowest growing things for me other then my tolerance for some people. From the studies i have seen it does not seem that tendons every really grow equally to muscles.
Yes.

They don’t.

Think blood supply, circulation.

My opinion.

Bones get thicker under stress, load, weight bearing.

Wish tendons and ligaments would get with the program 🙁

Yes.

They don’t.

Think blood supply, circulation.

My opinion.

Bones get thicker under stress, load, weight bearing.

Wish tendons and ligaments would get with the program 🙁
Not to disagree but as for bones the Ortho that did my shoulder replacement told me that the bones that get bigger in diameter are in people that do not work out as the body compensates by building a larger matrix to compensate for the bones weakness. As he noted that a surgery he did the previous week was with a guy who's bone diameter was bigger then average but he said they were about like "tofu" his words. In people like me he said they get denser usually. And mine were like "granite" his words again. Can't say i have seen studies showing if they get bigger and denser but i have read about the denser aspect or working out leading to that.

Yeah there are freak things that happen like Branch Warren slipping on ice and tearing his quad, but ego lifting due to the psychological impacts of AAS is what causes most tendon damage. I've never had a tendon injury and for years I've been benching 400-500, Hack squatting 600-700, leg pressing 1,000+, low rowing 6 plates, etc. They key has been no matter how good I feel I very rarely move up more than 5-10lbs. in weight over the last session.
Completely agree. I am 100% guilty of ego lifting, but as I've aged and learned hard lessons your approach is one I take as well. In addition to limiting amount of weight increments I've also found a lot of success with paying attention to speed. Regardless of lift, if I can't drive it with good consistent speed (even with time under tension) the speed has to be consistent - when it slows down, rack that shit.

Smart. Slow progression.

Has anybody here ever incorporated a small amount of super high rep assistance work to strengthen tendons and ligaments? I have seen powerlifters like Dave Tate talk about this. I believe he mainly does it for tricep type assistance work.

After more than 20 years on test I would say no, I never got an injury and always lifted heavy 550 squats, deads and 450 for benches
One anecdotal evidence says nothing really. Not to attack you personally, don't take it that way but your experience says nothing about the topic at hand.

Both of mine snapped with only 4 plates on the leg press. Once the tendon is overstretched things go bad real fast.

I think testosterone probably does have a negative effect on tendons to a small degree. I think drugs like tren REALLY negatively effect them. The more androgenic compounds. I rupture my bicep tendon and after the surgery my doc asked if I was using androgen. He said my bicep tendon was shriveled up and a fraction of the size that it should be. He said it looked like the bicep tendon of an 80 year old man lol. I don't believe he was bullshitting me whatsoever. He said the surgery took longer because he had to double up on the wire stuff that they use to anchor the tendon to the bone.

Completely agree. I am 100% guilty of ego lifting, but as I've aged and learned hard lessons your approach is one I take as well. In addition to limiting amount of weight increments I've also found a lot of success with paying attention to speed. Regardless of lift, if I can't drive it with good consistent speed (even with time under tension) the speed has to be consistent - when it slows down, rack that shit.

This is what I do, works for me so far.

If I can 3 sets of 10 (same weight or weights) for instance, I try and duplicate it next workout just to make sure I wasn’t a fluke, me having a good day. Then I try to do it again next workout just to be doubly sure, it should be ‘easy’ this go around.

Then I increase the weight. This is my way of putting a ‘govener’ on too rapid weight increase. And then it is small increase, <10%.

I remember when I was on escalating doses of testosterone for TRT (sure 😏) my strength increases were through the roof, almost freaky as I purposefully did not train anymore or any harder, the strength just showed up. And I had a lifetime of training to compare it to. So I can see, to my small mind, how injuries can occur as a result of to fast or too frequent weight increases, injuries not due to the testosterone compound itself.

At least that is my hypothesis.

Then again, you have the one off situation like Hawkmoon or my friend who detached his achelles tendon getting out of a chair.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws