over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

skirt steak too tough

ironman5151

Registered
I've been eating skirt steak because its offered at my local sams and is low in fat....but its tough as hell. My jaw gets sore before I can even finish my meal....

anyone have a reciepe to make it tender a little or any suggestions?

Thanks

I've been eating skirt steak because its offered at my local sams and is low in fat....but its tough as hell. My jaw gets sore before I can even finish my meal....

Thanks
Croc pot it overnight. That will tenderize just about anything.

You could crock pot the skirt steak and turn it into more of a roast. You can brown the skirt steak first in a pan, then add some water, spices, and the meat to the crock pot. That's the only way I've found to make it tender.

Try a flat iron steak sometime. Grill it 7 minutes per side on high heat...tender as hell and it's a lower-fat beef.

Needs to be cooked for at least one hour and a half

WORLDSPAN

We've got a mexican market here in town that lays it out flat and cuts it across into thinner pieces then tenderises (sp)it.You can the grill it and slice against the grain and it is awsome.You canalso cut against grain into stips then cut into small pieces put it into skillet and cover with water simmer 45 mins to 1 hr and then crank up heat so water evaps.steak will start to crisp up after water evaps great for taco salad w right seasonings.

Croc pot it overnight. That will tenderize just about anything.

Thanks for input. I am getting the croc pot out tonight. I almost can't finish my meals due to my jaws getting so sore.

You could crock pot the skirt steak and turn it into more of a roast. You can brown the skirt steak first in a pan, then add some water, spices, and the meat to the crock pot. That's the only way I've found to make it tender.

Try a flat iron steak sometime. Grill it 7 minutes per side on high heat...tender as hell and it's a lower-fat beef.

sounds much better than what I have been doing. Thanks. My local Sams doesn't carry flat iron steak, but I bet the fresh market does. I will look into that as well because I gotta find something better.

Needs to be cooked for at least one hour and a half

WORLDSPAN

Wow, I have only been cooking it for 20 mins at max on the grill. I will definitly give this a shot. I would think the longer cook, the dryer it would be :confused:

We've got a mexican market here in town that lays it out flat and cuts it across into thinner pieces then tenderises (sp)it.You can the grill it and slice against the grain and it is awsome.You canalso cut against grain into stips then cut into small pieces put it into skillet and cover with water simmer 45 mins to 1 hr and then crank up heat so water evaps.steak will start to crisp up after water evaps great for taco salad w right seasonings.

Someone was telling me this at work. I havn't payed any attention at all to how I cut it lol but you can bet tomorrrow night when I cook more steak I will.

Thanks for all the input to help keep me on my diet

Thanks

You are probably getting mislabeled flank steak. Skirt steak is very high in fat-and very flavorful- as well as very tender. Flank steak loves to to marinated in a high acid marinade.Use equal parts olive oil and red wine vinegar with smashed garlic cloves salt pepper thyme wosterchire and dijon in a freezer bag overnite in the fridge-then grill on high heat. Make sure to slice the beef against the grain or the meat will be chewy no matter how long you marinate it. As the other posters mentioned the crock pot will work well too!

You are probably getting mislabeled flank steak. Skirt steak is very high in fat-and very flavorful- as well as very tender. Flank steak loves to to marinated in a high acid marinade.Use equal parts olive oil and red wine vinegar with smashed garlic cloves salt pepper thyme wosterchire and dijon in a freezer bag overnite in the fridge-then grill on high heat. Make sure to slice the beef against the grain or the meat will be chewy no matter how long you marinate it. As the other posters mentioned the crock pot will work well too!

yumm sounds tasty....thanks bro all I have been putting on my steak is a little dales for about 10 minutes then on the grill they go....your flavoring sounds way better

yumm sounds tasty....thanks bro all I have been putting on my steak is a little dales for about 10 minutes then on the grill they go....your flavoring sounds way better

Give it a try-let me know how it goes for you. I cook professionally so I can give your dozens of ideas if that doesnt float your boat!

Thanks

i love sams! i get the same meat from there and yea... it is like chewing on a rubber..
you have two options!

option1: next time you buy, have the meatdude to run it through the machine to punch holes n to stretch it out.
worx very well and less chewy but still getta workout on the jaw..

option2: i dont know wat is called.. but they sell it in asian supermkts.. its clear liquid oil looking n u poor like a shot of it into a pound of meat and rub it all over. leave it for 10mins. cookit. i swear u can buy the cheapest grade B beef and it will be tender as filet mignon. NO BS.

have u guys been to chinese restaurant and order mongolian beef for 5bux and wonder how da heck they buy sucha meat n make money?!?!?

its da meat softer juice! hahaha i dont have the name of it front of me. but i do have the bottle in my kitchen. ill take a picture n get a name for u.
its recession n meat isnt cheap! but still gotta eat meat! even if its cheap rubbery meat... :headbang:

Crockpot is an excellent choice and cooked it slowly for 2 hours at least. Also there are other ways as well, I would get a meat mallet and tenderise your meat and that makes it more tender. Hope that helps!

anytime I eat tougher cuts of meat I make sure its cut properly (against the grain) and marinate it for a hr or so with some Dale's and half a beer or soda , then if I can't cook it in a crock pot I beat the shit out of it with a meat tenerizer and cook it on high heat to just sear the outsides , I like my meat rare so cooking time will vary.

But most often unless I get a great dal on it I rather use lean ground meat

The general overall answer is with a tough piece of meat, to cook it SLOWLY on low heat.

Personally, I like to avoid adding water because that can actually make the meat drier and tougher.

I apologize if I missed this but did you mention how you cook it presently? I know this is rookie but if its on the grill do make sure the meat is room temp as you'll shock the muscle if its cold and then thrown on a hot grill. That will tighten it up immediately.

Flank and Skirt are 2 of my favorites. I normally have the butcher do 1 pass through the tenderizer. I marinade if sodium is not an issue. Then grill for 5-6 minutes each side (adjust time for the size/.thickness of the steak) at 500-550F. Let sit for 10 minutes and cut into thin strips.
Makes a great snack cold out of the fridge...

Flank and Skirt are 2 of my favorites. I normally have the butcher do 1 pass through the tenderizer. I marinade if sodium is not an issue. Then grill for 5-6 minutes each side (adjust time for the size/.thickness of the steak) at 500-550F. Let sit for 10 minutes and cut into thin strips.
Makes a great snack cold out of the fridge...

I didn't even know a butcher can do this...Also, before this thread I didn't even know they made something to hit the meat with that would make it more tender....I'm learning :headbang:

The only thing that will make a decent skirt steak tough is over cooking it. Seer each side and its done. Oh and yes, slice against the grain... it you are over cooking it and going with the grain that would combine to make a good steak chewy as hell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity