over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

felt tear in shoulder while doing decline bench

nandrthal

Registered
Warming up ... first set at 135 then 225 about my 4th rep I felt a tear like ripping feeling of scar tissue?? then sharp pain in the area of the anterior delt region of my left shoulder. Happened to me a couple months bach while doing incline.

Anyone have any clue what this might be. I have no insurance and so I'm going about this the cheap way.. anyone with similar issues??

Aloha Mate,

For right now, ice 20 on and 20 off as frequently as you can for the next 48 hours. Take 800 mgs of ibuprofen 2-3x a day with meals too. Stay away from any upper body lifts. After 48 hrs, go to contrast therapy for 48 hours, alternating cold and heat and continue the ibuprofen.

V55

Damn Viking! Excellent advise.

Nandrthal, do just what he said.

It could take a few weeks for it to subside but be patient and don't lift if it hurts wonce you feel like you can hit the weights again.

Above stated advise is good but remember if the injury is more serious to see a Dr who can acurately diagnose the injury. Also goes to show that declines and inclines can also reak havoc on shoulders and pecs, not just flat bench as it is constantly seen as the villian.

anti-inflamatories are good for reducing pain but interfer with the bodies healing process. one of many studie is shown below.

NSAIDs have been shown to delay and hamper the healing in all the soft tissues, including muscles, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage. Anti-inflammatories can delay healing and delay it significantly, even in muscles with their tremendous blood supply. In one study on muscle strains, Piroxicam essentially wiped out the entire inflammatory proliferative phase of healing (days 0-4). At day two there were essentially no macrophages (cells that clean up the area) in the area and by day four after the muscle strain, there was very little muscle regeneration compared to the normal healing process. The muscle strength at this time was only about 40 percent of normal.(Greene, J. Cost-conscious prescribing of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for adults with arthritis. Archives of Internal Medicine. 1992; 152:1995-2002.)

thanks guys I appreciate it...i guess I'll just take it easy onthe decline for a while and try the hot cold technique to keep the inflamation down.

active release therapy if you can afford it and can find someone who is certified.

just had a tune up on my shoulder I can't say enough good things about it.

Take a long vacation or a cortisone shot and use very lite wieght for training the upper body.

Does your shoulder hurt (throb) when inactive? or just when you move it?
viking is right. Ice and rest. Look online for a vita pump system. I got mine from my PT for my shoulder.It can give you both cold and heat therapy with the flip of a switch. For right now, zip loc and ice cubes. I hope it's not serious.

Take a long vacation or a cortisone shot and use very lite wieght for training the upper body.

lol cortisone???

please tell me how could cortisone which is an extreme anti healing steroid possible help with a muscle tear?

It would only make things worse...

but i would like to hear what you have to say.

active release therapy if you can afford it and can find someone who is certified.

just had a tune up on my shoulder I can't say enough good things about it.

this is great.. i must agree

It hurts when I "push" (like pushing on a wall). Other than that it is a little sore when inactive. The pain is right in the armpit area where the ant delt meets the pec.
Does your shoulder hurt (throb) when inactive? or just when you move it?
viking is right. Ice and rest. Look online for a vita pump system. I got mine from my PT for my shoulder.It can give you both cold and heat therapy with the flip of a switch. For right now, zip loc and ice cubes. I hope it's not serious.

lol cortisone???

please tell me how could cortisone which is an extreme anti healing steroid possible help with a muscle tear?

I am also interested how cortisone and lite training will help this heal.

It hurts when I "push" (like pushing on a wall). Other than that it is a little sore when inactive. The pain is right in the armpit area where the ant delt meets the pec.

Hopefully it was just a strain on the subscapularis. Take some time off of any exercise that involvolves shoulder movement. What about your range of motion ( Lateral/frontal)?

I have complete range of motion but with with some pain. I can defenitely feel it when I push foreward. The area just gave out and became laxed when I injured it. I defenitely felt a tear..maybe pectoralis minor??

Hopefully it was just a strain on the subscapularis. Take some time off of any exercise that involvolves shoulder movement. What about your range of motion ( Lateral/frontal)?

lol cortisone???

I don't know the specifics of it, but I had the same opinion up until a few months ago. I was in a workplace accident and dislocated my patella and had a minor tear of the V. Medialis at the top of the knee as well as a torn medial retinaculum. My Dr. is a world renowned ortho and is the surgeon for several Fl. Pro sports teams. I ended up tearing my sartorious and partial hamstring at the musculo tendon junction a few weeks later as a result. I've had a similiar injury before so I'm familiar with the recovery time. This time my Dr advised I get 1 cortisone shot. He explained that cortisol is a vital part of initiating the healing process and it does this via immediately stopping inflammation and jump starting a number of mechanisms of repair. I did recover in about half the time as the last injury.
He stressed that the cortisone injection can be used only once.
He also knew the extent of the injury via an MRI.
I think you need an MRI first so that you know what you are dealing with, otherwise you may do moree harm than good.

I am also interested how cortisone and lite training will help this heal.

I think Wostok mentioned healing. It wasn’t in my post. My point is it would relieve the pain and perhaps allow lifting to continue. Instead of taking high doses of ibuprofen I prefer taking a shot of cortisone. That’s just me. Everyone views things differently.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131