over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tazzie's Prep for San Jose Championships

tazzie

Registered
Hello all. Thought I would start a pre-contest thread for what I have ahead of me. However, I thought I would make this one a bit different (yes, I will still post progress pics etc): BUT, rather than focus on sets reps diet etc- which is what we read thread after thread, I thought I might focus on my state of mind and how my pre-contest prep affects my daily life and those around me. I hope this will make it a bit more interesting to follow- cause lets face it.. some really strange shit happens to you when you are prepping for a show and my theory has always been that it is better to laugh about it than cry about it. Plus, I always loved reading Tony's posts.. he really brought those to life with the details and the pictures. I am no Tony, but I will give it a shot.

Some background. Next week, I will be 43 years old. I am married with two boys- ages 7 and 11. We live in Silicon Valley - hence the San Jose Championships and then the Masters Nationals. Professionally, I am a corporate and securities attorney- which really raises some eyebrows when if and when I ever meet other lawyers or my clients for the first time. Because no matter what the intended purpose of the meeting- and it could have been negotiating a multi million dollar transaction- it all goes by the wayside and all they suddenly want to talk about is working out.. it is very comical.

My last show was the SF Championships in 09 and I was very fortunate to have understanding clients and an awesome admin working for me at the time. Because I was pretty much a zombie who could not remember his name the last 4 weeks of the prep- much less remember how to prepare IPO's for review by the SEC. My admin became really skilled at lying about my whereabouts "oh.. he is with a client", when in reality I would be asleep at my desk because I could not sleep at night (and yes, the cause of my sleeplessness at the time rhymed with HEN).

Lets see.. my wife is a big supporter- the total opposite of the "I want to be a bodybuilder" video.. So that makes things easier. I actually have a good training partner for the first time in years, he owns the martial arts studio my boys train at and even though he is in his 50's is really mentally tough and never quits, so he keeps my on my toes- because of course I have to mentally destroy him each and every workout (ahhh. lawyers and thier ego's).

As far as specifics, the diet for the San Jose Championships is going to start March 1 and be 18 weeks (the show is July 9)- a bit longer than necessary- simply because we have a family vacation planned in the middle of the week in Florida (Sanibel Island) and there is no way I am going to pass up opportunity to have fun with my kids. They are going to be gone before I know it, so I want to make sure I am a bit ahead.

The Masters Nationals are 2 weeks after the San Jose and then my wife and I are going to the Carribean for a week- just the two of us.

I have been training (and competing) over 25 years. I competed as a teen and in my very early 20's.. then went to law school, got an MBA and life took over. In fact, I stopped training for about 5 years when my youngest was born.. big mistake, but live and learn. So, the other thing I do hope to get across over the next 20 something weeks is that you don't have to be a "musclehead" to be a good bodybuilder- and you don't have to nor should you sacrifice your education or future.. shows will always be here, but opportunities in your life that you pass up for bodybuilding may not be. Anyways, I don't want this to turn preachy. So, stay tuned and hopefully I will be able to amuse you with anecdotes from my prep. Thanks for tuning in.

hey tazzie .. glad to see you back on stage.. you know i was there the last time.. right by your side bro.. that was sweet! nice posing and for the very short time we worked on the prep you came in lean, mean and dialed in!

I was very happy with the prep bro.. you looked great and can run a posing clinic man... Im really happy to help you all i can... and cant wait to see you back on stage...

Good luck at the San Jose bro. I competed in that show back in 06' - it's an incredible show !!! You'll have fun.

BIC

I admire you for attempting a log on the mental process of a contest prep. I wouldn't want people reading my thoughts!!!! LOL !! Looking forward to following your progress. When you start your prep I will be on my downhill 19 days out!

Ok.. .Time to post a bit more. I can't believe how short tempered I have become and I don't even start my diet for two more weeks.. and this is without the "super supplements".. am I really that much of an asshole? Yeah.. I guess I am. By way of example (and not by way of limitation) I was at Costco yesterday buying chicken, rice, steak eggs etc (yes I know.. worst time to go is on the weekends) and it seemed liked I had stop at every intersection because fat people were lined up 6 deep at the "grazing stations" sampling some kind of fried shit or another. People always told me that I would become mellower as I got older- but what they forgot to mention is that when you get older you get really comfortable in your own skin and really don't give a shit anymore what others may think. So, in my case, I believe I have become the guy who actually tells people the nasty comments that go through his mind whereas, others just think them. I know.. not very zenlike.

Anyways, as I mentioned two weeks to go until I start my prep and I can say I am pretty much mentally ready to go. I had a reasonably productive off season despite some major relocations etc. In addition, I am reasonably injury free so- for the first time in a while. So, all in all I feel pretty good. Weight is around 215. I will post pics in a few weeks so that you can giggle at my tortured physique...

As far as training etc- I generally train 2 days on 1 day off and I am coming to the conclusion that even that might be a bit two much. I think after these shows I am going to stick to a 4 day a week program and leave it at that. I was at my strongest years ago when I only trained 4 days a week. As far as gear, of course I don't use any, have NEVER used any, and WOULD never use any (without a Dr's prescription), but HYPOTHETICALLY, if I did use it, my theory would be to use as little as possible to get the job done. In my hypothetical world this would mean around 500 MG test stacked with an anabolic pre-contest until about 4 weeks out (at which time things changed around) and maybe 250-300 mg test and another 250 or so MG anabolic in the offseason.. but again, this is purely hypothetical. As far as reality, one thing I can say I have never done is any orals.. no dbol- no drol. Too much of a chicken I guess.

After 25+ years of doing this frankly, this is going to be my last contest season (at least that is the lie I tell myself). Win lose or draw this is going to be my Magnum Opus, my Swan Song- so I figure I really want to go out with a bang. There are too many other things I want to do with my life that competetive bodybuilding gets in the way of. For instance, one of my dreams has always been to IronMan the Vegas to Reno off road motorcycle race. Vegas to Reno is the longest point to point offroad motorcycle race in the US. Normally, it is raced in teams, cause desert racing is tough. But they have a division called the Iron Man division for people with serious mental disorders. In the Iron Man division you race the whole race yourself- no team- no relief. Figure about 12-14 hours in the saddle at race pace. As a bodybuilder, I have way to much beef on my body to think about racing dirt bikes. Its not even a power to weight issue as much as it is a cardiovascular issue- If you are overly buffed, no matter how good your cardio is, you are going to get killed on a dirt bike.. then there is the whole arm pump issue.

Anyways, I get distracted.. but my point is that these last shows are my last chance to demonstrate (to myself) what my potential is. So, I hope you guys enjoy the ride along the way.

F"ing Costco. That crap pisses me off too. Prep or offseason. Dosnt matter. I can tell already this is going to be a fun thread!

Yeah between the fat people rushing to get to the grazing stations and the polyester... Costco is a hoot. Its kind of like going to Reno. You know it is going to be slimey, but you go anyways!

Hey Tazzie;
Great that you are doing this. It's interesting to see what goes on in the grey matter while the body is undergoing changes. Funny that you are a lawyer - you would be the only buff lawyer i know... great to see where u are in life too - I'm in a similar spot w/ 2 kids. I'll do my first comp this fall and have no idea what they will think of that. maybe your kids think it's "normal" because you've been into it so long? For me it's just the last few years.

No gear? meaning test...? You referenced something that rhymes with "Hen" and I've never seen that run without test. I'm not judging in any way, just curious.

Good luck on the prep and stay away from the fat ladies at Costco... treat yourself to one of those deep fried chicken pockets they sell there....mmmm about 1000 calories 60% from fat ;-) (Would that be a "dirty" bulk? hahaha

Leanbody - the "no gear" comment was for the benefit of L.E who might be listening in.. Actually my kids have never seen my compete, I might let them go this year.. we will see. But let's be honest- a bodybuilding competition is certainly not a "family environment". In fact, short of a circus, you would be harder pressed to find a larger collection of freaks, deviants and criminals in one spot- and that is the AUDIENCE!

Leanbody - the "no gear" comment was for the benefit of L.E who might be listening in.. Actually my kids have never seen my compete, I might let them go this year.. we will see. But let's be honest- a bodybuilding competition is certainly not a "family environment". In fact, short of a circus, you would be harder pressed to find a larger collection of freaks, deviants and criminals in one spot- and that is the AUDIENCE!
lol
sig material right there

good comment tazzie, i hadn't really thought that through. I was planning to do a contest in soCal and take the family (followed by the magic kingdom) but that might be too wierd for all concerned. And i'm sure I'd be more concerned about them than me...

ok.. so I start my diet in 5 days.. just had my 43rd birthday yesterday. Normally, I am not a big food guy- not really into sweets or junk food but I know that come Monday, when I can't have it for close to 20 weeks, I am going to be like "Wow.. I wish I had XYZ".. so this week I am making sure I get some things in here and there.

In some way, food is like women. If you can have it, it you don't really want it. . It's the women you can't have that you really want. Or that could just be my fucked up way of looking at life...

Training is solid. Strength is going up. Bodyfat is not as low as I would like it, but nothing outrageous. You guys can determine for yourselves when I post pics in the next couple of weeks. Last year- I stayed VERY lean after my show and I noticed my joints hurt- all the time. This year, I am not as lean - (still have abs but nothing crazy) and I feel soooo much better with regard to my joints- even though I am training heavier. So maybe in some sense, being really lean is not always the best thing.. don't know. just throwing it out there.

right now, bodyweight is around 220. I am about 5 foot 7 and a half. But, we all know numbers don't count for shit- it is what you look like that matters. Hope every one is doing well and training hard. Out for now

Happy belated man! Yep during my first prep I kicked myself for not having some of those fatty foods in the offseason. Before this years prep I hit up a couple favorite spots. Added to an eaiser prep for me. Next week it's go time!!!!!!! Can't wait for this thread to develop, oh let's say around 7 weeks out. Gonna be some good shit!!!!

Good luck next week- you are doing the San Diego, right?. Brings back memories- I went to school there. Anyways, I have seen your photos and you should do great. Take care-

Good luck next week- you are doing the San Diego, right?. Brings back memories- I went to school there. Anyways, I have seen your photos and you should do great. Take care-

Ya I meant go time for you next week!! I still am 4 weeks out from the San deigo. Alex has me slowly dialing in and fine tuning. Great spot to be for sure. I hear you on the kids and competing not a family guys sport by any means! I have three under the age of six and a wife that works and runs her own business. So it adds to a difficult prep! As I am sure you know!!

dude right on here. I took my parents to the Arnold one year and they were like wht the hell is wrong with these people. I never went back myself -- just too weird.

Ya I meant go time for you next week!! I still am 4 weeks out from the San deigo. Alex has me slowly dialing in and fine tuning. Great spot to be for sure. I hear you on the kids and competing not a family guys sport by any means! I have three under the age of six and a wife that works and runs her own business. So it adds to a difficult prep! As I am sure you know!!

happy late b day but who cares right tazzie.. im right at your heels in terms of age brother.... also In the same boat with you guys as you know.. the second kid really makes the first that much more work... if you know what i mean... its really crazy... were all in the same boat i guess.. i cant stress enough and jake heard me over and over again. ." take your off season to prepare for this prep" and do a nice long prep so your less stressed at the end.. you want to just coast into the show...

Ughh. Public Service Announcement- training 2 feet in front of the mirrors does not make you stronger. It just makes it difficult for others to get to the dumbbells...

You guys know exactly what I am talking about. I know you must hate it as well... Burns my ass...

PS- the lighting makes you look better around 7 feet away, not 2 feet...

uggh.. diet started today. I forgot how much time it takes to prep food!

Went out with the Mrs. last night for dinner and stupidly had a cup of coffee.. for whatever reason- literally did not sleep all night. I remember that was what it was like the last 6 weeks before the show, but crap.. I'm over 18 weeks out.. can't be starting now- must be the coffee.

Anyways, the alarm goes off at 5 and I roll out of bed. I think to myself at least my training partner will be there.. drink my coffee, take my jack3d and head off to the gym with my stomache doing summersaults..... and... no training partner.

So I throw on my headphones and start training chest.. about 20 minutes later he saunters through the door and heads over. Normally, I don't yell at him too much about his tardiness (he is an 8th degree black belt so I really try to limit the verbal abuse out of self preservation). But by now I feel like death with my stomache and lack of sleep so I let loose with both barrels.. I tell him I have never been late to a sparring session with him or late to one of his classes and he should so some respect.. etc. etc etc. He looks at my and smiles and says "wow.. only the first day. You are going to be a peach in about 10 weeks". We both crack up and end up getting a good workout in..

Must have been the jack3d talking... next time try only 1 scoop...;-)

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear