over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

19 Oregon football players treated for rare muscle injury

communistkiller

Registered

School officials, parents and players remained puzzled Sunday over what caused 19 members of a high school football team in northwest Oregon to suffer muscle damage, which required three of them to undergo surgery, following a fall camp.

The 19 McMinnville High School players all had elevated levels of the enzyme creatine kinase, or CK, which is released by muscles when they're injured, said Dr. Craig Winkler of Willamette Valley Medical Center. High CK levels can lead to kidney failure if not properly treated.

Winkler called the epidemic "weird," saying: "To have this number of athletes in one single community in one environment is very unusual."

Three of the players also were diagnosed with a rare soft-tissue condition called "compartment syndrome," which caused soreness and swelling in their triceps. They underwent surgery to relieve the pressure, Winkler said.

Five of the athletes were treated in the emergency room and sent home. The other 11 were admitted to the hospital and given intravenous fluids to maintain adequate hydration and prevent kidney failure, he said.

Ten boys remained hospitalized Sunday, but they were in good condition and were expected to be released Monday, said Rosemari Davis, Willamette Valley Medical Center's chief executive officer.

Officials said the epidemic's cause is still a mystery, but high CK levels can result from vigorous exercise or the use of certain medications or food supplements.

Before their symptoms started this past week, the players were at an immersion camp organized by first-year coach Jeff Kearin. Winkler said they worked out last Sunday at the high school's wrestling room, where temperatures reached 115 degrees.

He said the high temperature and dehydration may have played a role. He also said officials will look at water sources and what the kids had to drink, including power mixes.

Winkler said blood test results expected Tuesday could show whether the athletes ingested creatine, which is found in legal high-powered protein supplements. He added officials are not testing for steroids because it would be unlikely for that many students to have access, and "creatine makes way more sense."

Two players said Sunday they weren't sure what caused their injuries but supplements were not a factor.

Fullback and linebacker Jacob Montgomery, one of the 10 still hospitalized, said he first experienced a tightness in his triceps and forearms Tuesday.

"They swelled to the verge of popping," the 17-year-old senior said in a telephone interview. "I thought it was just swelling from an intense workout."

Montgomery said he went to the hospital Wednesday after learning another player went to get checked out.

He and fellow senior Josh Nice both said they haven't taken any supplements or performance enhancers and neither have any of the other players.

"They don't know what's behind this whole thing," said Nice, a wide receiver hospitalized since Friday. He added he hopes to return to practice as soon as possible.

Winkler said the hospital and school began screening players for CK after the first few were brought to the hospital early last week.

The normal range for CK is 35 to 232 units per liter, but some students showed levels as high as 42,000, putting them at risk of kidney injury, Winkler said. Those with levels in the 3,000 range were treated in the hospital's emergency room and released, while those with levels above 10,000 were admitted.

Superintendent Maryalice Russell told The Oregonian newspaper she doesn't believe Kearin's workout was excessive. She also said she has no evidence steroids or supplements were involved.

"I don't have any information at this time that would indicate that's the case," she said. "I'm continuing to look at additional information as it may come my way."

Tom Welter, Oregon School Activities Association executive director, said the organization's medical committee will investigate and make recommendations to the executive board after its next meeting in September. The OSAA oversees school sports in the state.

"It's a really bizarre situation," said Nice's mother, Margaret Nice, whose son Daniel also remains hospitalized. "But we're all trying to hang in here and hope and pray that they can come up with the answer to what caused this."

Practices for all fall sports start Monday.

"We just want our boys to get better, and they're all anxious to get out on the field," Margaret Nice said.

This could be terrible for the legality of creatine. The news this morning on every channel was hammering on this as "the kids are dying because of creatine supplements" even though there is no evidence that they were taking it. My suspicion is that they had their damn arms wrapped, worked out in hot temps getting a heavy pump, and this caused their injuries.

I fear that any day now we'll have some douchebag in congress calling for a ban on creatine "for the children" to help their re-election campaign.

i was reading this thinking it was just parents way over reacting, as a friend of mine had his CK levels checked on time and they were pretty high, like 1000 or something, mostly cause he did morning fasted cardio before the blood work.

CK levels of 42 000 just boggles my mind, Something is definitely going on there....

Back in college I had to go to the hospital during fall training camp (football) for full body cramps after practicing.. CK levels were something like 42,000 for me as well. I was plenty hydrated, hadn't lifted hard in a week or so. They said it was just from muscle breakdown from running, etc. I was one of those all-out guys haha.

Well the report has them saying they did not take creatine, at least the one's they spoke to. All the same I see this being something that could spell trouble.

With that many guys injured, I would say that the coach just destroyed them in practice.. especially with those "immersion" tactics in the wrestling room.. 115 degrees!

Mine happened on a normal day of practice, granted that's hot and humid as hell in GA but with that many kids hurt that's the most likely.

Superintendent has no idea what goes on at practices - that's just a PR statement.

ok lets forget about the ck levels for a second....why the hell did this effect their triceps only? I smell something fishy. Is it so far fetched that these guys got ahold of something dirty and injected it into each others triceps? i mean these kids sound hardcore. they are talking about getting back on the field with an IV in their arms and draining their triceps cuz they are ready to explode! WTF!!! popping a needle in their triceps doesnt seem like a big deal.
I highly doubt creatine caused exploding triceps. at least i have never seen it!!!

Kids do stupid things especially if their friends buy into it too. Anyone agree?

Lucian

YEs these kids injected something into their triceps. Proabably a suepension that crystalized then caused swelling. Duh! This is so obvious its stupid.

Maybe. In a few. But if that were the case, every new US soldier would be in the hospital after the second day in Boot Camp.

Yep, they took something. I wonder if they even injected creatine itself into their tri's. Sounds like some stupid shit kids might do in High School.

its strange how its only in ONE tricep on each kid. not both.....and none of the other kids had any effects even similar to the ones in the hospital.

These little fuckers should just come clean and say what really happened before OPERATION SUPPLEMENT GRINDER happens. How pissed would we all be if supplements became Illegal because some kids shot bunk gear in their triceps?

its strange how its only in ONE tricep on each kid. not both.....and none of the other kids had any effects even similar to the ones in the hospital.

These little fuckers should just come clean and say what really happened before OPERATION SUPPLEMENT GRINDER happens. How pissed would we all be if supplements became Illegal because some kids shot bunk gear in their triceps?

Oh, no doubt! Time to bring in the Spanish Inquisition on their dumb asses.

Maybe. In a few. But if that were the case, every new US soldier would be in the hospital after the second day in Boot Camp.

Not uncommon at all actually. Of course military cases aren't reported to the media and sensationalized for public consumption like this has been.

**broken link removed**

A CK of 42,000 is actually not that high post strenuous exercise and this is well documented. Marathon runners have been documented with CKs > 100,000 with no ill effects on renal function. 50 maximal eccentric contractions of the elbow flexors in only one arm have documented CKs @ 40,000. The military article above mentions documented CKs of 600,000.

"Our laboratory over the past 20 yr has used strenuous one-arm exercise to examine muscle soreness, muscle function loss, and serum CK elevation produced by exercise-induced muscle injury. We and others have observed that some subjects are high responders to this standard exercise with the postexercise blood CK values as high as 40,000 but without renal failure. Conclusions: Exertional muscle damage produced by eccentric exercise in healthy individuals can cause profound CK and Mb elevations without renal impairment." Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise®. 2006;38(4):623-627. © 2006 American College of Sports Medicine

Of course these one arm eccentrics were done under controlled conditions, probably in a lab with AC. So how is it such a mystery that kids subjected to high intensity full body exercise, exacerbated by elevated heat & humidity, deconditioning and dehydration, have CKs the same or less? Its not a mystery. Its over sensationalized media hype and physicians who are not used to seeing CK levels post intense exercise so they get freaked out. The military article explains how compartment syndrome can develop in relation to to rhabdo. There is a very wide range of response across individuals to the same exercise, "high responders" as they call them. Which is why there was such a variation amongst the team.

This is well documented in the literature. Not sure why no one realizes this. The documented literature is much more likely to be correct obviously than the various conspiracy theories you guys have managed to create, like injecting creatine into the triceps. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Not uncommon at all actually. Of course military cases aren't reported to the media and sensationalized for public consumption like this has been.

**broken link removed**

A CK of 42,000 is actually not that high post strenuous exercise and this is well documented. Marathon runners have been documented with CKs > 100,000 with no ill effects on renal function. 50 maximal eccentric contractions of the elbow flexors in only one arm have documented CKs @ 40,000. The military article above mentions documented CKs of 600,000.

"Our laboratory over the past 20 yr has used strenuous one-arm exercise to examine muscle soreness, muscle function loss, and serum CK elevation produced by exercise-induced muscle injury. We and others have observed that some subjects are high responders to this standard exercise with the postexercise blood CK values as high as 40,000 but without renal failure. Conclusions: Exertional muscle damage produced by eccentric exercise in healthy individuals can cause profound CK and Mb elevations without renal impairment." Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise®. 2006;38(4):623-627. © 2006 American College of Sports Medicine

Of course these one arm eccentrics were done under controlled conditions, probably in a lab with AC. So how is it such a mystery that kids subjected to high intensity full body exercise, exacerbated by elevated heat & humidity, deconditioning and dehydration, have CKs the same or less? Its not a mystery. Its over sensationalized media hype and physicians who are not used to seeing CK levels post intense exercise so they get freaked out. The military article explains how compartment syndrome can develop in relation to to rhabdo. There is a very wide range of response across individuals to the same exercise, "high responders" as they call them. Which is why there was such a variation amongst the team.

This is well documented in the literature. Not sure why no one realizes this. The documented literature is much more likely to be correct obviously than the various conspiracy theories you guys have managed to create, like injecting creatine into the triceps. Jeez. :rolleyes:

so all these studies had one tricep about to explode? so why didnt the WHOLE team have exploding triceps? im not talking about ck studies. i dont care about the hot weather ect. im talking about some bullshit exploding triceps and nobody knows why. So where is the EXPLODING TRICEP studies? i gotta see them!! Did you hear about the football players that ordered trenX?they all got gyno and continued to take it. now they are suing the company that made it. A sipmle google search would have let them know what it REALY was and it wasnt a supplement.

Kids are looking for an edge. and they are not informed. they do stupid things. I crushed up anadrol and shot it before.....because i thought it would work better. So i was one of the stupid kids at one time!

lucian.

so all these studies had one tricep about to explode? so why didnt the WHOLE team have exploding triceps? im not talking about ck studies. i dont care about the hot weather ect. im talking about some bullshit exploding triceps and nobody knows why. So where is the EXPLODING TRICEP studies? i gotta see them!! Did you hear about the football players that ordered trenX?they all got gyno and continued to take it. now they are suing the company that made it. A sipmle google search would have let them know what it REALY was and it wasnt a supplement.

Kids are looking for an edge. and they are not informed. they do stupid things. I crushed up anadrol and shot it before.....because i thought it would work better. So i was one of the stupid kids at one time!

lucian.

Wow, that went right over your head huh? :banghead: All of the answers to your questions were answered. You either didn't read or you didn't comprehend what you read. You would need to acquire a better understanding of the pathophysiology of rhabdo and how compartment syndrome can occur secondary to rhabdo for us to be able to have this discussion. Otherwise we'll just be going around and around here. Its akin to trying to teach someone to write but they haven't learned their ABCs. I don't have time to teach you the ABCs, that would require initiative on your part. Initiative does not entail completely unrelated past experiences of gyno from PH use or the stupid shit you did in your past. Initiative entails educating yourself so you don't say stupid shit like "I don't care about the muscle damage or the 115 degree weather, I just want to know why their triceps are swollen" as if they are mutually exclusive. Read, learn. All of the answers are there. ;)

Rex.

WTF were these kids in a room that was 115 degree!!!!!!!! Boggles my mind to think that shit like this goes on in a high school. The coach not only should be fired, but charged with endangerment.

WTF were these kids in a room that was 115 degree!!!!!!!! Boggles my mind to think that shit like this goes on in a high school. The coach not only should be fired, but charged with endangerment.

Shit they practice in AZ in 115 degrees.. but I agree he shouldn't have put them in a room on purpose that hot. I'd bet the coaches out in AZ would rather have it cooler.

Wow, that went right over your head huh? :banghead: All of the answers to your questions were answered. You either didn't read or you didn't comprehend what you read. You would need to acquire a better understanding of the pathophysiology of rhabdo and how compartment syndrome can occur secondary to rhabdo for us to be able to have this discussion. Otherwise we'll just be going around and around here. Its akin to trying to teach someone to write but they haven't learned their ABCs. I don't have time to teach you the ABCs, that would require initiative on your part. Initiative does not entail completely unrelated past experiences of gyno from PH use or the stupid shit you did in your past. Initiative entails educating yourself so you don't say stupid shit like "I don't care about the muscle damage or the 115 degree weather, I just want to know why their triceps are swollen" as if they are mutually exclusive. Read, learn. All of the answers are there. ;)

Rex.

hey rex
thanks for being a snotty asshole, now kiss my ass. teach me? remember when lee priest took a bad shot of winny, and his whole arm swelled up and had to be drained? sounds alot more like these kids than your stupid study!
now you have been schooled!

BTW mma fighters train in a sauna all the time wrapped in rubber suits. they do push ups, jump rope, shadow box....and whata ya know....no exploding tricep mr rex!!!

explanation....or should i get you your ABC's book to relearn your shit!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131