over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Neck pain

chevy1234

Registered
I keep pulling or tearing the same muscle in my neck over and over again.So bad that i cant look to the left.I had two days where i felt alright and then right back to pain.Anyone have this problem or ideas what i can do?

Hit the Ibprofin and take it easy until the initial pain goes away. My guess is you need to stretch your traps. Use your Google finger to find some good stretches for the neck/trap region. Not to sound like a yoga wuss, but stretching is important to keep things from binding up, pinching nerves, etc.

Hope this helps.

You sure it's not.....

You sure it's not a disc problem? Might want to get an MRI just in case.

I am going to do stretching for sure.I had a mri and they said it was poor posture and arthitis.I had a lower disk surgery already.Neck pain is not fun.I really thought the steriods would help.Thanks for the feedback

I keep pulling or tearing the same muscle in my neck over and over again.So bad that i cant look to the left.I had two days where i felt alright and then right back to pain.Anyone have this problem or ideas what i can do?

I'm experiencing this right now where it feels like a spasm and constant tightness. I believe in my case it's due to poor posture over the years and not so much the physical work I do and go to a chiropractor periodically . The muscle relaxer I use works better then aveve , ibuprofen since they are for fever and anti- inflammatory pain , so I say if you can get a script for a muscle relaxer and afford a chiropractor and massage therapy , then go for it .

Naw, I dont' think AAS would help your neck pain. To the contrary, given your prior neck surgery and arthritis you probably need to be careful in the gym not to make things worse. I have a similar issue with my neck (except I was lucky and didnt have to have surgery) and have to be cognizant while on AAS to be careful of motion, weight etc.

I was getting real bad neck pain after heavy shrugs. Same thing could not turn my head. Do you notice a specific thing you are doing when this occurs? I started to pay attention to how I was doing the workout and realized some mistakes.

If you are having trouble rotating your head, esp to just one side without nerve pain, then the problem muscle is the levator scapulae. This is also the muscle that when you sleep with your neck in an awkward position then wake up in the next morning and have very limited range of motion to one side; it is the levator scapulae that has been compromised and shortened.

If you are not able to get the muscle treated then I would do simple contract relax stretching if it is not painful. If it is painful and the muscle is not releasing then I would go see a NMT for proper treatment and release of the muscle.

A simple test to see if this muscle is the problem, would be to reach back behind yourself to the side that is irritated. Find the scapulae/shoulder blade, at the top corner of the bone that is closest towards the spine feel around for tenderness. This is where the muscle attaches to the scapulae and if it is the problem this will be tender to pressure, and you will have to apply enough pressure to push through the traps to get to it. If it is tender, then you know the problem and how to treat it. But based on your description of pain as well as lack of ROM this is the obvious muscle that is causing the problems if it is a skeletal muscle issue.

I was getting real bad neck pain after heavy shrugs. Same thing could not turn my head. Do you notice a specific thing you are doing when this occurs? I started to pay attention to how I was doing the workout and realized some mistakes.

This also seems that it could be a levator scapulae issue, esp b/c it is contracting so that you are able to do the exercise. Some obvious points that I am sure you are all aware of is to: make sure that you are shruging evenly as well as the ground you are on is level. Your head should also be fwd and never turn it during this movement, also make sure you pick up and rack the bar evenly as well.

lay on a flat surface where your head and arms can hang off. have pressure (trigger point) applied to the hot spot while your head arms are completely relaxed. (elbows are good for this) for at least 90 seconds. if the person is good at this and strong enough, same approach, but have them rotate your arms through a range of motion (painful) with the pressure applied. should feel knotty and fibrotic, but with continued therapy it can reverse it being chronic for you.
also lay on your back . affected side , same arm, over your eyes like you are blocking from being able to see. nose in armpit. pressure applied to the pec minor. should be some real tenderness there. (postural issue) it will take some digging (thumbs, hard), but once you find it, should burn a little to a lot. again pressure and ROM w/ pressure. This is probably where the problem is originating from, but it is referring to your neck. (I am guessing of course, but this is the protocol I have used for years when someone says to me what you typed)
hope it helps relieve the annoyance you are experiencing
-c

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner