advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

16 year old from my area breaks powerlifting world record for his age group...

Big Vin

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
A 16-year-old native of San Antonio heralded as a “great all-around” student by officials at Holy Cross High School broke two international powerlifting records this week.

Joseph Peña, a soon-to-be junior at the West Side private school, kicked off his summer vacation by competing in the sub-junior division at the International Powerlifting Raw World Championship in Salo, Finland, representing the United States team.

“I had been hitting squats higher than the record for two years in meets and in training,” Peña said by phone on Thursday. “When I was picked in for the team in October, I knew it was just a matter of time. All that hard work paid off.”

RELATED: 30 rising star high school athletes in the San Antonio area to watch

Peña lifted 722 pounds on the squat, breaking the previous 573-pound record for his weight and age group set by Ukrainian Fedorov Mykhailo in June 2013.

But Peña wasn’t finished leaving his mark on the record books. He also broke the previous total weight lifted record of 1,692 pounds with his achievement of 1,703 pounds. Both of the records are for the class of 16- to 19-year-olds weighing 264 pounds or more.

16-year-old San Antonio student breaks 2 powerlifting world records overseas - San Antonio Express-News

Wow. Wonder how far he is throwing the shot put?

A 16 year old squatted 722 pounds!? DAYUM!:eek:

lots of weight, but he still looks like a fatty even with a jacket on. The only person that cares about how much weight you squat or bench is another dude. Women never care about that and most don`t know what a lot of weight is.

lots of weight, but he still looks like a fatty even with a jacket on. The only person that cares about how much weight you squat or bench is another dude. Women never care about that and most don`t know what a lot of weight is.

Maybe he's not doing it to impress women...............:lightbulb:

so you do this for girls?

Why are you hating on the kid? That's big weight for that age. Heck that's nice weight for most of us!

Ya, pretty stupid comment. So he has to be a bodybuilder or look like a physique athlete to be a powerlifter? Maybe he is just focused on being strong, maybe he is a lineman for the football team.

Very impressive. Inspiring as well...I think 16 was when I first tried working out, quarter-repping 135lbs on the squats and feeling like a badass lol! He beat that record by 150 pounds :eek:

6' 315lbs does seem a bit scary for only 16 years old, but he's found something that drives his life and he's eating to support it, gotta give him props for his drive and dedication.

Very impressive. Inspiring as well...I think 16 was when I first tried working out, quarter-repping 135lbs on the squats and feeling like a badass lol! He beat that record by 150 pounds :eek:

6' 315lbs does seem a bit scary for only 16 years old, but he's found something that drives his life and he's eating to support it, gotta give him props for his drive and dedication.

Agree, he's not out gang banging getting into trouble with cops. More kids need something positive to put their time and energy into. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself. I have a 20 year old friend who did a lot of powerlifting a few years ago and had to get surgery on both knees...

He sorta looks like the kid Manny from modern family, lol

IIRC, George Leeman was insanely strong at that age - pulling and squatting 700 pounds

and by "that age" I mean between 16 and 19 (I believe he was around 19)

Yeah...he's only a global elite level athlete in his age group and I'll go out on a limb and guess that he has more than this going for him....I sure hope he can find a girlfriend.

Good for that kid!! Sounds like he has a bright future ahead for him in powerlifting and academics!

Joseph Pena

Sorry had to reply - you can YouTube this kid and check out his "fatty" body. He's an honor student all state football player as a sophomore and state qualified in the shot. He's been doing Mark Rippetoes starting strength program since he was 8 yo. Yes 8. He's a 3 time FBU/Adidas youth all American and played in the all star game just after the U.S. Army all American game. He has been dating a nice young lady who also power lifts as well and plays basketball and runs hurdles. Did his first meet at 8 for fun and the broke all the AAU Jr Olympic records at 13 yo. Thank you guys for the positive comments and those who can't seam to appreciate what a great accomplishment this is prob should do a little more research.

Sorry had to reply - you can YouTube this kid and check out his "fatty" body. He's an honor student all state football player as a sophomore and state qualified in the shot. He's been doing Mark Rippetoes starting strength program since he was 8 yo. Yes 8. He's a 3 time FBU/Adidas youth all American and played in the all star game just after the U.S. Army all American game. He has been dating a nice young lady who also power lifts as well and plays basketball and runs hurdles. Did his first meet at 8 for fun and the broke all the AAU Jr Olympic records at 13 yo. Thank you guys for the positive comments and those who can't seam to appreciate what a great accomplishment this is prob should do a little more research.

We need more kids like this. Good for him.

Squatting 722 pounds deep in only knee sleeves and a belt at 16 years old is phenomenal. I've competed in powerlifting for a long time and never seen that kind of strength at that age, maybe Mark Henry is the only one that even comes to mind. At 18 you start to see some impressive lifters but 16 is really young. Good for the kid, imagine he should have a great future, also sounds like a smart grounded kid.

Not to attack you, but that is an unfair comment. Reason being, for me, Bodybuilding contest are boring. I have no desire to watch a man pose in a man-kini. Not bashing it, but it's boring to me. I've been heavily following powerlifting and strongman/women events since my mid-20s. I, along with most of the people that I know who do powerlifting and strongman comps don't do it for the women, but do it to push their bodies to new levels. Again, not bashing those that bodybuild, but there are a ton of people that lift whom have no desire to look like a bodybuilder and they do care about how much they bench/squat deadlift without worrying if a woman will find them attractive or not.

I think his lifts are very impressive, and hope to see more of him as he ages and see just how far he can push himself. Hope he can also stay injury free!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws