YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is it possible to have decent legs w/o doing squats regularly?

There is something ‘special’ for me about bb squats though. My legs never looked/grew the same without them. I can get in a mechanically great position to target quads.

That being said, if you can do that with other exercises they can be great as well.

I havent done them in a while and I can tell unfortunately.
I feel you on this. I’ve got ptsd after last partial quad tear going heavy on squats. I’ve basically done about 10 leg workouts since 2017, and it shows. I’ll be attempting safety or front squats today, see if I can try to mentally get myself in it. Great thread, by the way!

1678628341653.jpeg

The Transformer bar is fantastic… I was apprehensive too in dropping $800 on a barbell… It was very worth it.

However, if money is an issue just a plain Ol Safety squat bar will do. You just don’t have all the variations that the Transformer bar offers. But it’ll get the job done. Yes, it alleviates the typical pains you experience with the traditional barbell.

With the belt squat; I’ve tried the landmine attachment but just didn’t feel I could get a significant burn. With the Sorinex model J*Squat, it definitely sets your quads on fire. Especially going nice and slow! I picked up two Rogue ballistic blocks. Then stand on em while doing the movement for extra range of motion.

Anutha quad burner for me is doing trap bar deadlifts. Sets my quads on FIRE!!!!! So don’t ignore those at all!!!

Cage
I'm looking at the j*squat, you fab'd your own attachment? Their website is a little confusing as to the attachment options. There's pics but i don't see it explained. I do have a full cage i could attach it too.
It looks like it'd be comparable to a landmine belt squat if the belt attached at the end of the barbell. The pics I've looked at of landmine set-ups show the belt attach between the plates and the landmine hinge (rather than the end of the bar) do you think that is the difference in the mechanics that make the j*squat better in your experience?
I have some sorinex equipment, really good quality stuff, I'd say at least as good as rogue, although i do love my ohio bar

Absolutely , personally I think you tax your leg directly better with leg press than you can with squats.
Scott Stevenson comment on this a while back (don't remember where) about how squats fatigue your central nervous system and cardiovascular system before you can maximal fatigue your legs.
^^ this^^ sure a widowmaker squat looks impressive, but it zaps the CNS, cardio, and lower back. But do it to 30 reps on a leg press and you're probably going to build better legs.

Quick primer, 42 y/o been lifting since i was 16 or 17. I never understood why people tend to hate leg day, i loved leg day, for years i would be excited abt it. Generally kept it really simple too, core of the workout was heavy squats, walking lunges and deads (i know some advocate deads on back day). For a long time i had some pretty well developed legs.
However, the last several years i have really been struggling with issues with my low back (and my right knee, but its my back that fucks me). I have to be careful even putting socks on coz i can throw my back out doing that.
I just can't consistently do squats anymore. I even did like a "total reset" where i just did lower weight squats for higher volume being super strict on form (and a real, deep squat) thinking this might strengthen whatever the fuck goes out in my back, worked my way back up but it didn't help. I can have a day feeling totally good/strong, do a good amount of warm-ups and be several sets in, feeling good, and bam! My back goes.
I added a leg press to my home gym but it just pales in comparison to squats. I can do 500lbs presses 10 sets of 20 reps and it doesn't seem to do anything compared to like 4-5 sets of squats w 315lbs for 10-12 reps.
I can still do walking lunges but deads are generally out of my rotation for same reason as squats.
Anyone able to build decent wheels w/o squats?
Sorry for the long post, didn't want to just pose my question then people be like "bitch do squats"

*most of my 45s are bumper plates so 500lbs is the most i can put on the leg press unless i buy more metal plates

*and when i say my back goes out, i can barely walk, cant stand up straight, hurts like hell, total motherfucker
Can u do hacks or pendulum squats? Inverted leg press is very back supported but 500lbs is nothing on a leg press so maybe you hit the gym and do heavy leg presses at least twice a month, then after the heavies cool down a lil on extensions and then go back and do a drop set on the press that’s weight and blood volume without squatting.

I'm looking at the j*squat, you fab'd your own attachment? Their website is a little confusing as to the attachment options. There's pics but i don't see it explained. I do have a full cage i could attach it too.
It looks like it'd be comparable to a landmine belt squat if the belt attached at the end of the barbell. The pics I've looked at of landmine set-ups show the belt attach between the plates and the landmine hinge (rather than the end of the bar) do you think that is the difference in the mechanics that make the j*squat better in your experience?
I have some sorinex equipment, really good quality stuff, I'd say at least as good as rogue, although i do love my ohio bar
You need 3” square tube cage in order to accommodate the Sorinex attachment. They have options to pin it to the leg of the cage, or a separate bridge along a an empty wall. Or using their adjustable apparatus they sell.

I’m just cheap and didn’t wanna un-ass the $800. I’ll attach my lil build. Definitely saved some coin.

Cage

it is an inconspicuous but really great machine, especially for a home gym - no knee pain and it works perfectly on quads
Looks like Powertec’s compact hack squat… Is that what’s shown in the video? If so I can vouch for this being a smooth operating machine.

I had one for years. It came with rubber coated trolley wheels to slide up and down on. But they quickly started falling apart with heavier weight. They corrected this issue with solid Teflon rollers. Never had an issue after that. I do miss this lil machine.

Cage

Rather than attempting to regress to the "next biggest/heaviest/most stressful thing", imo a better approach in these scenarios is always start at the bottom and work your way back up if you want/can/need to.

E.G. rather than fighting to make a barbell squat variation work, or trying to find a hack/pendulum that works, or a leg press that works, etc. Regress to the start.

Focus on the absolute least-stressful things, IMO that means getting all of your quad work from Leg Extensions, Single-Leg work, and Sled work if you have access to one. Get some progress in, give your body a chance to stop feeling beat up all the time, etc.

If you then feel the need to try dabbling in more stressful stuff later, fine, but you may very well find you realize there's no point.

The mentality of always trying to get as close to barbell squats/deadlifts/bench press/etc. as possible often does more harm than good and leaves guys spinning their wheels/making things worse for years, from my experience.

There is no such thing as a " have to do" movement.. if your not built for squats don't do them.. its not imperative.. find what feel the best to your structure and biomechanics.. personally my legs looked their best when I did one legged leg press ( alternated with Bulgarian squat every other workout) one legged leg extensions, inner thigh machine .. hams were Romanian db deads and standing leg curl..
I was built to squat and it was very comfortable for me to go into a full butt position.. my legs did grow from squatting .. but I always felt it a bit more in my glutes.. so I dropped them and never looked bad..

Can u do hacks or pendulum squats? Inverted leg press is very back supported but 500lbs is nothing on a leg press so maybe you hit the gym and do heavy leg presses at least twice a month, then after the heavies cool down a lil on extensions and then go back and do a drop set on the press that’s weight and blood volume without squatting.
Yeah i can do those but hacks tend to bother my knee more than other movements. My knee talks to me on any leg move there's just some that are worse. And yeah, the 500 lbs isn't enough which is why I've been kind of stuck doing so much volume. I do have a 24h membership ($100/yr) even though i have my home gym. I could definitely hit a few days a month there to really up the weight. I go a few times now just for the row of Hammer strength back machines that i love. I'm really stoked to try the belt squat

Man, i had a sled, loved doing that. During the pandemic though i gave it to a guy at work. This dude ran track in college and his HS son is on the same path but per dad the son is even faster. Their gym closed during the pandemic and he specifically mentioned he was bummed abt his son not being able to do sled work so away my sled went.
Prior to owning the sled i used to just take turns w my lifting partner pushing one of our cars across the parking lot back and forth haha

LATS- i always have done leg extensions iso but never consistently did that with leg press, that would immediately make the weights i have at home a lot more effective, I'll incorporate that some too.

I do genuinely miss doing heavy squats and deads though and sounds dumb but its hard and depressing to let it go (i mean shit, it already went haha but anyway) the ultimate goal with bodybuilding is of course the aesthetic affect but as far as moving weight I've never found anything as gratifying as coming up from a deep squat and the bar kind of bounces up and down on each end or when you start a heavy deadlift and have to pull the "slack" out of the barbell before the plates will lift off of the floor. Genuinely though, getting all this insight from you guys is making me feel a hell of a lot better abt it and giving me a more optimistic approach to building my legs back up. I honestly thought everyone that was serious did squats, have been a puss abt bringing this up

Yeah i can do those but hacks tend to bother my knee more than other movements. My knee talks to me on any leg move there's just some that are worse. And yeah, the 500 lbs isn't enough which is why I've been kind of stuck doing so much volume. I do have a 24h membership ($100/yr) even though i have my home gym. I could definitely hit a few days a month there to really up the weight. I go a few times now just for the row of Hammer strength back machines that i love. I'm really stoked to try the belt squat
Belt squat is cool it’s not my gig but a lot love it so it works but man while you’re there blast that leg press fuck if you only go a few days a month do it every time and some single leg presses too

Damn! What’s your go to movement for quads? Your teardrops are OUTRAGEOUS!🤯
There isn't one, I vary my leg workouts weekly now. Belt squats, V- squat, leg press, vertical leg press, pendulum squats, walking lunges, hammer strength single leg press, sissy squats, I vary the exercises constantly.

During a prep in 2019 I squatted maybe 3 times the entire prep, I did however use the spin bike a lot for cardio which gave me massive leg pumps
Pic is post cardio (spin bike), fist thing in the morning on Mt stomach and still got a painful pump.View attachment 172326
Damn dude, you outta work you legs now and again.

Seriously though b-boy those are some damn aesthetically pleasing legs! your shape is better, imo, than many of the big names today. Looks like your calves are legit too

So i pulled the trigger on a cheap belt squat attachment so i can test it out. If it goes well I'll upgrade to the sorinex unit if this cheap one sucks

20200622_104621.jpg
I really labored over posting a pic or not (esp after bboy dropped the mic w pro legs) because i am genuinely embarrassed and so down on my legs but this is where they're at presently. This pic was just after waking up in the AM and getting dressed, no pump or anything. The public shaming I'm feeling is gonna add to my motivation to rebuild my legs. I'll post a pic in a few months to hopefully show some progress w what you guys have shared w me

Oh, and i am 6'4" so my legs are probably longer than a lot of y'alls. I still used to have pretty good size packed on them and am determined to do so again

You also have well developed tear drops! @bg65

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc