YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Surgery in the morning on bicep and shoulder.

i_hulk

Registered
Surgery tomorrow morning on my torn long head bicep tendon (upper bicep) and also torn rotator cuff. Injured Oct. 20th. Decided surgery cause I'm still somewhat young (28) haha.
Anyone have experience with this surgery and/or recovery time?
How long will it be immobilized after surgery?
How is the therapy? I heard it sucked.

Yeah, I know these are questions I should have asked the dr. I never ask too much as I'm not all that worried. I had lower back surgery (fused L4-L5, L5-S1, rods, screws, plate) at 25.

Just wondering. Thanks

Sorry I cant offer you any help on this but I am wondering how you tore your muscles. Can you let us know?

Sure. I was at work. I had a tool about 4ft long. 2-3 inches in diameter. about 55lbs. I know, not really that heavy. I had it in both hands. I extended my left arm fully to the left to place in a rack. When I extended all the way there were 2 pops in the shoulder then the tear of the bicep tendon. I actually heard it tear. I knew instantly what happened. The bicep balled up towards the elbow giving me the "popeye arm".

Sure. I was at work. I had a tool about 4ft long. 2-3 inches in diameter. about 55lbs. I know, not really that heavy. I had it in both hands. I extended my left arm fully to the left to place in a rack. When I extended all the way there were 2 pops in the shoulder then the tear of the bicep tendon. I actually heard it tear. I knew instantly what happened. The bicep balled up towards the elbow giving me the "popeye arm".

Wow, sounds very painful. I assumed at first that you did it while lifting. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. One thing I can say is dont rush the recovery. Follow your doctor's orders, no matter how hard it is to do. Taking lots of time from the gym is going to be better for you in the long haul.

I think I may have pushed myself a bit too hard coming back from my triple hernia surgery because I tore again part of my umbilical hernia about 9 weeks after surgery. Last thing you want to do is hurt yourself again.

Wow, sounds very painful. I assumed at first that you did it while lifting. I wish you a full and speedy recovery. One thing I can say is dont rush the recovery. Follow your doctor's orders, no matter how hard it is to do. Taking lots of time from the gym is going to be better for you in the long haul.

I think I may have pushed myself a bit too hard coming back from my triple hernia surgery because I tore again part of my umbilical hernia about 9 weeks after surgery. Last thing you want to do is hurt yourself again.

I think I was more pissed than felt the pain. haha. But yeah, I'm following orders to a T for this. I have the rest of my life to push hard... it's not worth it to get injured again. Thanks for the advice.

I'm at least 6 months post op from the same surgery. I just started to play BB again and my shoulder has little strength. I can do 3 dips and it hurts like hell but my shoulder was real bad according to the surgeon

Sucks

I know this sucks. I ruptured my proximal bicep tendon a few years back. My rotator was not involved though. My recovery was pretty long. As I recall it was 6 months before I started to lift again and about 9 before I started to push it a bit. Psychologically it was hard for me to really push things like deads and heavy curl until about a year post op. Do what your Dr and PT tells you and all should be good. Like the others have said do not rush things or you will pay later. I hope for you the best and keep us posted on how things are going.

Thanks everyone. I'm just getting home. Surgery went well. Dr wasn't sure what would need to be done to shoulder until he went in with camera. Turns out nothing needed to be done with it. They just repaired bicep. They did a nerve block on that arm so I can't feel anything at the moment. Can't feel or move fingers and have a droopy eye...lol. So far so good. Following orders as they tell me.

Last edited:
AWESOME

That is definitely good news brother. This should make your recovery shorter and simpler. Keep that arm immobilized and don't do anything with it. Take the oral pain pills like prescribed as this will begin to hurt like hell once he block wears off. Stay diligent with the ice and anti-inflammatory meds too.

That is definitely good news brother. This should make your recovery shorter and simpler. Keep that arm immobilized and don't do anything with it. Take the oral pain pills like prescribed as this will begin to hurt like hell once he block wears off. Stay diligent with the ice and anti-inflammatory meds too.

Thanks bro. I appreciate the advice. Got me a lil grub in..now time to go rest and ice.
I heard once that block wears off it could be quite painful. Anxious to see how much pain.

Thanks bro. I appreciate the advice. Got me a lil grub in..now time to go rest and ice.
I heard once that block wears off it could be quite painful. Anxious to see how much pain.

Just stay in front of it with the oral pain meds. If you get behind it you will have a hard time getting it back under control. At least for these first 2-3 days.

Just stay in front of it with the oral pain meds. If you get behind it you will have a hard time getting it back under control. At least for these first 2-3 days.

That's exactly what they said. cool

You were right man. That block wore off and whoooo. They have some pain with this surgery. My lower back fusion has nothing on this lol. I stayed on the pain meds constantly...doesn't phase it one bit.

2 day after surgery

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 5,999
man that looks painful...hope u have a fast recovery.

man that looks painful...hope u have a fast recovery.

Thank you. It's not too too bad, lol. The constipation, bloat and weight gain is sucking. haha. But I'm not paying attention to weight or fat gain. I can always take care of that later. Just want to follow orders, get the arm better, and get back to work. I love and miss my job.

4 days after. slight bruising.. haha

Attachments

• 2010-11-08 00.20.27 (Large).jpg
    2010-11-08 00.20.27 (Large).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,278
I had rotator cuff surgery and surgery for a torn distal bicep tendon, not at the same time. For each operation I was off work 6 months. The key that I found for recovery is dedication to the therapy afterwards, at home and at the rehab facility. Do what the tell you!! The rotator cuff surgery was in my right shoulder, that shoulder is now stronger then the left. The torn distal bicep tendon was in my left arm. That was several years ago. It still is not as strong as my right arm but I am not giving up. Good luck to you.

I had rotator cuff surgery and surgery for a torn distal bicep tendon, not at the same time. For each operation I was off work 6 months. The key that I found for recovery is dedication to the therapy afterwards, at home and at the rehab facility. Do what the tell you!! The rotator cuff surgery was in my right shoulder, that shoulder is now stronger then the left. The torn distal bicep tendon was in my left arm. That was several years ago. It still is not as strong as my right arm but I am not giving up. Good luck to you.

Hey man I appreciate the information. I'm pretty dedicated to do exactly as they say. Better to use my head wisely now, than to end up paying for it down the road. 6 months each...wow. I'm not sure when I will be released and not even speculating. It's in the dr's hands right now. Taking it one day at a time. Glad to hear about the shoulder and hope the bicep gets back to 100%. Mine was the proximal so I'll see down the road how it recovers.
Thanks.

This is 13 days after surgery. Had a follow up appointment today. Took the stitches out. Said he wants me to keep it in the sling for another 4 weeks, but I can take it out every now and then as long as I keep my arm to my side bent. I have moved it a little the past couple days. Pretty sore and stiff. Going back to dr in 3 weeks to see about therapy. No work for 4 weeks.

Attachments

• arm5.jpg
    arm5.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,351

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner