over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

6 Weeks Out from NA - Critiques Requested

ojs

Featured Member
Registered
I'm 6 weeks out from the North American Championships in Ohio if I decide to do it. I'm having a lot of trouble with my upper back flexibility in posing. And I'm still carrying a little more fat than I'd like on my back, glutes and legs in general.

I took these pictures last night. I'm open to any critiques. I'm 57 and pretty thick skinned. So you can't offend me.

Attachments

• July22-2010.jpg
    July22-2010.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 965
I have never competed, so I cant give you competition advice, but You look great! Im 28, and I would love to look like you! Keep up the awesome work, as it is paying off

You look really good, OJS.

I would tell you that the shadows in those pics hide your lats! lol.

Also, when you do your front lat spread make sure you aren't flexing your traps. When you engage your traps too much in the front lat spread, your lats aren't fully flexed.

To illustrate this- Do the most muscular pose- notice how the lats disappear when the traps come up?

You are probably aware of this already. I just think that you could flex them more effectively because your back is good when viewed from the rear.

I am being really picky due to the fact that I think you have an awesome physique and I think you have a chance to do well.

Most guys I would just say- "Good job".

However I am actually looking for things to critique because I think you are really good. :)

Great symmetry, lots of size, and good conditioning. I can't wait to see what you look like once you dry out and get up on stage.

Something looks a bit off on the front lat spread.... try arching the back a bit more (chest up!)

Also, when you do your front lat spread make sure you aren't flexing your traps. When you engage your traps too much in the front lat spread, your lats aren't fully flexed.

I would apply the same thing to your front relaxed. You look a bit hunched over and it's making you look more narrow and shallow in that pose. Try pulling your shoulders back a bit.

What's your diet look like?

6 weeks is enough time to get the rest of that fat off even at your advanced age;) Looks like some of it is just water though and that should go away pretty quick anyways.

Looking at the recent winners of some of the Masters class contests I say you are right up there and better than most of them, so I would definitely encourage you to do this upcoming show.

Good luck Bro and keep us posted.

JT, Norm & Shelby, I understand what both of you are saying. Essentially I need to arch my upper back a little and lift my ribcage at the sternum. But, hahaha, It's STUCK!!!

...any flexibility suggestions? I can't move my ribs up very much and can't straighten out my upper back. It's stuck.

And thanks Jello. Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate them.

Last edited:
JT & Shelby, I understand what both of you are saying. Essentially I need to arch my upper back a little and lift my ribcage at the sternum. But, hahaha, It's STUCK!!!

...any flexibility suggestions? I can't move my ribs up very much and can't straighten out my upper back. It's stuck.

I'm not being a smart ass with this, but have you tried Yoga?

1....up the cardio
2....increase volume on lower body
crazy reps
3....stiffy deads and hypers.....high reps
4....posing is not that bad
5....just get leaner

i think you look friggin awesome

:cool:

I have buddies with the same thing going on.

JT, Norm & Shelby, I understand what both of you are saying. Essentially I need to arch my upper back a little and lift my ribcage at the sternum. But, hahaha, It's STUCK!!!

You could try light pullovers for the flexibility aspect.

As I look at you and think about posing on that front lat spread this thought came to mind. Have you tried not flexing your abs when you do the front lat spread?

What I mean is- try to vacuum the stomach in on the front lat spread as you are busting ass attempting to arch and spread those lats. Let me know if that helps. :)

Very impressive! You're on the right track, so keep up the hard work. You've got some time to keep dialing it in. ::ction-sm

You look great! Right on target for 6 weeks. Wish you all the best!

amazing work , the older guys here that cary so much size and conditioning impress me more than some of the mass monsters.

great work

Your looking good.i hope im lifting at that age.

Good luck on the show.

Thanks everyone. I honestly appreciate the encouragement. But I especially appreciate that some of you have taken the to time to post honest critique. Honest criticism is invaluable.

You could try light pullovers for the flexibility aspect.

As I look at you and think about posing on that front lat spread this thought came to mind. Have you tried not flexing your abs when you do the front lat spread?

What I mean is- try to vacuum the stomach in on the front lat spread as you are busting ass attempting to arch and spread those lats. Let me know if that helps. :)

Light dumbbell stretch flyes, light pull-overs cross-ways over a bench, vacuums and bilateral stretching and contracting the shoulder blades together with heavy weight on the upper cables is the plan. I will be doing these 3x per week to try and help with my posing restrictions. Do you suppose having someone walk on my back would help? I'll try anything at this point.

Any other suggestions?

**if I've been sounding a bit insecure, it's because I would never want find myself on a national level stage looking like I didn't prepare. I wish one of you prep guys lived near me. Seeing someone in person you can see so much more than seeing someone through pictures.

Last edited:
OJS, From where I am sitting, you have what it takes. You look great. Just get even leaner. You have time to do that. I think you should make the decision to def do it and set your mind to win it. Your mindset will give you that edge and confidence to push even harder. 57? You look friggin' fantastic!

One quick final note. (Nevermind... JT and Shelby covered it)

Last edited:
Ojs, what can I say that hasn't been said. I was always impressed with you. Try to get leaner, lower back, glutes, hams need alot of reps. Bump up the cardio a little. You have a legitmate shot in that 50 class.

ojs,

mad respect bro looking amazing.

i too am no competitor (at least not in bb) but have you considered standing stiff arm lat pulldowns? I don't do them "stiff arm" per se, slightly bent elbow and a grip that is a bit wider than shoulder width, also trying to contract the lats during the movement and really visualizing them being the prime movers, spreading the lats as I go.

As to flexiblity, do you do much post workout stretching and have you considered foam rolling?

Again, you're looking amazing, congrats.

Oscar,

Go to my youtube channel and look at the exercise called "stretchers". It is a back exercise that stretches the hell out of your rotators and shoulder girdle. That is what I was telling you i was going to film for you. A few weeks of those and you won't believe how much more flexible you are.

actually here is a link
YouTube - stretchers.MPG

JM

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws