advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

You think its cheating to much to standup and rock doing shoulder fylies.

mitochondria

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
obviously you can get more weight that way, but i do start by standing and kepping still at first but throw in a couple rocks towards the end. I know some people only do em sitting down to not rock em up, should i start sitting down to do them or is it no big deal? how do you do em, i see johniee jackson rocking em standing up with like 150s

I find it better to cheat, but do heavier weights, than to do "perfect form" with lighter weight. Because as you are lifting that weight, you'll give a little rock to get it up, and then you will be forcing at 100% to keep that thing up, where as with a lighter weight you will probably not be forcing 100% since it wont be your max rep.

You don't ever compromise form for weight! Try sitting on a shoulder press bench, lean back in the bench, opposite hand grabbing the bench and use a 30lb dumbbell with the other hand and break parellel, one arm at a time! Slow down your reps and slow on the return!

You don't ever compromise form for weight! Try sitting on a shoulder press bench, lean back in the bench, opposite hand grabbing the bench and use a 30lb dumbbell with the other hand and break parellel, one arm at a time! Slow down your reps and slow on the return!

Please inform Branch Warren of this, he's doing it all wrong!!! :eek:

really? ever watch arnold do standing bicep curls?

cheating on the last few reps is a way to give yourself a forced rep or 2. going to failure, forcing the weight up, and fighting the eccentric contraction on the way down is a tried and true method to develop strength and size

I cannot progress in weight on this particular movement without a little cheating. Once I get used to the heavier weight, I use good form and keep increasing reps until moving up to a bigger weight and cheating again.

A little body english at the end of a set to get a couple extra reps is vert effective. Just don't over do it and get injured.

IMHO...you got do it only on the last few reps.

cheating on the last few reps is a way to give yourself a forced rep or 2. going to failure, forcing the weight up, and fighting the eccentric contraction on the way down is a tried and true method to develop strength and size

you nailed my question on the spot, i should have known that

you want to stay as strict on form for as long as you can
as you get heavier in the rack, you will start needing to add those "cheat reps" to the last few
but if you are swinging every rep (looking like a bird trying to take off) you are fooling yourself into thining you are actually lifting the weight (but not fooling anyone else)
When I am doing them regularly, once I hit the 50's -55's, my last half of the set is pretty loose, so after one or two of those, I back off and fail with a lighter weight

ding...ding...ding...ding...ding...ding...we have a winner:headbang:

Yeah you go girl...lol X2

I agree with the rocking as well..feels good. Although, I get every trainer in the gym giving me the stink eye for it. As long as the entire action is smooth ie; don't fling the weight up (keep arm strong..saves the elbow) and the essentric motion is controlled (don't let the weight just fall back to your body). Be careful with your rotator cuff as well. Going to far above the shoulder can potentially cause a lot of problems.

I agree with the rocking as well..feels good. Although, I get every trainer in the gym giving me the stink eye for it. As long as the entire action is smooth ie; don't fling the weight up (keep arm strong..saves the elbow) and the essentric motion is controlled (don't let the weight just fall back to your body). Be careful with your rotator cuff as well. Going to far above the shoulder can potentially cause a lot of problems.

ive found that i usually try to bring my shoulders up as high as they can go, cuz they seem to stop you anyway at the 90 degree mark anyway and this could depend on both of our forms

I am so excited to be able to do these without pain, that I'm ultra careful with my motion. I to take more of a "time under tension" approach without the "Big" pull or momentum motion required as I reach top weights for me. The burning is intense with the more controlled approach for me.

I truly don't know what leads to more growth but common sense would be heavier poundages with only "cheatin" and "rockin" toward the end to do the equivalent of forced or spotted reps. More of a hybrid approach I suppose. I think we too oftern think the answer is "either or" rather than a comination answer. I just don't have the guts to do it just yet while enjoying a "goldilocks" period of no shoulder pain.

When I do them strict I get massive shoulder pain, with some bobbing no pain at all. Strict is not necessarily better.

Take a look at a 'strict' row movement you see in many of the exercise explanation vids, if you do them 'strict' your basically doing a half assed bicep drag curl.

I cannot progress in weight on this particular movement without a little cheating. Once I get used to the heavier weight, I use good form and keep increasing reps until moving up to a bigger weight and cheating again.

Exactly. I mix it up with lighter and strict form too.

i swing from the first rep....had some skinny trainer come up to me just the other day to tell me about how my form was wrong, and to keep it strict, blah, blah, blah....

i can use heavier weights and my shoulders get far more pumped and sore by adding a bit swing to the movement. thats not to say the my form is sloppy by an means. eccentric is controlled, and i "squeeze" it at the top

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear