YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Failing on my right side due to shoulder?

Johnny Smiles

Banned
REALLY upset about this. i could see this ruining my symmetry. about a month ago i was in the gym and all of a sudden my right side was incredibly weak compared to my left (and i am right handed?!?)

i noticed it first on decline press. my right side failed prolly 4-5 reps before my left side.
even over head one arm dumbell tri extensions my left side failed WAY beofre left side.

it feels like its in my shoulder but there isn't any pain...? it just gives out.
after time this is going to ruin my physique:(

Anyone have anything similar happen what do i do?
-JS

I had a similar issue when I was younger that resulted from a nerve impingement in my right shoulder. NOTHING on that side of my body was as strong as my left. Sometimes I couldn't even flex my right bicep completely. It took a break from the gym and a bit of physical therapy to get things right again. Do you have previous shoulder issues JS? Mine happened a few years after I had surgery on my right shoulder after dislocating it more than ten times.

I had a similar issue when I was younger that resulted from a nerve impingement in my right shoulder. NOTHING on that side of my body was as strong as my left. Sometimes I couldn't even flex my right bicep completely. It took a break from the gym and a bit of physical therapy to get things right again. Do you have previous shoulder issues JS? Mine happened a few years after I had surgery on my right shoulder after dislocating it more than ten times.

ZERO shoulder issues (until now).
what kind of physical therapy do you do for a nerve issue?
its so weird. there is no pain but for the life of me i can't make it lift like it used to. and this happened one day out of the blue.

the only thing i can attribute it to is my shoulder has been aching int he morning after i sleep for about a month or so around the time this started. i always sleep on my right side with arm under my pillow under my head (if that makes sense lol) and in the morning my shoulder would be kinda sore or feel achy so i am now trying to sleep on my left side or back only in hopes of helping some how. not sure if this will matter tho as i have always slept same way for years and never had problems on my right side.
this sucks. i am obsessed about it....
-JS

Do you sleep on your right shoulder? I get that every now and then when I do alot of sleeping on my right side.

I found doing this stretch before training for a few rounds helps my shoulder out---> **broken link removed** watch the video called high intensity chest, bottom left, and he performs it near the end with a band.

ZERO shoulder issues (until now).
what kind of physical therapy do you do for a nerve issue?
its so weird. there is no pain but for the life of me i can't make it lift like it used to. and this happened one day out of the blue.

the only thing i can attribute it to is my shoulder has been aching int he morning after i sleep for about a month or so around the time this started. i always sleep on my right side with arm under my pillow under my head (if that makes sense lol) and in the morning my shoulder would be kinda sore or feel achy so i am now trying to sleep on my left side or back only in hopes of helping some how. not sure if this will matter tho as i have always slept same way for years and never had problems on my right side.
this sucks. i am obsessed about it....
-JS

JS,

i noticed the same thing with my left arm about a year ago. I noticed that my left shoulder, bicep and tricep were failing way before the right side. It actually got to the point where i wasn't getting as good of a contraction on the left etc. I went to the doc, they referred me to a neurologist and all. The only thing he came up with was i was pinching the nerve and limiting blood flow to the arm by sleeping on it. I switched to sleeping on my back, sometimes with my arms over my head and over the last year the strength came back along with size and shape.

I thought mine was from the Marines and carrying that heavy ass pack around all the time with the straps digging in.

JS,

i noticed the same thing with my left arm about a year ago. I noticed that my left shoulder, bicep and tricep were failing way before the right side. It actually got to the point where i wasn't getting as good of a contraction on the left etc. I went to the doc, they referred me to a neurologist and all. The only thing he came up with was i was pinching the nerve and limiting blood flow to the arm by sleeping on it. I switched to sleeping on my back, sometimes with my arms over my head and over the last year the strength came back along with size and shape.

I thought mine was from the Marines and carrying that heavy ass pack around all the time with the straps digging in.

oh snap! this is giving me hope! ok i will REALLY try to sleep on my back or other side as this could be a career ender as far as body building is concerned. man i hope thats what it is. your situation sounds similar to mine so i will definitly no long sleep like i have been...EVER.
man i hope that fixes it.
any other input or experiences?
-JS

I can't sleep with my arm above my head anymore due to my screwed up right shoulder, I feel your pain. As for the physical therapy, it was actually pretty standard stuff. A lot of internal/external rotation as well as stretching and deep tissue massage. It cured the problem completely. I don't know that you are necessarily having the same issue, but I'd probably have it checked out before it has a long-lasting negative effect on your training or physique.

oh snap! this is giving me hope! ok i will REALLY try to sleep on my back or other side as this could be a career ender as far as body building is concerned. man i hope thats what it is. your situation sounds similar to mine so i will definitly no long sleep like i have been...EVER.
man i hope that fixes it.
any other input or experiences?
-JS

I've had the exact same thing for almost a year now. Its also from sleeping. I talked to my Dr about it and he agreed it was an impinged nerve and recommended a place that does all of his "therapy" and they do accupuncture. They stuck the pin in somewhere and it felt like something in my shoulder let go and felt great. I get the accupuncture done every 3 months or so and deep tissue every month. Mine got so bad it was effecting pressing, back movements, everything in my left upper body. I haven't had any real issues since then although I can feel it coming back at about the 3 month mark. My ins covers it with a $30 co pay.

I've had the exact same thing for almost a year now. Its also from sleeping. I talked to my Dr about it and he agreed it was an impinged nerve and recommended a place that does all of his "therapy" and they do accupuncture. They stuck the pin in somewhere and it felt like something in my shoulder let go and felt great. I get the accupuncture done every 3 months or so and deep tissue every month. Mine got so bad it was effecting pressing, back movements, everything in my left upper body. I haven't had any real issues since then although I can feel it coming back at about the 3 month mark. My ins covers it with a $30 co pay.

good to know! i was afraid insurance might not cover it but i will look into it if it doesnt improve SOON.
it seems to affect everything i do with my right arm. funny how strong and yet how delicate the body is. one little thing goes wrong and boom i cant lift right:mad:
-JS

about a year & a half ago i woke up with a slight numbness in my left arm/ fingers & didn't know why.figured the way i slept on it.but it steadily got worse & i lost all strenghth in that arm! it was a pinched nerve & i still don't know how it happened.went to the chiro but didn't really do much.it took months to heal, i took a complete month off, then started lifting real lite.it took probely 6 to 8 months to heal! hope yours isn't as bad as mine.good luck bro!

Definitely sounds like a nerve impingement issue. I had the exact same problem with my left bicep. Never any pain whatsoever. Another possibility to cover all the bases… think about this possibly stemming from a spine/vertebrae issue. After seeing a chiropractor I did neck stretches and began sleeping flat (vs. 2 pillows) and my problem vanished as quickly as it came. Also lots of shoulder movements/stretches/range-of-motion to open those rotator mechanics as was suggested.

Get it taken care of! My left arm is an inch smaller than the right due to nerve damage from a neck injury lst yaer. I still can't flex the bicep either like the second poster in this thread. The nerve is not impinged anymore but it takes a long time to come back.

man, encouraging info guys and gals thx.
just gonna lower poundage and progress very slowly with the weights while also changing sleep position and gonna try massage and rotator strengthening exercises, some basic physical therapy stuff. really freaked me out cuz there was no pain but yet its not working right....
-JS

Hawkmoon had a similar problem and Dante gave him advice... look for that thread, I believe Hawkmoon started it but could be wrong

man, encouraging info guys and gals thx.
just gonna lower poundage and progress very slowly with the weights while also changing sleep position and gonna try massage and rotator strengthening exercises, some basic physical therapy stuff. really freaked me out cuz there was no pain but yet its not working right....
-JS

i had unilateral weakness last year, my doc said it was either a pinched nerve or herniated disk in my neck. so before doing anything i increased rep ranges lowered weight, and SLOWLY built the weight used back up. it took about 2 solid months to get back to normal, but everything is fine. Oh and i started sleeping on 3 pillows. i always slept on that side.

Hawkmoon had a similar problem and Dante gave him advice... look for that thread, I believe Hawkmoon started it but could be wrong

I have a chest weakness problem. I can't put up more than 275-295 these days on my favorite - inclines. No loss in size though...

All other muscles and movements are OK so I don't think it is just age. Dante thought ART would help, but there are no practitioners here in Tokyo.
Since then my elbow bone spur has been bothering me, so not benching super-heavy is acceptable for me at the moment.

i had a badly broken humerus and shoulder on my right side...

they had to cut away alot of the muscle and place a 13cm metal plate in my shoulder and bout 15 large screws....

i now no longer have tendons over that space. so a portion of my right arm is very flat and my bicep peak is terrible on it...

but it certainly also affects my strength on all lifts really...

dont think i can do anything bout it but except keep workn

I currently have a condition called "winged scapula". It was brought on by a viral illness last Christmas. It attacks the long thorasic nerve preventing the anterior serratus muscle from firing therefore becoming atrophied and weak. It has caused a host of symptoms including the same symptoms you have. Ironically, I realized what I had from a thread on this board and googled it. I then found ways to strengthen the muscle, but it mostly just needs to repair itself on it's own. Take care of those shoulders, your fucked without em.

B Dog, that sucks!

I hope it gets better.

One thing that I seen work is additional pillow under your chest. The side that you lie on. Not under you shoulder but thoracic/ribs.

It takes alot of pressure of the shoulder you lie on. Unles you can sleep on your back.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws