over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Had my body composition checked - interesting

mountaindog1

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So here it is (last Thursday), 3 weeks after last show in which I was the leanest I have ever been in my life. I decided to go get my bodyfat tested at Ohio State university in one of their labs so I can trust who is doing it. I know I have gained some fat, but I'm still pretty damned lean. They were thorough as shit. No deodorant, no hairspray for underwater weighing, certain shorts for the bodpod, etc. They test athletes all day long so I fully trust their results.

I get a 4.2% on calipers, a 6.2% underwater, and a 10% on bodpod. They told me the bodpod is not accurate for leaner athletes. They combine the first two and say I am 5.2%. Not bad considering I was 3 weeks after my last show and living on ice cream.

So I am interviewing this PHD today for my website, and we start talking about bodyfat. She says she does not like the bodpod because people who are naturally hot/warm, throw off bad readings. I thought that was interesting, as I am always on warm side...even in cold weather..she likes dexa scans (the ones where you can see bone density and other cool things).

So have any of you all done multiple bodyfat tests, and were they consistent????

JM

Never gotten into the fancy BF tests but have been wanting to.

What did this end up running you?

Never gotten into the fancy BF tests but have been wanting to.

What did this end up running you?

I got a sweet deal..all 3 tests for $65....that is just what they charge....I didn't know it, but could have gotten a dexa scan for another $65..

JM

I've always just had calipers or Electro Imp., the later being totally useless. If you find someone who is skillfull with the calipers, you would be suprised at how accurate it can be. I've never been sufficiently interested in my BF number to go through the trouble of Hydro, dex, bod pod etc.

Body composition testing is of no value. I know whether I'm lean enough or not. If I look good, feel good, and perform well, my body composition is just fine, whatever the numbers may happen to be.

I like the water. Generally regarded as gold standard. Calipers only as good as person measuring.

My take on the subject-

i took a number of human body comp courses during my kin degree and we went over ALL of the methods for testing and evaluated them

anything that tests using electrical current/etc is pretty much completely bogus. there are so many variables (time of day, hydration, exercise, diet, moist hands, etc) that the variance/error is actually stated to be somewhere around 3%. thats in either direction! so realistically anyone with any experience can look at someone and eyeball their bf as accurately.

calipers are highly dependent on the experience of the tester. it is very important to use the SAME tester and the SAME test sites each time you get tested. the issue with calipers is 1) not everyone carries fat in the same ratios in the same place and 2) the equations used to derive the results are based on info created from cadavers. Issue with this is that there are not many YOUNG/ATHLETIC/HEALTHY/LEAN cadavers so the tests are much less accurate for a lean subject.

hydrostatic weighing is generally regarded as the gold standard (dexa is probably better but not very practical for most applications). hydro weighing is more accurate then skin folds as it disregards fat distribution (intramuscular fat as well) and will generally give a result about 2% higher then calipers for this reason (which is a more accurate reading).

i was the test dummy for my class, and the point of the course was basically to show that all the commercial bio-impedance machines are junk. calipers put my bf at 7%, hydro tank at 9% and the bioimpdience device at something like 14% which was obviously way off just from looking at me.

in the end, all that really matters is not the true number but the ability to monitor progress effectively. skin folds are just as good as this if you have the same tester and they are skilled.

so you may not know youre actually 8% body fat, but you will know you dropped 2% from the previous test.

my 2c

So here it is (last Thursday), 3 weeks after last show in which I was the leanest I have ever been in my life. I decided to go get my bodyfat tested at Ohio State university in one of their labs so I can trust who is doing it. I know I have gained some fat, but I'm still pretty damned lean. They were thorough as shit. No deodorant, no hairspray for underwater weighing, certain shorts for the bodpod, etc. They test athletes all day long so I fully trust their results.

I get a 4.2% on calipers, a 6.2% underwater, and a 10% on bodpod. They told me the bodpod is not accurate for leaner athletes. They combine the first two and say I am 5.2%. Not bad considering I was 3 weeks after my last show and living on ice cream.

So I am interviewing this PHD today for my website, and we start talking about bodyfat. She says she does not like the bodpod because people who are naturally hot/warm, throw off bad readings. I thought that was interesting, as I am always on warm side...even in cold weather..she likes dexa scans (the ones where you can see bone density and other cool things).

So have any of you all done multiple bodyfat tests, and were they consistent????

JM

Wow !
BodPod isn't as accurate for lean , good info right there. Not that I'm all that lean. Water still looks like the leader here.

My take on the subject-

i took a number of human body comp courses during my kin degree and we went over ALL of the methods for testing and evaluated them

anything that tests using electrical current/etc is pretty much completely bogus. there are so many variables (time of day, hydration, exercise, diet, moist hands, etc) that the variance/error is actually stated to be somewhere around 3%. thats in either direction! so realistically anyone with any experience can look at someone and eyeball their bf as accurately.

calipers are highly dependent on the experience of the tester. it is very important to use the SAME tester and the SAME test sites each time you get tested. the issue with calipers is 1) not everyone carries fat in the same ratios in the same place and 2) the equations used to derive the results are based on info created from cadavers. Issue with this is that there are not many YOUNG/ATHLETIC/HEALTHY/LEAN cadavers so the tests are much less accurate for a lean subject.

hydrostatic weighing is generally regarded as the gold standard (dexa is probably better but not very practical for most applications). hydro weighing is more accurate then skin folds as it disregards fat distribution (intramuscular fat as well) and will generally give a result about 2% higher then calipers for this reason (which is a more accurate reading).

i was the test dummy for my class, and the point of the course was basically to show that all the commercial bio-impedance machines are junk. calipers put my bf at 7%, hydro tank at 9% and the bioimpdience device at something like 14% which was obviously way off just from looking at me.

in the end, all that really matters is not the true number but the ability to monitor progress effectively. skin folds are just as good as this if you have the same tester and they are skilled.

so you may not know youre actually 8% body fat, but you will know you dropped 2% from the previous test.

my 2c

great post - I think the underwater is the best based on my study and what I have seen. Bodpod is not good at all on the flip side. I just wanted to see what I would measure given that I was lean at the time..that was it..nothing more. Thanks for sharing your experience my friend!

JM

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420