YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Can you succeed in bodybuilding as a vegetarian?

Silencer

FOUNDING Member
Registered
First -- I'm an omnivore, and always have been. Definitely fit the stereotype of the guy buying bags of frozen chicken breasts and 36 packs of eggs at Costco on a weekly basis. My kids crack up every time they see me fighting to squeeze the latest purchase into our freezer.

However, I recently read the book "Eating Animals" on a whim, and it really sickened me. Esp when it comes to industrial farming of animals like pigs and turkeys. Not just the mistreatment of animals (and if they did any of that to a dog, they'd go to jail), but all the antibiotics, poor nutrition, etc.

So question is: how much will I compromise my gains by eliminating most meat and dairy? Not all of it -- I will eat grass-fed, open-range beef, and eggs laid in nests, and I understand my grocery bill will explode because of this -- but if I eliminate most chicken, turkey, fish, etc and replace with whey powder and the like...

Thoughts? It scares me because chicken breasts/potatoes have been a staple of mine for prob 15 years. Anyone here a complete vegetarian?

I think Andreas Cahling and Bill Perl will be good resources for you...

although he isnt the bgigest guy in the gym.. my buddy is vegetarian and has been competing in shows for I would guess the last 10-15years as a bantamweight. I have never seen him NOT get 1st... he stays within 2 weeks worth of conditioning YEAR ROUND. its insane. his genetics are off the hcarts...i couldnt imagine what some good meat, solid training, and supplements would do to the guy.

so to you answer the forum ? I think you can be successful as a vegetarian. I mean hell, he has well over 20 1st place awards...

i go meatless for long periods of time and honestly don't notice any difference. i get more than enough protein from greek yogurt, nuts and shakes.

i go meatless for long periods of time and honestly don't notice any difference. i get more than enough protein from greek yogurt, nuts and shakes.

Yeah, I also am a fan of cycling out the meat products for periods of time.

Albert Beckles was a vegetarian.

The are a few sups you will need to take , and one is creatine cause veggies do not supply it.

Ive talked quite a few times with Bill Pearl.

He's a lacto-ovo(sp?) vegetarian, which means milk and eggs are ok to consume.

Milk and Eggs are perfect bodybuilding foods!

The best source of protein come from Whey Protein and Whole Eggs.

Both cannot be beat for quality of protein.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Didn't know that about Bill Pearl, that's great to know. Will look into the names, as well as make sure I get the creatine too. Also will supplement Omega 3 oils. Going to give it a shot and see how it goes!

Look into buying a side or a whole cow. You can usually get a crazy amount of ground beef, tons of steaks and some roasts as well.

Buy them from an place that feeds them 100% grass, alot are fed grain during the winter months and thats no bueno.

The meat will be WAY better and will typically cost around $3 a pound. Much better than $6 a pound for lean ground beef and 10-20 for premium steaks.

This way you can cut out the bad stuff, save money and still get great food and high quality protein.

This a great thread. I'm interested to see some of the posts. I recently switched to all organic meat and free range chicken and organic eggs. It is more expensive, but did alot of research and found the treatment and diets of the animals is night and day different than other animals. And the meats cook up and taste better.

Good to see some guys concerned for animal welfare.
I only eat grass fed free range myself, although I am only around 200lbs. I think it would be tough/expensive for you big guys.

Good to see some guys concerned for animal welfare.
I only eat grass fed free range myself, although I am only around 200lbs. I think it would be tough/expensive for you big guys.

Currently I'm 245 at about 11% bf. Yes, it does get very expensive buying organic and free range meats and poultry. I actually have had to eat a little less meat and eat more eggs and shakes to cover the cost. Fortunately it hasn't affected my gains. I am looking into to eat to grow to find out if they use organic, free range beef and chicken etc. And trying to figure out if I save money by buying in bulk from them. If anyone knows for sure, please post in this thread. Thanks.

Look into buying a side or a whole cow. You can usually get a crazy amount of ground beef, tons of steaks and some roasts as well.

Buy them from an place that feeds them 100% grass, alot are fed grain during the winter months and thats no bueno.

The meat will be WAY better and will typically cost around $3 a pound. Much better than $6 a pound for lean ground beef and 10-20 for premium steaks.

This way you can cut out the bad stuff, save money and still get great food and high quality protein.

mace 123 you should put on some overalls and become a farmer

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost