over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BACK TO THE BASIC

Tough Old Man

Kilo Klub Member
Thinking of going back and starting over. Now keeping in mind that because of my age squats and bench are now out due to various reasons. So I'll replace squats with leg press and Bench with weighted dips. Here is my plan and need your comments on it please. Main exercise will be 10 sets including warm up with a 3 set auxiliary exercise.

Mon: Weighted Dips / Incline Flyes

Tues: Deadlifts / Pullups

Thurs: Military Press / Side Laterals

Fri: Leg Press / reverse leg curls

Go as heavy as I can on the main exercises upping weight ea week.

Are you able to use the hammer strength for any chest movements? You can get better isolation on the pecs with HS incline and regular seated HS if your shoulders can't handle bench. For me, decline is the only way I can bench due to my shoulders... I can do HS though... Just a thought...

Are you able to use the hammer strength for any chest movements? You can get better isolation on the pecs with HS incline and regular seated HS if your shoulders can't handle bench. For me, decline is the only way I can bench due to my shoulders... I can do HS though... Just a thought...
I lift at home and don't own hammer strength machine. It's my left shoulder that stops all forms of bench even dumbells. 40 lb dumbells even bother it.....Weird thing is military press don't bother my shoulders at all.

Tough

What's your rep scheme for those ten sets or just go by feel each workout?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

I lift at home and don't own hammer strength machine. It's my left shoulder that stops all forms of bench even dumbells. 40 lb dumbells even bother it.....Weird thing is military press don't bother my shoulders at all.

How about decline press... Does it bother your shoulder?

Well, being 58 years old, I'm definitely in the same situation as you. I have went to a high volume/high rep scheme with medium weights, and my joints love me for it!!! At this point in my life, longevity is more critical than constantly trying to move heavy weight.

Thinking of going back and starting over. Now keeping in mind that because of my age squats and bench are now out due to various reasons. So I'll replace squats with leg press and Bench with weighted dips. Here is my plan and need your comments on it please. Main exercise will be 10 sets including warm up with a 3 set auxiliary exercise.

T.O.M. I praise you for still being in the gym, you can probably run circles around the young ones. I hope when I reach your age (in 10 yrs) I'm still in the gym. Good luck. :)

Tough

What's your rep scheme for those ten sets or just go by feel each workout?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
I plan on pyramiding up and down. Maybe something like (after warm up of 3 sets) 12,8,6,3,7,4,8. 10 total sets including warm ups. Really not sure as I will go by feel. Declines on bench also hurt. All forms of benching just destroy me now days regardless of BB or DB benching.

I plan on pyramiding up and down. Maybe something like (after warm up of 3 sets) 12,8,6,3,7,4,8. 10 total sets including warm ups. Really not sure as I will go by feel. Declines on bench also hurt. All forms of benching just destroy me now days regardless of BB or DB benching.

I have wrecked myself going HIT! I really wish I could convince you to try a high rep workout. Four sets of twenty, trying to fail your self between 17 and twenty is working well for me now. Three different exercises per body part. It cut way back on joint pain and builds pumps that are painful. With painful joints, rub them and work them like a deep muscle massage before even doing the warm up sets helps too.

No matter what you decide, good luck!

I have wrecked myself going HIT! I really wish I could convince you to try a high rep workout. Four sets of twenty, trying to fail your self between 17 and twenty is working well for me now. Three different exercises per body part. It cut way back on joint pain and builds pumps that are painful. With painful joints, rub them and work them like a deep muscle massage before even doing the warm up sets helps too.

Would this be good while trying to cut and trying to maintain what little muscle I have now. I'd like to keep my Bodyweight the same (226) and drop B/F. I also started a cycle last wed with Test and EQ, pinning EOD.My diet is eat when hungry nothing but Proteins, fruit and green veggies, keeping protein up.

Last edited:
Well, being 58 years old, I'm definitely in the same situation as you. I have went to a high volume/high rep scheme with medium weights, and my joints love me for it!!! At this point in my life, longevity is more critical than constantly trying to move heavy weight.
Huge Bump!!! I'm also 58. And although I don't really do high volume. It's higher than it's ever been, and so are my reps. Tendons and joint pains are now very mild.

The HIT and DC style training were becoming dead ends for me. Just a few years ago it had gotten to the point that I was having to lay off some body part due to some joint or tendon being in extreme pain. And it was keeping me up through the night.

Very often it took 2-5 week to heal. That had me agonizing over how I would ever continue to train, as it seemed that all my favorite exercises were leading to some form or another of painful nights. During the day I could ignore them. But not when I was lying still and trying to relax.

Another problem I see for me would be the weighted dips. No way could I get close to 20 reps hanging additional weight off me. The other exercises no problem including deads. What would you suggest for the weighted dips. Lower then 20 reps maybe like 12-15

Well

Another problem I see for me would be the weighted dips. No way could I get close to 20 reps hanging additional weight off me. The other exercises no problem including deads. What would you suggest for the weighted dips. Lower then 20 reps maybe like 12-15

High reps, low reps, bla................its about healing joints and muscles...........you need to look into CJC/GHRP combo,,,,,,,that will solve all your probs..........because its NOT the routine

High reps, low reps, bla................its about healing joints and muscles...........you need to look into CJC/GHRP combo,,,,,,,that will solve all your probs..........because its NOT the routine
Hahaha!!! You just killed this thread!

...and I'm not going with CJC/GHRP. It may exactly as you say, ..."bla". But I'm sticking with the higher reps because my tendons are stupid enough to think they actually hurt less.

Thats fine

Hahaha!!! You just killed this thread!

...and I'm not going with CJC/GHRP. It may exactly as you say, ..."bla". But I'm sticking with the higher reps because my tendons are stupid enough to think they actually hurt less.

BUT, I guarantee you will be a lesser version of yourself.....from this past year. You seemed open minded to a radical strategy from Emeric, you closed minded to this.............odd.

CJC/GHRP combo

Phil, would that combo be good for younger guys too? Not too young 35?

And tough old man, I think the basics look good, but how about 3 on 1 off, working everything twice in the week?

Phil, would that combo be good for younger guys too? Not too young 35?

And tough old man, I think the basics look good, but how about 3 on 1 off, working everything twice in the week?
I might give that a try

Ok first time I did weighted dips in a while and it felt good. No pain and nothing to failure.

reps weight
5 B/W
5 B/W
10 10
12 40
8 60
6 70
3 90
7 75
4 85
10 50

Then 3 sets incline flyes

2 set 20 reps ea rope pushdowns (triceps)

Done in 38 minutes

Where did I go wrong. Chest day

Why you doing so many sets (10). Routine looks ok but I would change things. You could do 3 working sets for both exercises each day. Or warm ups progressively going heavier then one working set to complete failure. You could do that for all movements. I would personally do that for the main exercises then do high rep (pumping) sets for the secondary exercises... such as 3 sets of 20 reps.

I don't see the need in doing 10 sets for each main exercise. Maybe do that once per month as a change. So my change for your routine would be...

Mon
Weighted dips- warm ups (upto 5 sets) then 1 working set
Incline Flyes- 3 sets of 20 reps

Tues
Deadlifts- warm ups (upto 5 sets) then 1 working set
Pullups- I would personally change to barbell/db/t-bar row at 3 sets of 20. If you want pull ups just do 3 sets at different grips... easiest grip first

Thurs
Military Press- warm ups (upto 5 sets) then 1 working set
Lateral Raises- 3 sets of 20 reps

I would rotate this order so sometimes do lateral raises first as a pre exhaust. I am doing this now. You won't be able to lift as much on the press but a great approach.

Fri
Leg Press- warm ups (upto 5 sets) then 1 working set
Reverse leg curls- 3 sets of 20 reps

Progressively going heavier or completing more reps. Hope it helps

I might give that a try

No I feel the extra rest will do you good.... Your 4 days per week would produce more results (imo) regarding maintaining muscle whilst losing bodyfat (if diet was the same for both methods).

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131