over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

NFL Combine - why do they bench press?

triathloncoach

Featured Member / Kilo Klub / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Board Supporter
Most agree that squats, DL or cleans are more indicative of an athletes strength than the bench press. (Right???) So why do the NFL combine players bench press? Why not have them squat or DL 315 for reps? I dunno.

i think its just a dated standard to measure strength. also, i think there would be a lot of chance of injury if you have ppl blowing out deadlifts and squats when a few extra reps could mean $$$

the question is too vague but it IS an outdated way to test strength.

bench press doesnt translate to on the field strength but 40 dash and pro agility dont translate to the field either. everything is COMPLETELY different with 15lbs of pads on. this is coming from someone who DID his DI school's Pro Day after their season year.

Nothing is wrong with the bench press for testing upper body strength. What else would you purpose for testing upper body strength? However, I highly disagree with the 225 for reps. It should be a 1-3rm.

Bench press is good for upper body.

Nothing is wrong with the bench press for testing upper body strength. What else would you purpose for testing upper body strength? However, I highly disagree with the 225 for reps. It should be a 1-3rm.

There is nothing wrong with using the bench press to test upper body strength. But I would guess they are more interested in overall strength, and I dont think the bench press is the best choice. And the BP is the only lift they test.

I know people with a good bench press that you can knock over with a little push because they have no lower body strength. Granted, these guys are not elite college football players. You could not say that about one with a good squat, DL or clean,

It has been a meaure of upper body strength for many years and I believe it is a matter of tradition at this point. There are many other measures used such as 40 time, agility testing, vo2, etc. It really counts more for the linemen where it translates directly on the field. I personally train many prospective NFL players for this exact lift. Just a direct measure of upper body strength in their eyes. And it is an exciting competition to watch. Larry Allen currently holds the record with I believe off hand to be 42 or so but dont hold me to it (the number). Many lifts (benches) are counted which are not even full ranges of motion per se. Really not to sound arrogant or come off as a dick but at well under 200# right now at 42 I can do 50 @ 225 any day of the week. So then I should be a NFL player right? LOL And paid like one. Like said it is just 1 measure outdated exciting lift to watch and the players really get up for it. Love it when the qb's or punters get 6.;)

Last edited:
Bench press is flat out the best way to measure someones upper body pushing power. I do agree they should do 1 rep max but I'm assuming they don't to avoid injuries.

bench press testing is more a show of upper body power and muscular endurance than strength

I guess since they do all the running drills they need something for the upper body and because everyone knows that bench is the true marker of strength it is used for the test.

Come on, how many times have you met someone or talked to someone about training and the first thing out of their mouth is always the same "How much do you bench"

tradition

Just like TheOtherOne I also did my pro day after football. And as far as bench goes I really dont think they care..I did 28 (not anything to brag about but could squat and clean my ass off) but my friend who starts DE in the NFL only did 12 reps and he is one of the highest paid in the league...a hell of a football player and lots of football smarts, so at this point I think it is just sticking with it for tradition

Just like TheOtherOne I also did my pro day after football. And as far as bench goes I really dont think they care..I did 28 (not anything to brag about but could squat and clean my ass off) but my friend who starts DE in the NFL only did 12 reps and he is one of the highest paid in the league...a hell of a football player and lots of football smarts, so at this point I think it is just sticking with it for tradition

28 is freaking amazing dude! what do you mean "not anything to brag about"?

only ppositions that rep more than that are the linemen, d-line, and some linebackers.

Got news for ya bro- as if ya don't know anyway- thats in the top 90% so congrats my man. How was your 40?

Good shit man. I know what you mean. I played with a great offensive tackle. Big and a ridiculous technician. Could straight SHUT DOWN outside rushers but the dude just couldn't bench. I think he got right around 12 reps too. The bench test really has no indication on HOW GREAT a football player you are. Look at the top benchers every year, 95% of them are nobodies.

just in case anyone's wondering: 34 reps, 5.09 40 and a 34 inch vertical as a Center. :eek:

It is to show their muscle endurance.I went to the combine years ago and did 52 reps with 225 they counted 48 of them and that was by far the best there.My old room mate a few years ago played with the eagles in 06 and was 6'5 360 OL and couldnt bench press 225 10 times.If they did a 1 rep max it would be embarasing for alot of players.

Not to much is put on the bench press anymore, especially for skilled positions. I remember when Peter warrick broke into the league, he could not even get one rep, I believe he was still a top 10 pick.

It is to show their muscle endurance.I went to the combine years ago and did 52 reps with 225 they counted 48 of them and that was by far the best there.My old room mate a few years ago played with the eagles in 06 and was 6'5 360 OL and couldnt bench press 225 10 times.If they did a 1 rep max it would be embarasing for alot of players.

Yeah, if they did 1 rep maxes, most players would make up an injury not to have to do it. (ex. why alot of "speed guys" in the combine have hammy injuries)

you must have gone awhile ago. there was only 1 person in the last 15-20 years to break 50 and that was in 1997 i believe. since then the highest has been 45. only done twice (2000, 2006). even for pro days, there have been MAYBE 3-6 guys get close to 50 in the past 15 years.

It has been a meaure of upper body strength for many years and I believe it is a matter of tradition at this point. There are many other measures used such as 40 time, agility testing, vo2, etc. It really counts more for the linemen where it translates directly on the field. I personally train many prospective NFL players for this exact lift. Just a direct measure of upper body strength in their eyes. And it is an exciting competition to watch. Larry Allen currently holds the record with I believe off hand to be 42 or so but dont hold me to it (the number). Many lifts (benches) are counted which are not even full ranges of motion per se. Really not to sound arrogant or come off as a dick but at well under 200# right now at 42 I can do 50 @ 225 any day of the week. So then I should be a NFL player right? LOL And paid like one. Like said it is just 1 measure outdated exciting lift to watch and the players really get up for it. Love it when the qb's or punters get 6.;)

yea their form is horrible on he bench press at the combine, but the NFL allows it and it enables them to do far more reps than they normally could. They basically drop the weight and bounce it high off their chests

It is just one of the tests the teams do to determine if a prospect has the basic tools for the job. A prospect's film is far more important.

It is just one of the tests the teams do to determine if a prospect has the basic tools for the job. A prospect's film is far more important.

not for the raiders, they pick guys on how fast they run the 40 yrd dash.

i like the colts philosophy:they draft players, not workout warriors, they draft guys who can straight play and who show up on film

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear