over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Manic Depression

jsr2188

Registered
I have manic depression. I have it under control most of the year with medicine and exercise. I noticed that every year around october it triggers somehow, I was told it was from the change in the time that it gets dark out. It sometimes lasts 2 months. Anyways, the last 2 weeks I have been very very depressed but have gone 4 days without sleep, one day with sleep, 4 days without sleep, in that type of pattern. And I have a lot of energy so I'm running around a lot. But since I'm so depressed i have no motivation to workout. And with this lack of sleep, I only eat once a day, if that, sometimes I don't eat at all in a day. So, I swear that I could see myself shrinking before my eyes. I lost 8 pounds of muscle. My shoulders and arms shrunk they look much smaller. This has been going on for 2 weeks now and I think it stopped, now I can sleep and eat. I worked out today and went down 20 pounds on the bench. My question is, with proper diet and rest, will I get back up to my normal strength and size quickely with muscle memory or something? I don't want it to take months.

Yes it will come back and 20lbs off the bench is not that bad. That can happen to anyone on a day they didnt eat as much or were tired,etc...in your case you didnt eat/sleep proper for 2weeks so only 20lbs is nothing.

wow that's the type of response i was looking for now i'm not as discouraged. another thing that sucks is, dont ask me how it happened, but some idiot ran my hand over with their car about a week and a half ago. luckily it didn't break but it's all stiff and cramped so that doesn't help my performance either. so it will come back quick huh? that makes me feel much better.

i agree 20 lbs is nothing. give it a few workouts you will get it back. got to give that hand some time to heal as well.

do you think i shrank as much as i think i did in just 10 days or do you think it's just in all in my head? plus, when working out 5 days a week your muscles are swelled up with blood right so maybe the fact that i went 10 days and my mucles aren't filled with blood just makes me appear smaller

do you think i shrank as much as i think i did in just 10 days or do you think it's just in all in my head? plus, when working out 5 days a week your muscles are swelled up with blood right so maybe the fact that i went 10 days and my mucles aren't filled with blood just makes me appear smaller

Its much harder than people think to lose muscle. Most of what you lost was probably water. Whenever you get in these bouts, just drink protien shakes all day b/c they are easier to eat.

yeah that's what it is it's seasonal depression with manic depression it sucks. Happens every year, I really thought this year I was gonna be able to prevent it but I guess not. But i was surprized at how much smaller i got or how much smaller i "think" i got it might just be in my head or something and yeah a lot of it probably was water

I have manic depression. I have it under control most of the year with medicine and exercise. I noticed that every year around october it triggers somehow, I was told it was from the change in the time that it gets dark out. It sometimes lasts 2 months. Anyways, the last 2 weeks I have been very very depressed but have gone 4 days without sleep, one day with sleep, 4 days without sleep, in that type of pattern. And I have a lot of energy so I'm running around a lot. But since I'm so depressed i have no motivation to workout. And with this lack of sleep, I only eat once a day, if that, sometimes I don't eat at all in a day. So, I swear that I could see myself shrinking before my eyes. I lost 8 pounds of muscle. My shoulders and arms shrunk they look much smaller. This has been going on for 2 weeks now and I think it stopped, now I can sleep and eat. I worked out today and went down 20 pounds on the bench. My question is, with proper diet and rest, will I get back up to my normal strength and size quickely with muscle memory or something? I don't want it to take months.

Have your testosterone levels checked. Low levels can cause depression in men.

i think flex has something with tanning it really helps me when i am down.

You need to see your doctor and let him know what you are saying here, exactly how you are saying it. I don't understand why (and I'm not ragging on you bro) so many people post the precise question that would make perfect sense to a doctor. What you're describing is extremely common and you're not going to be telling him or her anything he hasn't heard many, many times.

So describe this to your doctor and in the meantime, try some ultraviolet therapy with a tanning bed. You can do this yourself. Try to get there when the sun is setting or has already set (but not in the middle of the night). Here in the summers, it gets dark around 8:30 - 9 so I try to tan in the winter between 7 and 9. It's not something you even need every day and you don't need to set the bed on high power. 20 minutes of lower intensity is better than 10 minutes of high. Make sure when you do try to sleep, that the room is very dark (no TV, etc.).

Perhaps also try to eat foods high in real vitamin D (like eggs, or salmon) and/or take a good supplement.

Again though, see your doc.

As far as meds go, what are you taking?

Ask your doc about cymbalta, it has been a God-send for me! I've been through all kinds of crap, and nothing has worked as well.

You need to see your doctor and let him know what you are saying here, exactly how you are saying it. I don't understand why (and I'm not ragging on you bro) so many people post the precise question that would make perfect sense to a doctor. What you're describing is extremely common and you're not going to be telling him or her anything he hasn't heard many, many times.... So describe this to your doctor and in the meantime, try some ultraviolet therapy with a tanning bed. Perhaps also try to eat foods high in real vitamin D (like eggs, or salmon) and/or take a good supplement. Again though, see your doc.

I'm glad someone FINALLY chimed in with some REAL advice! You should DEFINITELY plan a visit with a physician who is experienced in Psycho Therapy.

Alin made another good point; IF you have low testosterone, a simple HRT program will do you wonders, However, DO NOT just start using AAS (as someone else suggested) because if your depression is NOT a result from lowered endogenous Test, your depression will be ten fold when you discontinue use. Let a qualified physician make that assessment based on your blood (hormone) profile.

JD~

Last edited:
I'm glad someone FINALLY chimed in with some REAL advice! You should DEFINITELY plan a visit with a physician who is experienced in Psycho Therapy.
Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't ask how to manage his manic depression, he wanted to know how long it would take to get back the physique. He also says he is on medication so it's extremely unlikely that he has diagnosed himself - he is seeing a doc already.

A manic depressive is likely on antipsychotics, not just antidepressants. Although therapy may help the main treatment is drugs. And usually for life.

Again, he asked about the physique aspect, something the doc would downplay as not that important.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't ask how to manage his manic depression, he wanted to know how long it would take to get back the physique. He also says he is on medication so it's extremely unlikely that he has diagnosed himself - he is seeing a doc already.

A manic depressive is likely on antipsychotics, not just antidepressants. Although therapy may help the main treatment is drugs. And usually for life.

Again, he asked about the physique aspect, something the doc would downplay as not that important.
So are you throwing a flag on the play because we gave him unsolicited advice?

Last edited:
So are you throwing a flag on the play because we gave him unsolicited advice?
No, just felt that perhaps his question was misunderstood:
My question is, with proper diet and rest, will I get back up to my normal strength and size quickely with muscle memory or something? I don't want it to take months.

I do agree that he should see his doc if he is manic or depressed since only his doc can properly evaluate his psychological state. The regaining of the lost pounds aspect is something people here might help with. I wonder what the doc would say if he asked how long it would take to put the 20lbs back on the bench :)

Last edited:
No, just felt that perhaps his question was misunderstood:

I do agree that he should see his doc if he is manic or depressed since only his doc can properly evaluate his psychological state. The regaining of the lost pounds aspect is something people here might help with. I wonder what the doc would say if he asked how long it would take to put the 20lbs back on the bench :)
He's probably say, "What kind of bench? Like a park bench?"

You're right. That's my fault really, when I read his post, I just couldn't help thinking that getting to the root of the problem, solving that, would be more important than getting back some lost muscle. Going for days on end without sleep in certainly signs of a manic phase which would make one consider how effective his current treatment is (at least it would make me consider).

And it's certainly not healthy. I wish to see everyone as healthy as they can possibly be. Except Kaiser. He'll always be a sick bastid.

Who in this thread has personally delt with being bi-polar (manic depressive) other than myself and jsr!?!?!

Who in this thread has personally delt with being bi-polar (manic depressive) other than myself and jsr!?!?!
What does it matter? Is it your intention to imply that you have to be manic to recognize mania?

What does it matter? Is it your intention to imply that you have to be manic to recognize mania?

No, but to truly understand it, ABSOFKNLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! Even then it's debateable, the only time I truly understand it is when i'm at the worst. Thank God i haven't had to truly understand for quite some time, almost 2 years now, i mean i still deal with it daily, but nothing compared to when it is bad. I thank you for what you do bro!

And it's not just manic, it's manic-depressive, hence bi-polar.

I do respect your opinion on the matter though bro, but there was other respones from a couple other folks that really struck a nerve, and was really curious if they know shit from shinola on the subject...

Have you considered going to your doctor/psych to temporarily increase/change your med(s) to balance you out during this time? Maybe get something to sleep? Lack of sleep + bi-polar is a BAD combination. Research trazadone. Helped me tremendously in a similar situation.

Oops sorry , didn't see your post..lol

Sorry to hear you deal with this also bro, how early in life did you start taking care of it. I was pretty lucky as i caught it at about 20 and have learned to deal with it quite well now, through medicine, and things i did before i was diagnosed without even knowing it to try and "be normal" such as bodybuilding, music, prayer, supportive freinds and family, ect... I hope you are doing well.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws