advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pressing movements losing strength, nerve impingement?

richiec

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I remember reading a while back about what TheBrick had gone through with his nerve impingement making his bicep strength decline. Well, for the past week, my right lat feels very week and like it's strained, but no pain. While doing incline bb press, my poundage is down and the reps are down as well. Same applies for any type of shoulder press.

I don't know if this is caused by a nerve being pinched or if my lat is just strained and I need to take a week off or so. I called my chiro tonight after the gym and am going to see him tomorrow.

Anybody have any thoughts on what this could be, or anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

I'd see a massage therapist and possible a good sports ortho too. If you get adjusted/massaged but don't fix the problem it'll just happen again.

Good idea, I gotta do something

I know with the couple nerve issues I had on my ulnar nerves, aka funny bone, you should have some kind of sensation like pins and needles burning feeling or the numb feeling.. at least I did.

my prob was mainly do from various exercises/range of motion effecting my body mechanics and the added pump on muscles somehow constricting the nerves, like too narrow of grip on skull crushers or even heavy dumbell overhead extenstions using both hands and having narrow grip pretty much gets me everytime..

I would think if you have just overall weakness but no sensations then more than likely is just a strain/sprain on the soft tissue and a massage with definitely lighter training or just taking complete break is required. I definitely understand your frustrations though with the backwards injuries effecting other lifts... had similar problem with pressing movements after injuring my bicep...a little rough housing got carried away so had a bruised and strained bi that I couldnt press for shit for at least a couple weeks since it was relied upon so much for stabilizing...

^ thanks man, I think I just need to take it easy. It does feel like it is a slight strain and a break would be nice.

The thing is, it doesn't bother me, I can't "feel" it when not lifting. When I bend over to pick something up with my right arm, it feels tight like there is a knot there

Google a book called PAIN FREE.

Also make sure you are doing the pulling movements with as much intensity as the pressing movements, (that is if you aren"t already)>

Ak

^ my pulling movements are of equal intensity if not greater

As I said, I have no pain so that book will not help me

There are a few members very qaulified to answer questions like this.One is a Doctor of Osteopath,a few of us Chiros,and a couple others.As I found out it isn't worth trying to help as all you get is people arguing that aren't even healthcare providers.Shame they ruin for people really wanting answers from people in the know/that deal with these issues for a living .:(
Good luck

I remember reading a while back about what TheBrick had gone through with his nerve impingement making his bicep strength decline. Well, for the past week, my right lat feels very week and like it's strained, but no pain. While doing incline bb press, my poundage is down and the reps are down as well. Same applies for any type of shoulder press.

I don't know if this is caused by a nerve being pinched or if my lat is just strained and I need to take a week off or so. I called my chiro tonight after the gym and am going to see him tomorrow.

Anybody have any thoughts on what this could be, or anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have been through this. There are many possible causes.
For me it is a herniated disc at c5-c6. When it swells i lose strenth in tricep and shoulder.
Neck traction, prednisone, ice, ibuprofin etc.
Good luck with this

There are a few members very qaulified to answer questions like this.One is a Doctor of Osteopath,a few of us Chiros,and a couple others.As I found out it isn't worth trying to help as all you get is people arguing that aren't even healthcare providers.Shame they ruin for people really wanting answers from people in the know/that deal with these issues for a living .:(
Good luck

So what would you say/recommend? It actually is worth trying to help because screw the people arguing, the people asking for help will take any advice/recommendations

For me it is a herniated disc at c5-c6. When it swells i lose strenth in tricep and shoulder.
Good luck with this

I had a pinch/strain in my neck a week or so earlier, that could have been a start maybe? What did you do to help with this?

PAIN FREE is the title.

It deals with posture alignment in all joints but works great for neck and shoulder development problems?injuries incured by athletes.

Ive recommend it to many clients with great success. Even those where surgery was recommend.

Ak

Good luck with this

Knucklehead, my MRI showed also showed problems at C5-C6 for me. Mine is manifesting itself in bicep, delt weakness on the left side. I have no herniated discs, but I do have bone spurs from cervical degeneration. Initially I was blaming my years of lifting, but they tell me that 15+ years of working all day, every day at the computer can create neck issues as well. And you are right, neck traction, prednisone, Mobic and Gabapentin has helped tremendously. I sure have become more aware of neutral head positioning since this happened, especially when working at my monitor.

Last edited:
i am suffering one in my shoulder. my bench is going down a lot, as well as overhead press. i don't do incline much but im sure its down too. I can't control the negatives and am not explosive. The doctor told me to do nuetral dumbell presses with 50% for a few weeks so we'll see how it goes. I did close grip floor press today which was a bad idea, i should of waited longer it gave me pain

I had/have that due to front delt problems. I couldn't progress on bench or military press. Finally I strained my front delt real good and figured out I was overtraining it.

What I ended up doing was eliminating all overhead pressing movements. Decline bench uses less front delt so I did that for a while and the weights went back up. Any time I tried adding some scott style presses (less front delt than usual) or something it went right back down.

After about 4 weeks of that I settled on incline, flat bench on seperate days and no front pressing at all. Works great and I don't think overhead presses are needed. I stick to upright rows and laterals.

What you're describing sounds like overtraining of the front delt to me.

Knucklehead, my MRI showed also showed problems at C5-C6 for me. Mine is manifesting itself in bicep, delt weakness on the left side. I have no herniated discs, but I do have bone spurs from cervical degeneration. Initially I was blaming my years of lifting, but they tell me that 15+ years of working all day, every day at the computer can create neck issues as well. And you are right, neck traction, prednisone, Mobic and Gabapentin has helped tremendously. I sure have become more aware of neutral head positioning since this happened, especially when working at my monitor.

You know what Brick? Same story wtih me. Know trama that I can recall. My doc said it's most likely related to my head position looking at my monitor all day.I tend to lean forward on my elbows while keyboarding and tilt my head back. Now I raise the monitors up and try to sit back more frequently.

PAIN FREE is the title.

It deals with posture alignment in all joints but works great for neck and shoulder development problems?injuries incured by athletes.

Ive recommend it to many clients with great success. Even those where surgery was recommend.

Ak

Thanks bro, I will look into it. I looked it up on Amazon and the front said something about chronic pain, so I assumed it was for just that. But we all know what happens when one assumes!

You know what Brick? Same story wtih me. Know trama that I can recall. My doc said it's most likely related to my head position looking at my monitor all day.I tend to lean forward on my elbows while keyboarding and tilt my head back. Now I raise the monitors up and try to sit back more frequently.

I'm at a desk all day too. I will try this. I'm taking a week off from the gym to let it try to recoup. I did some rev grip pull downs and my strength was nonexsistent. So I think I need time off and see a chiro.

The things is it isn't overtraining. I'm in MWF, low volume (dc) so I think I'm just going to take some time off

That's exactly what I do. I tilt my head back and lean toward my monitor. Very bad head positioning my PT tells me. They also have told me to take a break every 30 minutes, get up and move so I don't keep in a strained position for long periods of time. My wife comes in and says "you're doing it again" and I am like damn! I am really working on my posture while working these days. Head back, chin slightly tucked.

Thanks bro, I will look into it. I looked it up on Amazon and the front said something about chronic pain, so I assumed it was for just that. But we all know what happens when one assumes!

I'm at a desk all day too. I will try this. I'm taking a week off from the gym to let it try to recoup. I did some rev grip pull downs and my strength was nonexsistent. So I think I need time off and see a chiro.

The things is it isn't overtraining. I'm in MWF, low volume (dc) so I think I'm just going to take some time off

No problem,
it address how posture even in the lower body while sitting, standing, walking, running can cause shoulder and neck issues. It really makes a difference even to how the body heals.

Ak

No problem,
it address how posture even in the lower body while sitting, standing, walking, running can cause shoulder and neck issues. It really makes a difference even to how the body heals.

Ak

I've been to my chiro for the last 2 days and he described something that happened to him and this is the exact same thing! Stabbing pain in rib and next day weakness in lat. He said there's a nerve wrapping around your ribs from the spine, makes sense. He said some people get pain, some weakness, and some get both. He said it should be fine just to take a week off (he adjusted me 2x and have 1 more session)

Good news. :headbang:

gald to hear it. Press on my brother.

Ak

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224