over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help me make my wheels grow

Essentially87

Newbies
Hey guys,
Well last week I was diagnosed with impingement syndrome in my left shoulder. I am following the stretches the doc gave me as well as doing Dante's towel/bar stretches 50X2 a day. I figured I would go ahead and take the other 5 weeks off the doc recommended and keep doing his and Dante's stretches. I am trying to really focus on my diet/cardio/leg training in the meantime. My current plan is to do legs 2x a week Monday and Thursday. I want to use this time to really build some tree trunks while I let my upper body rest. I am looking for some advice here because like most people I follow a lot of the old school approaches (eg Arnold) to training legs. Please critique/offer any advice.

Today
Squat 15 warmp up, 12,10,8,6 (pyramiding weights up)
Hack squat 12, 10, 8 , 6 superset lying leg curls 15,10,8,6
I can't do deads with my shoulder - any suggestions?
Leg press 12,10,8,6
Leg extensions - light weight 3 x 15

Standing calf raise 3 x 15
Seated calf raise 4 x 10
Donkey calf raise 3 x 15

I am guessing a lot of people are going to say fewer sets heavier weight. Just looking for some input here and what has worked for some of you guys in the past.

Thanks,
Ben

Today
Leg press 12,10,8,6

Seated calf raise 4 x 10
Donkey calf raise 3 x 15

I am guessing a lot of people are going to say fewer sets heavier weight. Just looking for some input here and what has worked for some of you guys in the past.

Thanks,
Ben

This is all in one workout? WAYY to much volume. If you're going to go 2x per week.. I'd suggest picking a core lift each for quad/ham dominant (squats, lying curls) and do 2-3 sets a piece and call it a day.

Now that I think about it, you could even do a DC blast, legs only. Look into that. I think dropping the volume, increasing the intensity and recovery time will be key for you.

What kind of #s are you putting up?
What kind of progress are you making in weight?
Diet? Rest?
Doing anything else to tax your legs?

This is all in one workout. Its basically Arnolds Advanced Level 2 out of The Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding with everything else cut out besides the legs. I do think the workout I was doing led to my shoulder problems, I over trained.

Squat warm up with 135, 185, 185, 225, 225
Hack Squat 225, 255,255,255
Lying Leg curls 80, 90, 115, 115
Leg Extensions 50 , 50 , 50

Standing Calf Raise 420, 460, 300
Seated Calf Raise 115, 115, 115, 45 super slow
Donkey Calf Raise, whatever I am feeling

I am only doing legs Monday and Thursday so I have plenty of rest in between.
Just got back from the gym, going for a nice light jog this evening just to keep them loose probably about 1.5 miles at about a 4mph pace.
Since I can only do legs abs and cardio right now I was planning on jogging every night monday - friday and then saturday and sunday completely off. Meeting with the nutritionist at my gym Thursday to discuss my diet but currently

Breakfast: Banana, two jumbo hard boiled eggs and a bowl of oatmeal.
Snack: Glass of milk and a potato, egg, and cheese breakfast burrito (pretty small portion have to eat on campus)
Lunch: HEB garlic chicken or chicken Alfredo skillet meal approximately 800 cals
Snack: Syntha 6 Protein Shake
Dinner: Sirloin Hamburger, with sausage, and mac & cheese.

I know my diet sucks, its better then all processed food though. Hoping to get a nice solid meal plan from the nutritionist we just hired her and she is giving all staff members a free hour to get to know us. Goal for the next 5 weeks is to really lean out then as soon as I am healthy again come back with a vengeance and try to put on 15-20 lbs naturally. I am 23, a lot of senior members here and over at alinboard have convinced me to wait till 25 before my first cycle. I know my diet is nowhere near ready and I am still trying to learn and listen to my body.

Ok..first what are your other lift #s..what's your background..# of years lifting etc?
Post a pic up..your legs might not even be lagging behind..no offense those are beginner #s.

No offense taken. I am 23 years old. Been lifting since high school football 16 but I think we all know what that entails, lifting for power not bodybuilding. I have no problem admitting I am a BEGINNER bodybuilder.

I have only been back in the gym hard for the past 8 months after a year and a half off. I would consider myself a beginner compared to the vast majority of people on the board. Gotta start somewhere though right =)

Bench 225 3 x 10
Incline Bench 225 3 x 8
Delcine Bench 255 3 x 8
Flys 4 x 10 40 lbs

Bicep BB Curl 70 , 80 , 90 , 100 4 x 10
Incline D.B curls 3 x 10 40 lbs
Concentration CUrls 3 x 8 45 lbs

Shoulder Press 70 lbs 4 x 15
Standing Lat Raises 3 x 10 30 lbs
Seated Lat Raise 3 x 10 25 lbs

Back 5 x 10 Wide Grip to Back Chins
Close Grip chins 4 x 10
Seated close grib cable rows 3 x 10 180, 220, 240
Lat Pull Down 3 x 10 150 , 180 , 220
Stiff leg deads 3 x 10 with 135.

I have neglected squat and deads because I have always had problems with my knees but have decided to start slow and work harder on them and whip them in shape. I can throw 8 plates on each side of seated leg press but you know who really gives a f*** about seated leg press.
I was going super heavy on leg extensions but read and felt the strain on my ligaments.

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_-WXWiI-YIDY/THw0T-QmOPI/AAAAAAAAAAU/tW7tznWlke4/s640/2010-08-30 17.42.52.jpg
https://lh3.ggpht.com/_-WXWiI-YIDY/THw0kvNQUoI/AAAAAAAAAA8/PztjY6Ssszw/s640/2010-08-30 17.43.04.jpg

I honestly think you should just clean up your diet and do madcows 5x5.
if you're dead set on your program though I'd just do 1 heavy set of squats and then 1 set of 20 reps with squats. Really vague I know..

Madcows? Can I find that over at intensemuscle? I'll search for it just don't know where to look.

Thanks 7 for all your help brother. I realize you didn't need to take this time out of your day to help me along. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks 7 for all your help brother. I realize you didn't need to take this time out of your day to help me along. Greatly appreciated.

Np bro. I had people help me when I first started so it's the least I can do.
Legs are 1 thing I know how to make big. But I feel like it's just an over all lack of strength and not specifically your legs that are weak..but I'm in the same boat as you so don't feel bad..just get your diet good and lift heavy and you'll get some big wheels.

I suggest doing little different, try doing 25-35 reps per set and hitting legs once a week. Buddy of mine just started doing this few months ago and his legs have grown tremendously. He even goes up to 50 reps on machines and extensions

IMO it's all about two things:

1. mastering your squat form.

2. going all out, I mean really all out, on one heavy set.

You could do more than one set (I do a lighter set after my working set), but it's that one "all out" set that is going to count.

I also do leg press, leg extensions, etc, but I feel it's that one all out set of squats that makes me grow. I start thinking about that one set days before leg day, it haunts me. Remember to get nasty with it.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Well last week I was diagnosed with impingement syndrome in my left shoulder. I am following the stretches the doc gave me as well as doing Dante's towel/bar stretches 50X2 a day. I figured I would go ahead and take the other 5 weeks off the doc recommended and keep doing his and Dante's stretches. I am trying to really focus on my diet/cardio/leg training in the meantime. My current plan is to do legs 2x a week Monday and Thursday. I want to use this time to really build some tree trunks while I let my upper body rest. I am looking for some advice here because like most people I follow a lot of the old school approaches (eg Arnold) to training legs. Please critique/offer any advice.

Today
Leg press 12,10,8,6

Seated calf raise 4 x 10
Donkey calf raise 3 x 15

Thanks,
Ben

That looks great the only thing i would change if your going to work legs 2x a week do monday and friday to give yourself plenty of rest.do a five day split mon/fri then tue/sat then wed/sun get my point it works great .

Last edited:
Madcows? Can I find that over at intensemuscle? I'll search for it just don't know where to look.

That is a great program that I once used. It helped me pile on about 40 lbs on my squat in short order. Use it in a periodization program like he says and youll be able to put on a lot of strength really fast.

i think you should try upping reps i dont think you need to go as low as 6 reps if you want to add muscle on your legs yea 6 reps would be good for stregth though. Keep the reps no less then 10-20.

SB

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to give Bill Starr's madcow routine a shot. I am going to continue what I am currently doing for another a week following this one, hit legs yesterday going to use Big's advice and wait till Friday to blast them again.

On approximately September 13th I am going to step into Bill Starr's routine. I am meeting with the nutritionist at the gym I work at on Thursday for an hour. While my shoulder is healing I am going to try to lean out and when I am healthy again I am coming back with a vengeance, looking for approximately 20 lbs of clean gains. I'll post up the plans she and I come up with either Thursday or Friday night for everyone to see/critique/comment on. I'll be sure to get some after pics of my wheels up when this is all said and done.

Stay strong brothers.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to give Bill Starr's madcow routine a shot. I am going to continue what I am currently doing for another a week following this one, hit legs yesterday going to use Big's advice and wait till Friday to blast them again.

On approximately September 13th I am going to step into Bill Starr's routine. I am meeting with the nutritionist at the gym I work at on Thursday for an hour. While my shoulder is healing I am going to try to lean out and when I am healthy again I am coming back with a vengeance, looking for approximately 20 lbs of clean gains. I'll post up the plans she and I come up with either Thursday or Friday night for everyone to see/critique/comment on. I'll be sure to get some after pics of my wheels up when this is all said and done.

Stay strong brothers.

remember bro legs will respond to more reps then upper body would this is what is known. 6 reps on legs is pretty low i wouldnt go under 8 if you were looking to add muscle on them you wouldnt train 4 reps for hyper would ya?

SB

high bar close stance squats all the way down. Takes some mobility work and stretching to get the right position but when you are able to sit down on your calves and keep your body as upright as possible your legs are much more involved instead of your back

I'm using almost 1/2 the weight i used to power squat with and my legs have grown 1"....off cycle

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131