YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Iliotibial Band Syndrome (IBTS or IBTFS) Rehab?

shreddingax

Registered
Iliotibial band syndrome (band is on the outside of the thigh, from the hip to the knee)(ITBS or ITBFS, for iliotibial band friction syndrome) is a common injury to the thigh, generally associated with running, cycling, hiking or weight-lifting (especially squats).

That's what it is, my issue is where the IT band connects to the hip (outer upper thigh). It's a sharp sensation when ever I squat, i've been greatly reduced to the amount of weight I workout w/. I feel it even when squatting down on the toilet. I have tried RICE and in general just time off. Went almost 3 months w/o any leg routines and still no different. Lately I have been hitting my leg-press every morning (super light weight) to stretch the legs, this seems to be helping.

Guess my question for anyone suffering or once up on a time suffered from, how do you rehab this major PIA? :banghead:

I would invest in a foam roller. Get one that has some good stiffnes, but not to hard. Elitefts has many to choose from. I use one almost everyday for the legs and back. Worth every penny.

Good luck

Iliotibial band syndrome (band is on the outside of the thigh, from the hip to the knee)(ITBS or ITBFS, for iliotibial band friction syndrome) is a common injury to the thigh, generally associated with running, cycling, hiking or weight-lifting (especially squats).

That's what it is, my issue is where the IT band connects to the hip (outer upper thigh). It's a sharp sensation when ever I squat, i've been greatly reduced to the amount of weight I workout w/. I feel it even when squatting down on the toilet. I have tried RICE and in general just time off. Went almost 3 months w/o any leg routines and still no different. Lately I have been hitting my leg-press every morning (super light weight) to stretch the legs, this seems to be helping.

Guess my question for anyone suffering or once up on a time suffered from, how do you rehab this major PIA? :banghead:

Try this...

This can be very painful... never experienced it myself but have worked with some who have...

The muscle is the tensor fascia lata and connects to the IT band, it serves to internally rotate the thigh... place your hand on the outside of your hip then, with your leg straight, turn your foot inwards, you should feel the muscle contract.

To stretch: can be tricky... on a table, lay on your unaffected side, flex your unaffected hip uptowards your chest while also bending at the knee... this allows your affected leg to "drop down" past midline and places a stretch on the ITB, let it externally rotate.

**broken link removed**

For the band itself, that can be hard also as the band is not very pliable... if you have someone available, some deep, HARD massage up and down the band can help (haha, even using a rolling pin is good).

Good luck

Thanks for the replies. Outside of the stretching and messaging, can it be rehabilitated? I have worked it intensely w/ stretching and messaging and it seems to get better. Then i will do a leg routine, feels good. Do another leg routine feels good, then do another and bam same BS (I space leg routines out every 6 - 10 days depending on how I feel, no more splits at my age:(). Thanks for any input fellas.

Good one...

I would invest in a foam roller. Get one that has some good stiffnes, but not to hard. Elitefts has many to choose from. I use one almost everyday for the legs and back. Worth every penny.

Good luck

You were typing this as I was typing mine, didn't see this... yes, good suggestion!

It's Like Antibiotic Therapy...

Thanks for the replies. Outside of the stretching and messaging, can it be rehabilitated? I have worked it intensely w/ stretching and messaging and it seems to get better. Then i will do a leg routine, feels good. Do another leg routine feels good, then do another and bam same BS (I space leg routines out every 6 - 10 days depending on how I feel, no more splits at my age:(). Thanks for any input fellas.

When people take antibiotics, they often stop after they start to feel better and try to save some for when they get sick again... the problem is that the bacteria wasn't entirely killed off b/c they didn't run the full course... rehab can be similar... a person has an injury, they rehab it, it feels better, they stop, go back to usual.... and then bam, again.

Like an idiot, I do it all the time with my tricky lower back... I rehab it a few times, it gets better, I stop and then I get hit all over again, duh!

- Keep up the rehab for a couple months after it feels better
- Also examine your foot placement and form in exercising... an injury can keep re-occurring b/c of poor treatment as noted above and/or poor (though subtle) form (My Mom's saying: If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten)

When people take antibiotics, they often stop after they start to feel better and try to save some for when they get sick again... the problem is that the bacteria wasn't entirely killed off b/c they didn't run the full course... rehab can be similar... a person has an injury, they rehab it, it feels better, they stop, go back to usual.... and then bam, again.

Like an idiot, I do it all the time with my tricky lower back... I rehab it a few times, it gets better, I stop and then I get hit all over again, duh!

- Keep up the rehab for a couple months after it feels better
- Also examine your foot placement and form in exercising... an injury can keep re-occurring b/c of poor treatment as noted above and/or poor (though subtle) form (My Mom's saying: If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten)

Very true bro, that is some sound logic.... Thanks

Have you gone to a physio with it? I just discovered I had an injury (trochlea notch in patella not tracking with trochlea notch in femur - basically knee cap wearing down cartilage due to overdevelopment of outer quads and lack of fascial stretching so IT band was extremely dense and unflexible).

I was same and just tried resting which was wrong thing to do. Now receiving (painful) treatment for it and doing stretching and basic rehab exercises.

For my IT band I was recommended to stand against a wall (or similar) with heels a few inches off ground and gradually bend (one leg at a time) til toe touched ground then up again. It isolates IT band and teardrop nicely.

Should go to a physio (perferably who weight trains) to see what caused it and how you can recover, I'm just annoyed I waited so long and caused more damage.

I had it flare up before. Stretch like a MOFO, get some ART done on it and strengthen muscle imbalances. I stretch them every leg workout to this day.

I had it flare up before. Stretch like a MOFO, get some ART done on it and strengthen muscle imbalances. I stretch them every leg workout to this day.

Dragon, how or what did you do to strengthen muscle imbalances? Also, what is ART?

screw the foam roller, here's what ya do:

buy 3 tennis balls and shove em into a sock, then tie the top of the sock off and use that as a foam roller instead, works muuuuch better.

screw the foam roller, here's what ya do:

buy 3 tennis balls and shove em into a sock, then tie the top of the sock off and use that as a foam roller instead, works muuuuch better.

Nice alternative... Thanks

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity