over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lifting and Inguinal Hernias:Members Experiences

Cosmicdrifter

Registered
I have an inguinal hernia - just saw it yesterday for the first time. I it is a small protrusion above the groin area. Many of you have had one or currently have one.

Laparoscopic repair is an option with small ones like mine and I will probably do that. At the moment it is not painful and does not bother me when lifting.

I wondered if member here would share their experiences with either lifting with one - did it advance quickly or stay the same in spite of your lifting?

And, repair - which type, surgical or laparoscopic did you choose and how was the post-operative experience: How long was it before you could get back to lifting?

Anything you are comfortable sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Had one, quite large but the doctor thought mine was from birth since it never really caused any pain. Lifted very heavy (for me) for many years. But one day I went to my GP and he told me I needed to get it fixed due to possible constriction/strangulations issues with the bowel and intestines. Got mine done lap surgery, was quite large as well. But all good after ten year, no probs. If yours is from birth then it may not be an issue now but It can get worse and then there is the risk of strangulation, if that happens then it is emergency surgery and a not so pretty job. Go and get it seen to by a good surgeon. You will be back at it in no time.

HAD ONE IN MY LATE TWENTYS HAD TO BE CAREFUL WITH BACK WORK AND SQUATS, AND DUE TO YOUTH AND A HARD HEAD ENDED PROGRESSING VERY RAPID . ENDED UP WITH A 5 INCH INCISION AND THREE PEICES OF MESH SCREEN. BUT OH WELL WORTH IT . 6 WEEKS DOWN THEN BETTER THAN NEW.

View That Page

See **broken link removed**
This is the greatest internet markting firm i worked with. They are great with google.de and all kinds of whitehat tricks..
I could promise they really pwn with companies. Do not wait & view them.

I developed mine during contest prep at the age of 38. I ignored it and continued to lift heavy until it became painful to lift. That was a mistake. Once a tear starts it can progress quickly. I had surgery 6 weeks before my show. I opted for the cut method. My Doc explained that in his experience there was a 3-4% failure rate doing it Lap method and he had never had one fail with the cut method. Since I lift Heavy most of the time I opted for the cut with the stipulation that the incision line could be concealed by my posing suit.
I stayed down for 5 days. Started LISS cardio at 5 days and was back lifting lightly at 12 days. Posing was difficult right up to the show but I managed.
Three years later still lifting heavy without any complications.

Had one, quite large but the doctor thought mine was from birth since it never really caused any pain. Lifted very heavy (for me) for many years. But one day I went to my GP and he told me I needed to get it fixed due to possible constriction/strangulations issues with the bowel and intestines. Got mine done lap surgery, was quite large as well. But all good after ten year, no probs. If yours is from birth then it may not be an issue now but It can get worse and then there is the risk of strangulation, if that happens then it is emergency surgery and a not so pretty job. Go and get it seen to by a good surgeon. You will be back at it in no time.

Not from birth; just showed up. I was wondering how much long I could put off the fix. If you can lift, and that doesn't cause it to get worse, then I can schedule at leisure. If lifting makes it worse, then I'll have to get it fixed immediately.

Not from birth; just showed up. I was wondering how much long I could put off the fix. If you can lift, and that doesn't cause it to get worse, then I can schedule at leisure. If lifting makes it worse, then I'll have to get it fixed immediately.
I was told by my doc at the time that if it wasn't painful then I could postpone for a while. Once pain sets in the likelihood of strangulation increases exponentially. Food for thought.

I was told by my doc at the time that if it wasn't painful then I could postpone for a while. Once pain sets in the likelihood of strangulation increases exponentially. Food for thought.

Thanks 68; very good information. It sounds reasonable and it gives me hope that I'll have a choice.

I had one, had a mesh put in, back in the late 90s, it was a fairly new procedure. Doc told me I could go back to training as heavy as I liked in 2 weeks (not shitting you), as long as it wasn't painful (it wasn't painful at all after 3 weeks).

The mesh is stapled in place. For a LONG time, if I pressed on my groin in a certain area (think 'girl on top') it was very painful. It took many years for that to go away, about 5, now it almost never hurts, but every once in a while, if I stretch or contract my abs just right, I feel the mess pulling on one of those staples.

There is also a chance it can move out of place, and then it must be removed, this can be messy because it is designed for tissue to grow into it and hold it in place.

The old way of just sewing it up from the outside has the chance of happening again because the tissue doesn't really heal back together, it's just the stitches holding it together. The recovery is a lot longer also, and the scar is much bigger.

It's 12 years later and I'm very pleased with laparoscopic repair, I think if I would have trained abs more after the operation, I wouldn't have had as much staple pain.

I have had two of them. Both were repaired with mesh, the first was an open incision procedure and the second was lapriscopic. After the open incision it was 12 weeks before I could train and 7 months before I felt normal again. With the lapriscopic repair I was back in the gym in 4 weeks and up to full speed at 6 weeks.

I had mine repaired in 1984...subcutaneous staples, then closed with removable staples. Dr. figured it may have started from lifting, then got aggravated from football....whatever, I think it's amazing how much easier this repair is these days.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear