over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question to Phil - Range of Motion

Registered
Phil,

as far as I remember you are not one of the "use complete range of motion"guys. Neither have I.

After watching some Branch Warren videos, I felt the need to ask you this question, I hope you can answer it with respect to your business.

Which part of the motion do you prefer? A good example would be the squat.
I personally go down a little lower than parallel and only go halfway up. This would be the weakest part of the squat.

Is that similar to your style or would you rather prefer the top half, as more weight can be used and the tension is pretty much on the quads only?

Military Press as another example: Lower half - less weight, top half - more weight, but in this case there is also more tricep involvement.

How do you do it?

Your answer is much appreciated!!!!

excellent question.....

i too am interested to hear what Phil has to say regarding range of motion.

So it seems like he goes for a limited range of motion, using the strongest part... The MP was just used as an example, I know he is not a fan of too much direct shoulder work... :)

How about things like Incline Presses, though? The top his the triceps so much more than chest....

I have adapted my chest training to somthing along the lines of what i read from Phil once , work in the range of motion where you feel the muscle working.
I still squat to the bottow but thats where i feel most comfortable as that the way i ahve always done it , but i'm thinking about trying partial squats just to use alot more weight.

I stopped military presses and now my bench press is stronger than ever. I just stick to side laterals and up right raises now. Plus less shoulder problems, too.

no

no to inclines. For Chest, only Dips or Declines. You trying to eliminate Shoulder injuries, Inclines put the shoulder at risk.

Nice Pic 245!

I love inclines. The trick is not to use too much of an incline. I get a better pump from inclines than straight benches.

I love inclines. The trick is not to use too much of an incline. I get a better pump from inclines than straight benches.

me too . I use the lowest incline possible and lower the bar to about an inch and a half from my chest.

So it seems like he goes for a limited range of motion, using the strongest part... The MP was just used as an example, I know he is not a fan of too much direct shoulder work... :)

How about things like Incline Presses, though? The top his the triceps so much more than chest....

Whatever ROM you are using appears to be working for you and that is what counts.

thanks, I appreciate the kind words. We all can still learn a lot though and I would love to hear what someone like Phil with a huge amount of clients has to say about that issue.

BTW, inclines were just an example :) if you wanna use dips, it's the same thing, though: top half will be mostly triceps, lower half won't let you use as much weight :)

dips

On dips, the range of motion: If you lean forward, keeping your feet crossed and back you will shift the focus more on chest away from tricep, no matter how low you go. Stick to 80% range of motion!!! Not locking out, but also not going all the way down...keep motion up and down, no pausing or stopping,,,just the way I do it.

On dips, the range of motion: If you lean forward, keeping your feet crossed and back you will shift the focus more on chest away from tricep, no matter how low you go. Stick to 80% range of motion!!! Not locking out, but also not going all the way down...keep motion up and down, no pausing or stopping,,,just the way I do it.

Do you do the same for tris as well?

Tri's

For Tris I lean slightly back, feet forward or just straight under.
For chest I hang the weight in front off me, for tri I keep the weight between my legs.
Hope this helps.

For Tris I lean slightly back, feet forward or just straight under.
For chest I hang the weight in front off me, for tri I keep the weight between my legs.
Hope this helps.

But the same range of motion for tris?

Oh

I don't go down as far. So it looks like a half rep without locking out at top.

But if I'm doin dips for chest, I try to do a different movement a couple days later for tris, so this would be close grip bench for me

Last edited:
He probably isnt going to answer you.. But in his youtube videos.. He does full range of motion for most things and access motion in my opinion.. His dumbell raises he brings the damn dumbell all they up straight above his head... I dont agree with this motion at all.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131