over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Car audio installer question?

BOOMSHAKER

Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Does anyone here install car audio systems with dvd player. (in dash board)

I was at the car store today and the sales guy told me "you do know the dvd player will only play when your foot is on the break right"? And I said REALLY??? He said yes, BUT there is a way around it BUUUUUT didn't know how. But he said it's a pretty easy thing to do. Does anyone know what or how it was he was talking about?

I am not speaking of the over head dvd players. I'm referring to the one that's in your dash board built into your radio system.

I used to install back in the day and Im not up to date on the latest stuff, but I think he was pulling your chain.

There would have to be a "system" installed inline with the pedal to kill power to the unit, or some software within the head unit to pause the DVD only. Neither of which would make sense to me to do unless of course there's some safety concern someone's pushing. Suppose it was just a CD playing? Would it know the difference?

Maybe Im wrong...but I don't see it. If Im wrong, I'd like to hear why they're wiring shit like this..

I installed one dash mounted and one like you mentioned and neither did what he sid. BUT then again maybe with new laws about texting while driving etc they made that happen, cant say I blame them because shit I use to watch shit as driving and think this is insane...

I am an MECP certified installer.

In-Dash Mobile Video Units have a parking break wire that has to be connected to the vehicles parking break wire.

For most units, if this wire is grounded (activated) the unit will play. For some units (namely Alpines) software inside the units makes it where everytime the car is turned on and off, the cycle resets; so, some type of switch would need to be put in-line to mimic pushing the parking break every time you turned on the car.

Furthermore, some units require more advanced bypassing and/or re-pinning of the harness to watch video while driving.

In the end, you shouldn't watch movies while driving. It is dangerous, and sooner or later you will hurt someone. Regardless, you're an adult, and you can do as you please.

I installed one dash mounted and one like you mentioned and neither did what he sid. BUT then again maybe with new laws about texting while driving etc they made that happen, cant say I blame them because shit I use to watch shit as driving and think this is insane...

Man thats nuts. My ex texts and drives and she is already a horrible driver. I mean full out texts with the keyboard while changing lanes at 80 and already in poor control of the car. It is just so self focused and self important to think you have the right to put other peoples lives in danger and that your needs can't wait a couple minutes... Sorry it was just one of many things about her that drove me nuts.

Boom, that's bullshit. I've had 2 different dvd/tv's (in dash) and they played dvd's while I was driving. It's illegal to play movies and such when driving (distraction) but nothing had to be done to mine to get them to play.

I am an MECP certified installer.

In-Dash Mobile Video Units have a parking break wire that has to be connected to the vehicles parking break wire.

For most units, if this wire is grounded (activated) the unit will play. For some units (namely Alpines) software inside the units makes it where everytime the car is turned on and off, the cycle resets; so, some type of switch would need to be put in-line to mimic pushing the parking break every time you turned on the car.

Furthermore, some units require more advanced bypassing and/or re-pinning of the harness to watch video while driving.

In the end, you shouldn't watch movies while driving. It is dangerous, and sooner or later you will hurt someone. Regardless, you're an adult, and you can do as you please.

Also, I only speak for name brand in-dash mobile video system. The off-brands may or may not have these safety features.

most of them just have a wire you put on ground and it always can play dvds.... i think its cool to play dvds while driving for the passenger... or play music vids...

some of them you have to ground after you start the car... you need a module for this

I've had Kenwood both times. There prob are ways around it, but I never asked the installer to do anything so who knows

When the salesman told me that, he was dead serious. So I don't believe it was a BS story. I think the new technology as some of you suggested does have this feature built in to the break pedal. Maybe some type of "kill switch" or something. I do believe it has something to do with the textings laws or something? It's not that important to me to watch a dvd while driving. It was just something the salesman said that made me go "HUH"?? The reason why I like this model in dash multi media player is because it folds up and tucks away in itself. ( i love toys) LOL

For some of you guys who like to investigate stuff, it's the Jensen in-dash MultiMedia System 7" touch screen. PC Richards has it on sale, with free installation. So you can't beat that!

Last edited:
I used to install back in the day and Im not up to date on the latest stuff, but I think he was pulling your chain.

There would have to be a "system" installed inline with the pedal to kill power to the unit, or some software within the head unit to pause the DVD only. Neither of which would make sense to me to do unless of course there's some safety concern someone's pushing. Suppose it was just a CD playing? Would it know the difference?

Maybe Im wrong...but I don't see it. If Im wrong, I'd like to hear why they're wiring shit like this..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.. there should be a simple cable to ground it to metal instead of the parking brake cable.. really simple to do.. you can even youtube it if u want.. haha good luck tho bro..

Yes he is correct, they are wired so that the emergency brake has to be in use for the DVD to play. No movies are allowed to play while the car is driving. There are however, easy programs you can download, or easy ways when installing the unit to re-wire them so the emergency brake does not have to be on to activate them.

In my girl's Lexus, she has navigation and DVD from the factory. We took it to a local shop and he spliced something and now I can watch DVDs while driving.

Does anyone here install car audio systems with dvd player. (in dash board)

I was at the car store today and the sales guy told me "you do know the dvd player will only play when your foot is on the break right"? And I said REALLY??? He said yes, BUT there is a way around it BUUUUUT didn't know how. But he said it's a pretty easy thing to do. Does anyone know what or how it was he was talking about?

I am not speaking of the over head dvd players. I'm referring to the one that's in your dash board built into your radio system.
That is why this guy does not have a job installing them in anything let alone cars......HAHHAHAHAHAHA that is a load of bullshit. I do all my own installs and was installing sat phones for the telephone company in thier vehicles. it is easy as long as you are preparred to remove things from your car to make the install easier. It is much easier to work with things taken out of the dash instead of trying to squeeze shit around them. Just be patient and devote a good afternoon of your time for it. Have a good look at what needs to come out and remove it first. Most of it is only a few screws here and there. Just use most of the wiring from your old unit and you will be fine. Just watch out you don't hook up to the ABS, you will come to sudden stops when you change tracks........HAHAHAHAHAHA Only kidding!

Man this stuff has come along way. I installed steroes when I was in college for extra money. I had a stationwagon I loaded up with 2 12's, a pair of 16's (Kicker), all JBL audio midrange - Sony XEC 1000 electronic crossover, HiFonics amp driving the subs (Atlas), and HiFonic amps driving all the rest (Hercules). I hit 138 DB, which wasn't to bad...hahahahaha - the good ole days..

JM

If that was the case, I would have never bought a dvd player for my car lol.. I've never heard of that as well, and I am pretty big into car audio myself.

If that was the case, I would have never bought a dvd player for my car lol.. I've never heard of that as well, and I am pretty big into car audio myself.

True, but remember I am speaking of the in-dash one. Not the one that goes over or in back of your head. The ones built into the head rests are fine to watch as well. Just the in-dash board ones.

What difference does it make? Just find the trigger and give it, "ground" or power depending on what it wants. In my experience the, "triggers" would want ground.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I don't think my logic is off.

I'm also a Certified installer

DOHC is correct I believe Pioneer is the first name brand that did this. The parking brake wire.

The cheaper brands like Dual, Power Acustic, Boss, panasonic older models, etc don't have these. Could be wrong.

DOHC is correct I believe Pioneer is the first name brand that did this. The parking brake wire.

The cheaper brands like Dual, Power Acustic, Boss, panasonic older models, etc don't have these. Could be wrong.

Everything that I have "yahoo'd or googled" has lead me to this same conclusion.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131