over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Growing into a show

tri-terror

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know a lot of people on here believe you can grow some while dropping bodyfat. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any specifics on the diet aspect of that?
Right now I'm doing targeted keto with a weekly refeed. It's been working pretty well, I haven't lost any size(by measurement anyway), except in my waist, but I haven't gotten bigger anywhere either. My maintenance cals are around 4K, I've been eating around 2500 cals per day on the keto except the refeed on Saturdays. Doing cardio after weight training four days per week, 45 min. on eliptical and two extra cardio sessions either in the AM before work or in the evening after work.

I'm training for a show the first weekend in Nov. I would like to bring up my chest thickness, mostly inner pecs, and my biceps some. I've got a 18.5" flexed bi now, but my arm is mostly triceps.

Any tips would be appreciated!

eat more cals than you are burning with higher carbs for 3-4 days then switch to low carb bellow maint for 2 or 3 days

Most people that grow into shows are guys that stay off the juice all the time and only take it when they start getting ready for a show. A guy that has been on a heavy bulking off season cycle is not going to grow when he starts dropping calories to get ready for a show.

Well I wouldn't say that I had a "heavy" offseason cycle. It was actually my first, 400mg Test c everyweek for ten weeks. I was off on PCT for six weeks, decided I was going to do this show and now I'm on 750mg sust, and 400mg EQ. Going to switch to prop and masteron at 6-8 weeks out.

Phil, I've seen you say this before, anything you can offer me in the open? General stuff?

If you stay leaner in the off season, there is no reason you shouldn't add even a little muscle while dieting. If you think about it, everything is on point. Diet, cardio, rest, ect. It's the reason why guys such dramatic results when they are getting ready to step on stage. If more guys approached their off season this way, they would be making huge gains as well. Shelby comes to mind. But back to what you were asking, the key is to stay leaner so you are not having to do such drastic stuff to get into shape. With that said, even being leaner dieting for 16-18 weeks is optimal in my opinion so you can come down slowly and not burn up muscle. Just my thoughts.

I want all of my guys adding muscle up to a show.........and they all do.....its the best way

and is this is one of the MANY reasons why im hiring phil in a day or two :). Wealth of knowledge this guy has, and I haven't even hired him yet.

Phil, I've seen you say this before, anything you can offer me in the open? General stuff?

Give your body what it wants when it wants it...figuring out what it wants is the tricky part...lol

Give your body what it wants when it wants it...figuring out what it wants is the tricky part...lol

LOL, trial and error I guess!

grow into a show after shrinking... yes... happens all the time.
grow new muscle while prepping for a contest?? i've never seen that happen, ever.

grow new muscle while prepping for a contest?? i've never seen that happen, ever.

Because of restricted calories??

I would just substitute "Wants" with "needs"...

My body "wants" a 12 pack of Bud and a whole rack of babyback ribs right now with a pound or two of ColeSlaw! But that fat bastard ain't gettin' it!!

I would just substitute "Wants" with "needs"...

My body "wants" a 12 pack of Bud and a whole rack of babyback ribs right now with a pound or two of ColeSlaw! But that fat bastard ain't gettin' it!!

HAHAHA THATS THE TRUTH

i disagree

i bet you have put on muscle while dieting B.:cool:
i think most people that do a prep will put on some muscle. unless its a nattie show. or if doing a keto diet then i think it is far far harder.

i DEFINITLEY put on muscle leading up to a show. but i don't really use much supplements during offseason and i eat a great macro ratio that seems to be perfect for my physique. thanks big phil;)
-JS

Yes

i bet you have put on muscle while dieting B.:cool:
i think most people that do a prep will put on some muscle. unless its a nattie show. or if doing a keto diet then i think it is far far harder.

i DEFINITLEY put on muscle leading up to a show. but i don't really use much supplements during offseason and i eat a great macro ratio that seems to be perfect for my physique. thanks big phil;)
-JS

You are welcome.......and you definitely grew into your show.......lets do it again.

FOR SURE!

You are welcome.......and you definitely grew into your show.......lets do it again.

yeah, lets do it! ready to get another win:)
i enjoyed my layoff and being "normal" for 2 whole months but after a while i gotta admit "normal" sucks:cool:
ready to look like a freak again
-JS

yeah, lets do it! ready to get another win:)
i enjoyed my layoff and being "normal" for 2 whole months but after a while i gotta admit "normal" sucks:cool:
ready to look like a freak again
-JS

Your normal is a freak to most of us. I saw a picture of you.:)

Johnny, you mentioned it'd be tuff to do for a natural. I think I've discussed this way back when w/ Phil at one point too... Do you think w/ a macro ratio that you know works for your body, as little cardio as possible, smart supplementation and dieting for a long period of time (slow and steady) it would be do-able? Maybe not grow new tissue but at the very least not eat away any that's there while getting down to 3-5% bodyfat?

yup.

Johnny, you mentioned it'd be tuff to do for a natural. I think I've discussed this way back when w/ Phil at one point too... Do you think w/ a macro ratio that you know works for your body, as little cardio as possible, smart supplementation and dieting for a long period of time (slow and steady) it would be do-able? Maybe not grow new tissue but at the very least not eat away any that's there while getting down to 3-5% bodyfat?
i think its possible. diet and TIME would be VERY important. i would not try to get lean "quickly" but take your time. -JS

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear