over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stalling at Start of Deadlift

Alan- What would a rep scheme look like off blocks? I would guess 3-5, but I was curious what you would suggest. I also like the idea of the pause at the bottom. Seems that would help the initial pull off the ground. Thanks for the help Bro.

entirely weight dependant....I did pyramiding, but no more than 8 reps at the lower weight...ALWAYS warm up light too!

some great advice above. I will echo the ideas:

It is a lack of quad strength at the start!

Things to do:

front squats
pulls from a deficit (standing on blocks)
and dead-stop deadlifts (pull one rep, let go of the bar, reset completely and pull your second rep, etc...)

MAYBE leg presses...

Also, try speed pulls.

Things not to do:

Stop doing the "touch and go" style deadlifts. These wont help your strength off of the floor much as they allow you to maintain your stretch reflex while pulling.

Thanks for this thread

I have had the same problem, the last 3 months, and I thought that I had just hit a plateau. I started using a 6 inch block and voila, problem gone in a month! I had to decrease the weights by about 30-60lbs, but in the last week I have been pulling from the floor and I am up 40lbs on my original numbers. I am going to start doing more front squats to see if this aids my lifting as well.

Try front squats to really teach you how to drive with your quads.

Technique: At the start of the lift, arch your back hard and tighten your abs tight.

Do more hamstring and lower back specific work. Also do speed pulls and pull against bands. Those have helped me a lot at the start of the lift.

Try front squats to really teach you how to drive with your quads.

Technique: At the start of the lift, arch your back hard and tighten your abs tight.

Do more hamstring and lower back specific work. Also do speed pulls and pull against bands. Those have helped me a lot at the start of the lift.

Thanks Bro. I just watched Andy Boltons' "The Jack Seminar 2011". He mentioned that the most important thing he considers for improving the DeadLift is speed training. He said it develops expolsiveness at the beginning of the lift, he said if you don't have it, your pulls will suffer. The only thing about the DVD was trying to understand what the heck they were saying. I thought I understood english! I had to rewind it a number of times to put it all together. Well worth the money though. Thanks again for the advice.

I've suffered the same problems in the past. Between doing the platform deads, rack pulls and good mornings, my hips would still fly back instead of driving forward, stalling my starts and killing my lowerback. I solved this by performing a kneeling version of good mornings in the smith machine. knees touching and app. 2 inches behind bar, setup same as a good morning. unrack, keeping a good arch, let the hips move back and lower to almost parallel with floor, then drive up pushing hips back into starting position. helped me concentrate on my hip thrust and position alot. it's awkward at first but rotating this into my core/rotational work is the best thing i've done for my squat and dead numbers. Hope this helps.

I have same problem. My start is iffy though I have a very strong rock bottom pause squat with shoulder width stance....

Oddly enough I feel stronger deadlifting off box and feel faster. Seem to get way better leg drive... does that mean on my regular deadlift perhaps im not sinking my hips deep enough? I tend to use a less tha. Shoulder width stance on deadlift off 3 inch box than off floor... off floor shoulder width. I feel stronger on closer stance raw squats than wide... no equipment....

Since you mentioned watching the Bolton DVD I assume you are looking at this from a strength / powerlifting perspective as in you want to be able to lift more weight. Not a bodybuilding perspective where you are using the dead lift as tool to build back thickness/hams/etc.

You need to figure out what you're weakness is, it could be any number of things:

1) poor-starting position:
is the bar too far over your foot/toes when you start? if so this throws you too far forward and makes you weak of the floor. Are your hips too high? if so this eliminates leg drive and makes you weak off the floor. Are your hips too low? if so this puts you in a bio-mechanically disadvantageous position, and you are weak off the floow.

2) poor quad strength / leg drive strength:
if you dont have the strength to leg drive the bar off the floor, you'll be weak off the floor. Do you feel like the weight wont budge if you try to push with your legs, but that if you shift the weight to your upper back you can get it moving? if so, you need to adress this weekness (front squats, front squats to a low box, close stance SSB squats w/ and w/o a box, leg presses with a DL stance, speed pulls, deficit pulls, etc...)

3) poor low back / ab strength:
Can you not hold a low back arch? if this is a weakness you wont be able to transfer your leg drive towards breaking the bar from the floor. If you lose your arch b/c you cant hold it this is a sign that this area is weak. If you lose your arch only b/c you can budge it with your legs and by rounding your low back and then re-arching you can get the weight then this is actually a strength that you're using to overcome pt #2.... to overcome this you need low back / ab work (hypers, reverse hypers, good mornings, weighted sit ups, etc...)

4) upper back strength:
Similar to #3 rounding of the upper back can either be a sign of strength or a weakness... you can adress with rack pulls, shrugs, rounded back good mornings, seated good mornings, anythign with the SSB. overload work (bands and chains) etcc

No matter what your weakness is absolutely pause each and every rep on the floor. Going touch and go or not all the way down is building nothing but your ego, you are doing what you're good at, and further exacerbating your strength imbalance. Attack your weaknesses until something else becomes a weakness and then attack that. Its a moving target, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link....

Since you mentioned watching the Bolton DVD I assume you are looking at this from a strength / powerlifting perspective as in you want to be able to lift more weight. Not a bodybuilding perspective where you are using the dead lift as tool to build back thickness/hams/etc.

You need to figure out what you're weakness is, it could be any number of things:

1) poor-starting position:
is the bar too far over your foot/toes when you start? if so this throws you too far forward and makes you weak of the floor. Are your hips too high? if so this eliminates leg drive and makes you weak off the floor. Are your hips too low? if so this puts you in a bio-mechanically disadvantageous position, and you are weak off the floow.

2) poor quad strength / leg drive strength:
if you dont have the strength to leg drive the bar off the floor, you'll be weak off the floor. Do you feel like the weight wont budge if you try to push with your legs, but that if you shift the weight to your upper back you can get it moving? if so, you need to adress this weekness (front squats, front squats to a low box, close stance SSB squats w/ and w/o a box, leg presses with a DL stance, speed pulls, deficit pulls, etc...)

3) poor low back / ab strength:
Can you not hold a low back arch? if this is a weakness you wont be able to transfer your leg drive towards breaking the bar from the floor. If you lose your arch b/c you cant hold it this is a sign that this area is weak. If you lose your arch only b/c you can budge it with your legs and by rounding your low back and then re-arching you can get the weight then this is actually a strength that you're using to overcome pt #2.... to overcome this you need low back / ab work (hypers, reverse hypers, good mornings, weighted sit ups, etc...)

4) upper back strength:
Similar to #3 rounding of the upper back can either be a sign of strength or a weakness... you can adress with rack pulls, shrugs, rounded back good mornings, seated good mornings, anythign with the SSB. overload work (bands and chains) etcc

No matter what your weakness is absolutely pause each and every rep on the floor. Going touch and go or not all the way down is building nothing but your ego, you are doing what you're good at, and further exacerbating your strength imbalance. Attack your weaknesses until something else becomes a weakness and then attack that. Its a moving target, but a chain is only as strong as its weakest link....

Thanks for all the info BigCat! A lot of info...I'm gonna have to read a few times and see what fits.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear