over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Answer to what causes muscle growth?

PHIL HERNON

Banned
I recieved this letter from my past training partner and great friend, David Villegas........I cherish all info from him and learned a TON from him when I was preparing for the USA in 1995

Phil,

Here is food for thought.

One of the mainstays of the training by genotype was the volume of intensity and rest. If you rememer the type A training was fairly low compared to other blood types. Up to that point the only reesarch available was from a small laboratory in england and the research we did at UNM.

As you know there has been a controversy as to how muscle growth really works. Words like Hyperplasia, hypertrophy and a combination of the two caused debates and major dessention within the sports community. Well there has been a light at the end of the tunnel. The only way to help piece the puzzle is to perform strict muscle biopsies with radio labels or chemicals in a working muscle to find out how it really functions.

A research facility in Iceland working specifically in genentics and human performance did such an experiement about 2 years ago on healthy muscular men who had significant weight lifting experience. Something you rarely find in todays exercise physiology experiments.

Muscle biopsies were done on all men and the ratio of type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers were measured. After the experiment was completed more biopsies were done in order to measure how exactly growth was taken place. Obviously I am condensing the results to prove a single point. What they found out was that hyperplasia was not a factor in growth and hypertrophy played only a minute role. What astounded them was that the body "recruited" type 2 muscle fibers and chemically, physiology converted them to type 1 muscle fibers with a small increase in the myosin fiber. Apparently the body has the ability to change itself structurally to adapt to its environment. Here is the interesting conclusion. Those with type A or O blood have a propensity to have a larger amount of type 2 muscle fiber which provides the body with a "sink" of available muscle tissue for conversion. The difference of muscle fibers (type2) ranges between a 7-13% larger portion between A,O to B,AB. The training protocol used was 3 sets to failure with a 2 minute rest utilizing 85% of 1RM.
This company in Iceland (Pharmacogenetics) is doing some amazing research. They are working on gene doping with athletes and I am suppsed to do a site rotation in June of this year.

An example i think could get some thoughts:
A friend of mine, soccer player in his teen, no weight trainig at all in his 10years of soccer, he was a skinny guy, less than 60kg/140lbs, no fat, he eated all day long healty food but gain any pound. From when he was 30 years old he began to gain weigh, a lot of fat and finally, at 36, docs found he got hypopituitaryc hypogonadism, origin unknow. From 35 he workout. From 37 years old he's on 250mg testosterone enanth./14days and 0,2/0,3IU hGH/day. He don't workout to hard but countinuosly year after year, max 85%RM, max 1body part/day, 30minutes of cardio every time after W.O., 5 day/week 50 weeks at year, but he's not able to loose weight, i mean muscle too...if he diet he loose fat and mantains same amount of muscle, +/- 190 pounds, if he eat a lot of cakes,choccolate, Nutella and so on he get a little 1/2% more fat and 4/5 lbs of muscle. When he diet he eat 2500kcal/day max, nothing from 8AM to 18PM....a lot of protein and 750kcal of Nutella(325 at breakfast and 325 after dinner.......), in 12 week of that strange diet he should be able to get in very nice shape, i mean he get serratus, all the quads muscle popping out, full of veins, striated shoulders...
I think he changed his body type for sure and probably type of muscle fibers.
Maybe hormones played a role in these changes.

pretty interesting on the muscle type conversion Phil...

Been doing some reading and trail error on nutrition for differing blood types...interesting stuff indeed.

It would be interesting to see what the blood types for the top pros and national level amateurs is. Do you know your blood type Phil?

I recieved this letter from my past training partner and great friend, David Villegas........I cherish all info from him and learned a TON from him when I was preparing for the USA in 1995

Phil,

One of the mainstays of the training by genotype was the volume of intensity and rest. If you rememer the type A training was fairly low compared to other blood types. Up to that point the only reesarch available was from a small laboratory in england and the research we did at UNM.

As you know there has been a controversy as to how muscle growth really works. Words like Hyperplasia, hypertrophy and a combination of the two caused debates and major dessention within the sports community. Well there has been a light at the end of the tunnel. The only way to help piece the puzzle is to perform strict muscle biopsies with radio labels or chemicals in a working muscle to find out how it really functions.

A research facility in Iceland working specifically in genentics and human performance did such an experiement about 2 years ago on healthy muscular men who had significant weight lifting experience. Something you rarely find in todays exercise physiology experiments.

Muscle biopsies were done on all men and the ratio of type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers were measured. After the experiment was completed more biopsies were done in order to measure how exactly growth was taken place. Obviously I am condensing the results to prove a single point. What they found out was that hyperplasia was not a factor in growth and hypertrophy played only a minute role. What astounded them was that the body "recruited" type 2 muscle fibers and chemically, physiology converted them to type 1 muscle fibers with a small increase in the myosin fiber. Apparently the body has the ability to change itself structurally to adapt to its environment. Here is the interesting conclusion. Those with type A or O blood have a propensity to have a larger amount of type 2 muscle fiber which provides the body with a "sink" of available muscle tissue for conversion. The difference of muscle fibers (type2) ranges between a 7-13% larger portion between A,O to B,AB. The training protocol used was 3 sets to failure with a 2 minute rest utilizing 85% of 1RM.
This company in Iceland (Pharmacogenetics) is doing some amazing research. They are working on gene doping with athletes and I am suppsed to do a site rotation in June of this year.
Not only do physiologist not know how muscle hypertrophy works..but they only have a theory how muscle works on general.

fascinating

BUT

MORE fascinating part is where Phil said he has received a 'letter'

what is a 'letter' ?

was it like email back in the days and delivered by horses??? or a runner with wings on his/her shoes?

wow

Phil,

This type of stuff REALLY interests me! I am going to do some searching and see what I can find about Pharmacogenetics and if they released the study etc....
It is funny when some simpleton comes on here and says "this stuff aint that complicated" or "you guys make this stuff so complicated" well if all your mind can comprehend is Lift heavy,eat protein,manipulate hormones and rest then it is simple.But if you want to or are capable of understanding the science behind what is happening at the cellular level,tissue level,systemic level and metabolic levels,well its not quite so simple and really not fully understood ,yet:)

Blood Type Poll

This would be interesting. Post blood type and stats.

Yes

I am type A.............you guys should have read the letter about sets per bodypart and how long it takes to recover with each extra set............good stuff! :)

I am type A.............you guys should have read the letter about sets per bodypart and how long it takes to recover with each extra set............good stuff! :)

Get typing then Phil :p

Good thing Im your client, eh?

I have read some literature in the past about diets for each blood type but muscle development and training by blood type is very interesting!

I'd love to read more details regarding this study and any recent updates since it is a bit dated now.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear