over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Modern Bodybuilding and Health

When I refer to 20 rep squats I am talking about the old time method of breathing squats. Pick a weight that you can do ten reps with and do 20. Sounds goofy but after bout the ten reps mark you stand there and take deep breathes and do another rep. You continue this till you get as close to 20 as you can. This type of training and I have done this, IMO is not good for the heart in the long run.

that is exactly what I was doing when I had my arrythmia and passed out. I got to about 22 reps with the weight on my squats and then managed to go to 30 by using the method you describe. Really hard on the heart, as my near death testifies.

Good point, even though all I do at this point is walk a lot my resting HR is aroun 68. At this point in my life I am more concerned with EJ and blockages.

Yeah. If you have cardiomyopathy your resting heart rate is going to be elevated. Mine was about 100-110 BPM lying down when i was diagnosed.

Yeah. If you have cardiomyopathy your resting heart rate is going to be elevated. Mine was about 100-110 BPM lying down when i was diagnosed.

Yeah thats my resting heart rate to...in teh lower 100-110 BPM ...

Yeah thats my resting heart rate to...in teh lower 100-110 BPM ...

Yep, to me thats the main thing that should tip you off that youre in trouble. Ive been preaching that for 2 years now. Ive had a number of guys PM me on here that have the symptom and they sought out help or just got off the juice.

thanks for the replies.

resting is around 65.

it was 56 the other day whilst sat watching tv.

i have done the 20 rep all out ball buster sets like you describe.

may have to re think and stick with a lower range. probably the same with high ish rep deads

There are many guys with huge thighs who just do squats in the normal 8 to 10 reps range. When I refer to 20 rep squats I am talking about the old time method of breathing squats. Pick a weight that you can do ten reps with and do 20. Sounds goofy but after bout the ten reps mark you stand there and take deep breathes and do another rep. You continue this till you get as close to 20 as you can. This type of training and I have done this, IMO is not good for the heart in the long run.

When I used to do cardio my HR was around 120 and I too felt like I could easily hold a conversation and was not out of breath. I'm mainly talking about people who are doing 90% max HR or higher on a daily basis for years on end. It's this kind of stuff and again IMO that is wearing one's heart out.

I don't understand the logic behind this, what about things like HIT cardio then, I would think that this would improve your heart's health. Personally i think it's the lack of cardio conditioning that is partly the problem, only doing low intensity cardio isn't good imho.

thanks for the replies.

resting is around 65.

may have to re think and stick with a lower range. probably the same with high ish rep deads

well, your heart sounds healthy from that report! Excellent resting HR.

thanks for the replies.

resting is around 65.

thats not too bad

I don't understand the logic behind this, what about things like HIT cardio then, I would think that this would improve your heart's health. Personally i think it's the lack of cardio conditioning that is partly the problem, only doing low intensity cardio isn't good imho.

So why in your opinion does lack of cadio make you unhealthy?

So why in your opinion does lack of cadio make you unhealthy?

Not necessarily unhealthy, but I do believe that cardio, specifically HIT will strengthen your heart so it does not have to work as hard at rest. I'm thinking lower blood pressure, lower resting heartrate, higher V02 max.

Not necessarily unhealthy, but I do believe that cardio, specifically HIT will strengthen your heart so it does not have to work as hard at rest. I'm thinking lower blood pressure, lower resting heartrate, higher V02 max.

I think the better route would be to find out why one would be having these problems in the first place instead of trying to fix them by running their life away. Remember, there would be no need to strengthen the heart if it is healthy in the first place.

I think the better route would be to find out why one would be having these problems in the first place instead of trying to fix them by running their life away. Remember, there would be no need to strengthen the heart if it is healthy in the first place.

I think that the heart is like any other muscle in the body in that it can be overtrained!!! You wouldnt go in and do heavy squats all out intensity for 5 days in a row would you? Of course the heart has much more endurance than skeletal muscle, its cardiac muscle and has a different design, but I do think it could be overtrained. I think most endurance athletes use periodization too, and have a detraining phase to give the heart time to recupe and heal up.

I think that the heart is like any other muscle in the body in that it can be overtrained!!! You wouldnt go in and do heavy squats all out intensity for 5 days in a row would you? Of course the heart has much more endurance than skeletal muscle, its cardiac muscle and has a different design, but I do think it could be overtrained. I think most endurance athletes use periodization too, and have a detraining phase to give the heart time to recupe and heal up.

Yeah but the question is.. is the heart recovering after 5 days or 10 after such extreme training such as 20 rep squats or is it possible that people are doing micro damage for lack of a better term to the heart over years of this type of training? If the latter is true then there is no recovering as each time this is done you are placing more stress on the heart and causing permanent damage which may not show up till later on in life.

Yeah but the question is.. is the heart recovering after 5 days or 10 after such extreme training such as 20 rep squats or is it possible that people are doing micro damage for lack of a better term to the heart over years of this type of training? If the latter is true then there is no recovering as each time this is done you are placing more stress on the heart and causing permanent damage which may not show up till later on in life.

This could be very true! There really isnt a way to know if the heart is getting damaged and if its healing all the way. I dont think ive heard too much about endurance athletes having heart problems nearly as much as weight lifters. I think the weight lifting is dangerous mostly because of the high blood pressure you develop druing the lift that puts such tremendous strain on the heart at that time. I think thats why I had my heart attack when squating. Even today after my heart attack I can say that squats put more stress on my heart than any other movement. I have to rest longer inbetween sets of squats or my heart rate wont recover. I know that the kind of hypertrophy seen from weight lifintg is differen than that of endurance training. I cannot remember the difference offhand, but the changes seen from endurance training are accepted as being more benign than that from lifting weights.

i posted this before but, i had a pretty well respected cardiologist tell me that the theories are changing.. many believe that you only have so much use in the heart.. stressing it to elevated heart rates for prolonged periods of time use up "the so much use".. i think we will see these endurance athletes in the coming decades passing at a earlier age then we would have thought..

dont get me wrong.. the heart is a muscle.. it can be strengthened in my opinion.. but like anything prolonged stress will damage it.. in my opinion..

I think a person that wants to be really lean would be better off in the long run staying lean by manipulating their diet instead of trying to melt it off with hours and hours of cardio.

SEOs and heart health - any comment on that Magnum?

That guy Mike who mods Mayhem and now works for MD always blamed SEO for many of the heart issues seen. Any link you can see?

So in that case would ANY oil based injectable create some heart issue?

Thats a good question. WHy would SEO be anything different than the rest of the crap we inject?

I dont find any of them redundant. It actually makes us look like we think we are above all the harm and misfortune instead of reading them and taking them to heart.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear