over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training with 1 Permanently Weak Arm

V-Man

Registered
First of all the reason my left arm is weak is due to a cervical spine problem. Saw all kinds of doctors and the only permanent solution would be to get a foramanotomy where they make the opening the nerve comes out bigger. Due to the risk, recuperation time and taking care of my mother that is not an option yet.

I want to return to lifting again. The main weak area is the tricep. This caused my tricep to shrink and it also effects my chest training.

I think the best way to train is to do everything single. So no barbell exercises. Do the weak arm first then do the same amount with the strong arm.

Anyone else have this problem.

Thanks

well.....how much more weaker are we talking???

a little???or considerable???

give me an example please

Tenny,

It is considerable. But I am not going to let it stop me or keep me out of the gym.

I can still do hams, quads, calves, back, shoulder but no presses, biceps.

Triceps and chest will suffer.

I've been dealt a hard hand in life with a bad heart condition and taking care of my sick mom but I will not give up. I love then gym to much.

Thank you for everything.

ok....i would say flies will be your best friend for chest training
:)
cable, dumbbells, pec-deck.....theres your chest traing routine
right there brother man......dont let it stop you

single arm tricep work (it still has function......no???)

i love the gym too man.....but sometimes i dont think it loves me back:eek:

Since 1995 I have the same condition that you do. Nerve impingement resulting in left side weakness. It really affects my workouts when I do chest and arms; and to a lesser extent my back workouts. I would estimate that I am 10% stronger on my right side. I have learned to just accept the impairment and do the best I can.

ok....i would say flies will be your best friend for chest training
:)
cable, dumbbells, pec-deck.....theres your chest traing routine
right there brother man......dont let it stop you

single arm tricep work (it still has function......no???)

i love the gym too man.....but sometimes i dont think it loves me back:eek:

:yeahthat: I agree with this.. Cables will give you size as well as shape and dumbell flies can help too man..

V, what is the cause of your nerve root irritation? Herniated disc/degeneration or cervical bone spur? Do you know exactly which level(s) ? Have your done any PT at all? Have you seen any improvement at all since this was diagnosed?

Thought I was the only one

Since 1995 I have the same condition that you do. Nerve impingement resulting in left side weakness. It really affects my workouts when I do chest and arms; and to a lesser extent my back workouts. I would estimate that I am 10% stronger on my right side. I have learned to just accept the impairment and do the best I can.

I have the same condition, since I originally damaged the nerve its been about two years. My whole right side started showing atrophy from the waist up, mainly chest tri and some trap. Definately a pain in the ass to watch your strength drop on one side and basically eliminating barbell work. Personally I took 6-9 months off I had deep tissue massages and weekly visits to the chiro nothing helped except time off and I'm still not completely healed.

First of all the reason my left arm is weak is due to a cervical spine problem. Saw all kinds of doctors and the only permanent solution would be to get a foramanotomy where they make the opening the nerve comes out bigger. Due to the risk, recuperation time and taking care of my mother that is not an option yet.

I want to return to lifting again. The main weak area is the tricep. This caused my tricep to shrink and it also effects my chest training.

I think the best way to train is to do everything single. So no barbell exercises. Do the weak arm first then do the same amount with the strong arm.

Anyone else have this problem.

Thanks
I have noticed that I have one side stronger than the other......as I am sure most people are aware that they have one side a little stronger than the other.......anyhow......I seem to favor db work for arms and delts......in an effort to let each side work independently.....I will use a bar from time to time......but unilateral training is a good way to balance things out.....best of luck to you on your recovery!

Last edited:
The surgery to correct these problems is not bad at all.

The longer you delay in alleviating the inflammation and pressure on the nerve, the more likely that the damage will be permanant.

You should consider the surgery.

V, what is the cause of your nerve root irritation? Herniated disc/degeneration or cervical bone spur? Do you know exactly which level(s) ? Have your done any PT at all? Have you seen any improvement at all since this was diagnosed?

Yes there's a narrowing where the nerve comes out of the column.

To make a long story short
I switched to a PCP with sports medicine background. Tried chiropractor. Had spinal injection even though I have no pain to decrease inflammation, tried drug gabapentin. Doing physical therapy to strengthen my neck and triceps.

Finally went to see a neurologist. The only permanent solution is surgery called a foramenotomy where they make the opening larger. If it gets worse causes a lot of pain or really bothers me I will get it done. But spine surgery is tricky there is a risk it will get worse or paralysis if they make a mistake.

So with no real bad pain I'm trying to get back in the gym.

Also today tried a chiropractor who specializes in ART, active release technique. Learned about this from masters bodybuilder Durlan Castro who is a chiro.

I went and he did an evaluation he said he could feel some problem areas. So he gave me a treatment.

He used his hands and went deep into my arm muscle, moved my arm and hands in different directions pressing on the nerve. He said he could feel he was breaking some things up. Also went deep into the arm pit. When he presses and holds it hurts but it actually feels good. I will see how it is tomorrow and maybe try one or two more I can't do a lot cause I
am paying out of pocket.

Anyone else try ART.

Powerlifter Jason Pegg has an arm that was hurt in combat. You can read his logs, articles etc at elitefts.com.

The surgery to correct these problems is not bad at all.

The longer you delay in alleviating the inflammation and pressure on the nerve, the more likely that the damage will be permanant.

You should consider the surgery.

Thanks bro. I do have an appt with a neurosurgeon just to learn more about it. True a foramenotomy is not as serious as say a spinal fusion.

I only got my mom and she is sick and I take care of her. So I don;t really have a support system to help me when I'm laid up. From the web it says no driving for 2 weeks and return to work in 4 weeks.

I will see and thanks for responding.

Going through this problem now!

I can't believe i found a thred on this.
I am seeing a chiropractor tomorrow.
My right tricep became weaker 2 weeks ago for no apparent reason that I could think of..Just one day I Lost 50% of my strength. Scares the heck out of me.
Starting with chiropractor then acupuncture. If no progress I will see a neurosurgeon.

believer - go to the surgeon & get an MRI now. Nerve root compression serious enough to cause motor-neuron disruption can and may become permanent after approx. 6 weeks - repaired or not. I did the same thing as you. My surgery was in the 6th week and over 2 years later I still have a 10% deficit with my repair. My surgeon says I am very lucky - originally it was a 70% deficit.
If you are at the 2 week mark now - at best you are looking at 2-3 more weeks before all your tests, insurance approval & then scheduled for surgery. Don't wait.

To the OP - unilateral work is the way to go.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131