over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

10 Machines You Shouldn't Use

What exercise would you recommend instead of any over-head presses for Delts? -StOrY

Over head press

As long as the shoulder girdle is stable and no history of shoulder problem there is no problem doing overhead presses.

If you want to use more weight try to do standing presses using a smith machine.

That will let you use higher loads because you don't have to use so much energy stabilizing the weight, and the fact that you are standing will let you shift your body to a position where no danger of damage to your RC can be done.

Make sure that you're not shrugging, your scapulae are still being depressed and avoid using this exercise for long cycles as the humerus is being driven downwards.

Good luck.

J

First off, where can you find a smith machine where you can actually do standing presses? And, I am short. Not being a smart ass what so ever, but, I have never seen one that's high enough and I train at a 24Hr Fitness where they would have every type of machine that makes no sense.

Put yourself in a split-squat position.

J

I've had a bad left patella ever since i dislocated it in the 8th grade. One thing I noticed is that leg extensions kill it. A few weeks ago I was doing leg extensions (should have known better) and the knee dislocated during the set. It was painful to say the least!

Just as I said. Leg extentions have there uses in rehab. Mainly spains
stretched legaments and torn tendons. No I would not recommend
this for a dislocation of the knee cap. course anything you do could
cause another dislocation since this has been an on going problem
in your case.

Last edited:
I can’t believe we’re actually debating the validity of this article. It’s obviously geared towards the average person. There’s no way they wrote this with an athlete/ bodybuilder in-mind.

What type of shoulder routine can you gain muscle without pressing towards the sky ?

I just can't imagine gaining alot of muscle from just lateral raises etc. etc.

I get a 45lb plate, sit down, legs spread and lift the plate up to my head keeping a stiff arm. It burns like hell for me. Every once in a while i do dumbell presses over the head, well until now:confused:

What about Hammer Strength equipment? I love that shoulder press for rest/pause sets. I always stay away from dips for my shoulder.....pops every time.

Just as I said. Leg extentions have there uses in rehab. Mainly spains
stretched legaments and torn tendons. No I would not recommend
this for a dislocation of the knee cap. course anything you do could
cause another dislocation since this has been an on going problem
in your case.

In rehabs, squats are better as they are more natural, recruit stabilizers, and put less torque and sheering forces on the knees.

Anyway, this article is just getting people away from machines and towards things that work stabilizers, core strength, etc. which is a good thing as I think people lack in that department.

Personally, I dont use any of those machines because my body prefers moving in free space rather than allowing a machine dictate my range or motion. Most machines Ive seen do not allow for people to get into their optimal leverages which is why I dont train any clients on them and have them stick to free weights.

I find the smith machine to be very useless beyond serving as a fixed bar for other movements (i.e. inverted row). Too easy to get overuse injuries from repeated movement patterns and you have to conform to the bar putting you in shitty positions.

In regards to overhead pressing, 99% does not press OH correctly (hell most dont bench correctly either). Additionally, a lot of shoulder pathologies come from poor form and unbalanced training leading to scapular impingements, imbalanced RC, etc. which will affect how things move in the shoulder joint.

Some people are born with type II and III acromions so they may not be able to see much OH pressing in their life, but the rule of thumb is just to avoid what hurts, figure out why it hurts, then act accordingly.

NEVER PUSH ANYTHING OVER YOUR HEAD.......YOU ARE ASKING FOR ROTATOR CUFF PROBLEMS

:confused:

I was always under the assumption that lateral type raises were worse for the rotator than say standing Military press.

In rehabs, squats are better as they are more natural, recruit stabilizers, and put less torque and sheering forces on the knees.

And that's your opinion and I'll respect that but I still disagree to a point.
I'll use my self as an example. I injured both knees years ago playing
football and squating was out of the question. Seated leg presses from then
on. At 285lbs I tried to squat just my weight about a
year ago and felt more discomfort then just putting on 40lbs lbs and
pumping 10 to 12 reps on a seated leg extention. Not looking to gain any
muscle of course but just to tone abit thats all.
And again no offence but I've been to a few rehab centers and some of
the things they had me do :rolleyes:
Now unless they've changed the style of leg extentions back in the 70's and 80's
most team trainers and Doctors highly recommended them for minor injuries
Gale Sayers swore by them.

Last edited:
Im a personal trainer and use everyone of those except for behind the neck pull down of course. I prefer free weights but machines are perfect for the beginners and even the pros can get good use out of them if used properly....

that was really interesting. As a personal trainer its good to know things like this,,, that way your clients feel more comfortable that you actually know what you are doing.

NEVER PUSH ANYTHING OVER YOUR HEAD.......YOU ARE ASKING FOR ROTATOR CUFF PROBLEMS

Ahh Come on. If you say A you have to say B...
Give us a sample workout for gaining mass on the shoulders without pushing overhead.

Ahh Come on. If you say A you have to say B...
Give us a sample workout for gaining mass on the shoulders without pushing overhead.

what about 1 arm dumbbell press with a superinated grip.

funny

I don't get it . . . it's ok to do tricep pressdowns, skulls, kickbacks, and every other tri extention you can think of on a machine, but not the leg extention?

Might as well just squat and bench only so as to not stress out the elbows and knees too much.

And might as well stop all clean and jerks and snatch. Would hate to drop the weight on myself. LOL.

Everything is about form. Presses, pulls, curls, whatever. Do it right or suffer for being stupid.

This article is written for gym idiots that "work out" yet don't have a clue as to what/why/how to work out. I could have written that article in one sentence. "If you are new to working out at a gym, hire a trainer."

i really want to know why phil doesn't like ANY pressing movements...

What type of shoulder routine can you gain muscle without pressing towards the sky ?

I just can't imagine gaining alot of muscle from just lateral raises etc. etc.

I have the same question!

How the hell you'd get those massive delts Phil?

I have recently been laying off shoulder presses myself. I went with strictly a variation of lateral movements, still high intensity and heavy as I can in good form and I'll tell you what, I feel all the benefits of the workouts with presses minus the joint discomfort/stress. In other words the only extra I feel like I got from shoulder workouts with presses was shoulder pain. Now I've been lifting for about 20yrs and been doing presses all along but I'm just experimenting more as I get older and this is one that I'm currently implementing. Not saying I won't ever do presses again or anything, we shall see. And I think laterals are a more natural movement for the should muscles also. Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131