over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Artificial sweeteners and insulin release

The Wolf

Kilo Klub Member
And don't those health food store guys piss you off?

I was arguing with a guy from Holland and Barret about Splenda and why they don't sell and he told me that it I'm better off taking real sugar as artificial sweeteners still release insulin. I told him that if thats the case then everybody that does a low carb diet and takes sweetener would be on coma because if your body triggers insulin then you need carbs to back it up. The guy was being a pain in the ass and following me around the store and trying to give me diet advice, like I asked for that skinny pricks advice. He was telling me how I should avoid sweet potatoes as its a starch. What a muppet! There are three carbs that I use, oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes and I get really good results with them.

Anyway back to the subject, I did a little research and found out he may have a point with sweeteners. If thats the case and Im getting an insulin release and then maybe I take a protein shake which would then be transported to the muscles right away? I don't know...I was arguing with a guy from Holland and Barret about Splenda and why they don't sell and he told me that it I'm better off taking real sugar as artificial sweeteners still release insulin. I told him that if thats the case then everybody that does a low carb diet and takes sweetener would be on coma because if your body triggers insulin then you need carbs to back it up. The guy was being a pain in the ass and following me around the store and trying to give me diet advice, like I asked for that skinny pricks advice. He was telling me how I should avoid sweet potatoes as its a starch. What a muppet! There are three carbs that I use, oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes and I get really good results with them.

Anyway back to the subject, I did a little research and found out he may have a point with sweeteners. If thats the case and Im getting an insulin release and then maybe I take a protein shake which would then be transported to the muscles right away? I don't know...

while I think the spike might be very minute in comparison to non artificials, I don't think you have much to worry about in that aspect. I personally stay away from artificial sweeteners for other reasons, imo stick with stevia

Fact is they are almost calorie free and the insulin spike is to small to even be any concern.

The sucralose itself does not raise the blood glucose
It's the maltodextrin they put in. It doesn't count as a sugar - legally speaking. Sneaky bastards...:mad:

Fat people drink diet sodas so I don't. Not scientifically based at all but it makes sense to me. lol

The maltodextrine or dextrose used on artificial sweeteners is just a bulking agent. If they didn't use those, the sweetener would be microscopic and make packaging and dosing impossible. The amount of malto or dextrose in each serving works out to less than 1 calorie. So yes, you would get the same insulin spike that you would get from 1 calorie of sugar which would be almost nothing since its only 1 calorie.

Don't sweat the small stuff!!

I could see it affecting your diet, especially in a keto phase, if you're pounding back packets and packets of splenda with every meal. 2 in your morning coffee? I don't think it'll have much of an effect personally, and more importantly, that little sweetened taste should help you avoid cravings for the real stuff. That's my theory, anyway. The lesser of two evils.

Also, google artificial sweeteners + estrogen.

Explains why the fat guys who drink diets can have killer gyno...LOL

All seriousness though, I tend to avoid all the artificals for the most part. Worst case, like when drinking iced tea when out eating somewhere, I'll go for splenda... I think its safe to say everybody knows you just cant stir reg sugar into iced tea lol

I used to train some of those workers and your totally right. Although they can have some good knowledge but most are clueless. They have to go on training courses and there is lots of useful info available but at the end of the day they are shop workers and most aren't bothered about health and nutrition etc. The worst ones are the ones who do like the gym and they usually have an inch of info and run a mile with it. Sometimes their advice can come from a truth but with anything there are many possible outcomes.

Most of them remind me of the 19 year old skinny gym instructors you get in most commercial gyms. My gf wanted a boost and some protein after the gym so she got a maximuscle diet bar. Not great but they can be useful from time to time... especially if you love chocolate like she does! Anyway this muppet starts telling her how caffeine is bad due to cortisol release and you should never take it if your serious about the gym! He didn't know I was with her and listening to his crap... trying to flirt with her at the same time. Anyway I just go through a few of the many reasons caffeine is a great drug. Sure most things have negatives but the cortisol release is minimal.

I walked into a GNC store and I had some idiot try and give me diet advice and how to bulk up (I was looking for a weightgainer). This lad was half my size. I am usually very polite but it annoys me so much I had a laugh with it. Saying stuff like oh is that what you use then. I will have to get some then cos I would love to get to your size.

Anyway to your original point! I would just keep things the same. I don't mind using sugar first thing in the morning or after my workout. I try to keep sweetners to a minimal but I am not afraid of them (far worst things that many of us take). If I remember correctly (and looking at your pic) your diet is really good and obviously working so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hey haribo is an occasional little treat for after a workout... bad I know :)

Last edited:
I used to train some of those workers and your totally right. Although they can have some good knowledge but most are clueless. They have to go on training courses and there is lots of useful info available but at the end of the day they are shop workers and most aren't bothered about health and nutrition etc. The worst ones are the ones who do like the gym and they usually have an inch of info and run a mile with it. Sometimes their advice can come from a truth but with anything there are many possible outcomes.

Most of them remind me of the 19 year old skinny gym instructors you get in most commercial gyms. My gf wanted a boost and some protein after the gym so she got a maximuscle diet bar. Not great but they can be useful from time to time... especially if you love chocolate like she does! Anyway this muppet starts telling her how caffeine is bad due to cortisol release and you should never take it if your serious about the gym! He didn't know I was with her and listening to his crap... trying to flirt with her at the same time. Anyway I just go through a few of the many reasons caffeine is a great drug. Sure most things have negatives but the cortisol release is minimal.

I walked into a GNC store and I had some idiot try and give me diet advice and how to bulk up (I was looking for a weightgainer). This lad was half my size. I am usually very polite but it annoys me so much I had a laugh with it. Saying stuff like oh is that what you use then. I will have to get some then cos I would love to get to your size.

Anyway to your original point! I would just keep things the same. I don't mind using sugar first thing in the morning or after my workout. I try to keep sweetners to a minimal but I am not afraid of them (far worst things that many of us take). If I remember correctly (and looking at your pic) your diet is really good and obviously working so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hey haribo is an occasional little treat for after a workout... bad I know :)

Those guys at the health shops are just idiots, the fool didnt want to let me shop in piece! Anyway I might be entering a competition in March/April if Im lean enough, if not I will carry on dieting until the end of summer with maybe the monthly treat. Thats the reason Im cutting out sugar, having said that I have just ordered some Stevia online and cant wait to have it with my porridge and cinamon. Yum Yum. :D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131