over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bench Presses

inoverdrive

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just curious as to how many of you still bench press. It is starting to really kill my shoulders and wondered if dropping that and just doing a heavy dumbell press would be just as good.

Just curious as to how many of you still bench press. It is starting to really kill my shoulders and wondered if dropping that and just doing a heavy dumbell press would be just as good.

how wide is your grip? I have noticed my shoulders have been much better when I moved my grip in about 4-5inches.....

I Hardly ever do flat barbell bench press Here's my chest routine this give me a better pump and size

1. Incline Dumbbell Press. 4to5 sets, 15-12-10-10-8
2. Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 3 sets of 12.
3. Incline Dumbbell Flye - 3 x 10
4. Decline Dumbbell Press.3 sets of 10
5. Cable Crossover - 2 x 15

how wide is your grip? I have noticed my shoulders have been much better when I moved my grip in about 4-5inches.....

I keep my grip where when the bar is on my chest my forearms are at a 90 degree angle (straight up)

I might do some light weight high rep stuff at the end of the workout but won't go real heavy w/ them..maybe 225 on a good day....incline barbell is no problem, and I ususally do one or two other exercises...the gym I go to (golds) only has 100 lb dumbells so I'll end up doing a couple sets of flat with them towards the end...

i warm my shoulder up alot now and i keep a narrow grib plus i keep my elbows close to my body

i know people say to do incline bench instead, but that seems to me to put more stress on your shoulders! i have never had a shoulder problem from doin flat bench.

regardless of what type of barbell benching i do, i keep the bar about 3-5' off my chest, the bar never touches my chest, that takes the stress off my shoulders.

I alternate from dumbbells one week to the bar the next.

I started to get some shoulder pain last year and stopped doing incline dumbbells and started using an incline cybex machine. The pain went away.

I cant understand why anyone would do an exercise that does not follow the natural direction of motion the muscle is designed to move along. the Pec, when it contracts brings the arm down and across the body, just like a decline press does.

I really think it depends on the individuals frame and build on what hurts and why. But mostly its because they need to stop what they're doing for a while. I went from doing work sets with 315 easily to barely being able to rep 225 for a couple of reps because of pain.
Doctor have been no help, quit benching he tells me...and by the way you need to lose some weight. furkin doctors....:banghead:

Flat barbell kills my right shoulder. So no more flat barbell EVER! I tried only decline barbell for a while but it started hurting a bit too. So then switched to dumbbells only, this feels much better but I always have a hell of a pain at the bottom part of the rep on the first rep (again right shoulder), once that first rep is out of the way it's all good though. If I have a partner with me I’ll get him to assist me on the first rep and start my counting from the top position.

Advice I wish I’d have followed:

If your body is telling you something hurts DONT PUSH IT!
A STUPID mistake I made is trying to work out with flat barbell even though I know the shit kills me. I warmed up with the bar, then 135 2 sets, felt good jumped up to 225, felt like shit...2 reps and the shoulder decided no more....looked like a major puss, had little guys looking at me all crazy.

Frustrated I went to the dumbbells grabbed the 100s and started repping with them, at the bottom of rep number 8 in my chest I feel a weird pull and hear (with ear buds in mind you) what sounds like someone doing a drum roll on flesh. I throws those fuckers down almost taking out a guys foot, I feel especially bad about that, he gave me quite a look... I look up at my partner who has this weird scared look on his face. I wonder did he hear that too...Later he told me he didnt hear it but was wondering why I felt it necessary to throw my dumbbells 15 feet...lol I knew what it was when it happened, I partially tore my left pec, it didn’t hurt so bad at first but hurt like hell for weeks after, swole up, swelling went down and there was bruising from my bicep to my arm pit. I had to avoid upper body for several weeks. My conclusion is that because I didn’t warm up again with the dumbbells my body revolted against me. The worst part is I knew that my muscles weren’t ready on rep one. I let my ego get me hurt…Did I mention that this was a STUPID mistake?

Since then I've been really particular on how I push myself. If something hurts or even feels even the slightest bit uncomfortable I quit and find alternatives. It sucks being hurt, it affects everything you do not just the gym, and its avoidable.

I'm all healed up now and recently I've switched to incline barbell and dumbbells....I'm back to doing work sets with 225 with no pain so far. Think I'll stick with it for while, and build up my working weight SLOWLY.. My advice to anyone who is having pain is this:
Listen to your body, if something hurts or feels not quite right chances are there’s a DAMN good reason for it.:)

I really think it depends on the individuals frame and build on what hurts and why. But mostly its because they need to stop what they're doing for a while. I went from doing work sets with 315 easily to barely being able to rep 225 for a couple of reps because of pain.
Doctor have been no help, quit benching he tells me...and by the way you need to lose some weight. furkin doctors....:banghead:

Flat barbell kills my right shoulder. So no more flat barbell EVER! I tried only decline barbell for a while but it started hurting a bit too. So then switched to dumbbells only, this feels much better but I always have a hell of a pain at the bottom part of the rep on the first rep (again right shoulder), once that first rep is out of the way it's all good though. If I have a partner with me I’ll get him to assist me on the first rep and start my counting from the top position.

A STUPID mistake I made is trying to work out with flat barbell even though I know the shit kills me. I warmed up with the bar, then 135 2 sets, felt good jumped up to 225, felt like shit...2 reps and the shoulder decided no more....looked like a major puss, had little guys looking at me all crazy.

Frustrated I went to the dumbbells grabbed the 100s and started repping with them, at the bottom of rep number 8 in my chest I feel a weird pull and hear (with ear buds in mind you) what sounds like someone doing a drum roll on flesh. I throws those fuckers down almost taking out a guys foot, I feel especially bad about that, he gave me quite a look... I look up at my partner who has this weird scared look on his face. I wonder did he hear that too...Later he told me he didnt hear it but was wondering why I felt it necessary to throw my dumbbells 15 feet...lol I knew what it was when it happened, I partially tore my left pec, it didn’t hurt so bad at first but hurt like hell for weeks after, swole up, swelling went down and there was bruising from my bicep to my arm pit. I had to avoid upper body for several weeks. My conclusion is that because I didn’t warm up again with the dumbbells my body revolted against me. The worst part is I knew that my muscles weren’t ready on rep one. I let my ego get me hurt…Did I mention that this was a STUPID mistake?

Since then I've been really particular on how I push myself. If something hurts or even feels even the slightest bit uncomfortable I quit and find alternatives. It sucks being hurt, it affects everything you do not just the gym, and its avoidable.

I'm all healed up now and recently I've switched to incline barbell and dumbbells....I'm back to doing work sets with 225 with no pain so far. Think I'll stick with it for while, and build up my working weight SLOWLY.. My advice to anyone who is having pain is this:
Listen to your body, if something hurts or feels not quite right chances are there’s a DAMN good reason for it.:)

In my younger days, if I felt a pull or tear...I would try to finish my workout and train around it, only to get home and be in imense pain or be out of the gym for a week or two..... now that I am older and a little smarter, if I feel anything pop, tweek, or anything..I put the weights down and say "be back to train another day"

Try inclines but with only about a 15-20 degree angle. And if a bar hurts do dumb bells. I haven't used a bar for chest in over a year and have never looked / felt better.

Never do them anymore.

Incline and decline for me.

If I go flat I use DB.

Scott do you do the exercise from the DC training where you get the broomstick and go from front to back? It seems that helped a little but i have to keep doing it.

declines and dips for me.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity