advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

10 weeks out from 1st show. Comments/advice?

Necrias

Registered
Posing Practice 10 Weeks Out - YouTube

Had posing practice today 10 weeks out of the MN North Star. I still have a lot of work to do with posing and quite a bit of fat to take off, but I have come a LOOOONG way, started at a very fat and bloated 255, am 208 here. Comments and advice are welcome!!

Conditioning looks good for ten weeks out.

Your lower body is way in front of your upper body in terms of development, put a strong focus on arms, delts, traps for the next ten weeks.

Consider working with a good posing coach. Presentation is everything in bodybuilding and you have a lot of work to do.

Funny thing is... I do very little hypertrophy work for my legs. I have been competing in PL for the last 10 years, so have rarely done anything over 5 reps and no direct quad work for the last 5 years. The last 8-9 months have mostly been mobility work and corrective exercise for lower body. Genetics are a fickle bastard...

I know I have a lot of work to do with posing, have had no professional help yet and our local guy is.... well he is a shady fucker lol. But from here on out I will be practicing every day.

Thank you for your input, if you have anything else I would love to hear it. Others please chime in too!

Posing Practice 10 Weeks Out - YouTube

Had posing practice today 10 weeks out of the MN North Star. I still have a lot of work to do with posing and quite a bit of fat to take off, but I have come a LOOOONG way, started at a very fat and bloated 255, am 208 here. Comments and advice are welcome!!

I agree with Flex, as your posing need a lot of work. It's not aweful, but its not good because you are not showing your physique at it's best angles. However, your legs look great. Your quads have sweep and your hammies are thick. Get lean and you'll do well. I'm assuming you are doing novice or jr division. It would be cool for you and the board if you'll put up pics every few weeks so that we can see your progress and it will also help hold you accountable to your diet. Good luck!

Last edited:
Congrats on the progress so far. What's your height and what weight are you hopping to drop down to ? Also why did you decide to switch out of powerlifting and transition into BB ?

Last edited:
I agree with Flex, as your posing need a lot of work. It's not aweful, but its not good because you are not showing your physique at it's best angles. However, your legs look great. Your quads have sweep and your hammies are thick. Get lean and you'll do well. I'm assuming you are doing novice or jr division. It would be cool for you and the board if you'll put up pics every few weeks so that we can see your progress and it will also help hold you accountable to your diet. Good luck!

I am thinking of starting a log to track progress and share some of my methods, but between work, training, and other hobbies I am pretty busy and fear I won't post much.

Congrats on the progress so far. What's your height and what weight are you hopping to drop down to ? Also why did you decide to switch out of powerlifting and transition into BB ?

Thanks! I am 5-9 or so and 208 right now, will likely weigh in towards the top of the light heavies, 195 or so. I did pretty well in PL but years of going heavy all the time with very little breaks left me very tight and immobile, which led to constant joint pain. It would take me 30-60 minutes of mobility work before I could even get under the bar to squat, and it was still incredibly painful. After totalling 1650 raw last Nov I decided to take a break and try something else while letting my body heal. BB gives me the chance to train for something without demolishing my body. I plan to continue with BB after this show, but will also compete in PL in the offseason, I believe the two can be very complementary. I am finally at the point where I can squat pain-free with a minimal warmup, so my body is almost ready to push the limits again.

I am thinking of starting a log to track progress and share some of my methods, but between work, training, and other hobbies I am pretty busy and fear I won't post much.

Thanks! I am 5-9 or so and 208 right now, will likely weigh in towards the top of the light heavies, 195 or so. I did pretty well in PL but years of going heavy all the time with very little breaks left me very tight and immobile, which led to constant joint pain. It would take me 30-60 minutes of mobility work before I could even get under the bar to squat, and it was still incredibly painful. After totalling 1650 raw last Nov I decided to take a break and try something else while letting my body heal. BB gives me the chance to train for something without demolishing my body. I plan to continue with BB after this show, but will also compete in PL in the offseason, I believe the two can be very complementary. I am finally at the point where I can squat pain-free with a minimal warmup, so my body is almost ready to push the limits again.

A log would indeed be a thing to have you do for this board. The whole injury and aches and pain is what keeps me from powerlifting, but I love the community and mentality behind it , especially guys like Brandon Lilly, Jim Wendler, Dan Green etc. How do those guys keep on going day to day ? I know they have had a few injuries but it just seems like they keep coming back. Whats your training split like at the moment ?

I doubt you will be around 195 on stage prob around 185 think if you loose 10 lbs of fat which you have at least that to loose and 10 lbs of water that puts you 188.Unless you happen to grow into the show which does not happen too often. Also Posing def needs work you want to be able to present the best package possible on stage and if you do not know how to show it than you just hurt yourself. Doing good so far keep up the progress and keep pics posted.

A log would indeed be a thing to have you do for this board. The whole injury and aches and pain is what keeps me from powerlifting, but I love the community and mentality behind it , especially guys like Brandon Lilly, Jim Wendler, Dan Green etc. How do those guys keep on going day to day ? I know they have had a few injuries but it just seems like they keep coming back. Whats your training split like at the moment ?

If people will actually get some use out of it I would be glad to do it... I will work on it tonight and hopefully post before I go to bed :)

For several months after my last meet I trained full body and pushed it a little harder when things felt good. My body felt amazing and I lost fat pretty quickly despite crappy diet and little cardio. Around 24 weeks out I switched to a more traditional 4 day BB split, focusing on upper body since those are my weaknesses. After 8 weeks of that I was just as tight and sore as I was in PL, despite doing 20-30+ min of mobility work every day. So I have gone back to full body since then, and the results have been amazing both in how I look and feel. I lift every day (well, life sometimes gets in the way, so really it is 5-7 days per week), and each workout goes by the following guidelines:

Back/Bis- 1-3 exercises, 3-5 sets
Chest/Shoulders/Tris- 1-3 exercises, 3-5 sets
Legs- 1-3 exercises, 2-4 sets

The above are just guidelines, and there are huge amounts of variability and I go completely by feel while keeping things balanced. If I feel tight and sore I do a bunch of ROM exercises and mobility work and leave in 30-40 minutes. Other days are 2-3 hour marathon sessions. For example, today I focused on shoulders/arms and did the following in less than an hour:

1a) Seated DB Press- 4x25
1b) DB Hammer Curl- 3x10-15, 1x25 rep drop set
2a) Cable Tri Ext- 4x20 rep drop sets, huge ROM
2b) Concentration Curl- 3x10-15, 1x20 rep drop set
3a) DB Lateral Raise- 5x15
3b) DB Alt Curl- 5x10-12
4a) Split Squat- 3x6-8
4b) KB Single RDL- 3x15

I only pushed to NEAR failure on 1 set per exercise, and I feel fantastic right now! Going to push back real hard tomorrow, mostly deads and rear laterals cuz my arms are fried :)

I doubt you will be around 195 on stage prob around 185 think if you loose 10 lbs of fat which you have at least that to loose and 10 lbs of water that puts you 188.Unless you happen to grow into the show which does not happen too often. Also Posing def needs work you want to be able to present the best package possible on stage and if you do not know how to show it than you just hurt yourself. Doing good so far keep up the progress and keep pics posted.

I knew I would probably end up having to eat that statement LOL. You are right, I was only thinking of fat weight, I know pre-water cut I will prob have to be sitting around 195-198, and that would be "good" condition, but not great. I honestly just want to get my feet wet at this show and do the best I can without killing myself, then my goal for the next show is to beef up the upper body and fill out the LHW and hopefully come in shredded. But right now just stepping on stage and not looking terrible feels like it would be a huge accomplishment!

Regardless, thanks for your help and input, I will try to hammer the posing!

Your posing needs a lot of work. I would take a picture of each pose and put it on the forum for individual critique. Off the top of my head I'd say to focus on opening your lats more in the read double and not hiding your midsection on your front lat spread.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws